Installing backup camera 1989 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a Pioneer head unit with a backup camera to replace the stock radio. Question #1: How do you tap into the backup lights and where? Question #2: Where do you install/tap the emergency break cable from the Pioneer unit?

Thanks for your help!

i have a pioneer nex deck in my truck. i tapped into the e brake harness right at the ebrake lever. i you lift your boot off you'll see a green wire (i think its green) on a switch. its a single wire from what i recall and i just tapped into that. for the back up camera i have a cable that has a camera wire and a red wire for back up light signal. i just tapped into my back up lights at the rear housing. tap in on the harness side instead of the tail light housing because you can still take your light housing out by disconnecting the stock harness that way. it was pretty simple. my only mistake is where i put my camera. post up a picture of where your putting yours. i'd like some ideas. i put mine on the fuel basket on my rear bumper swing out and i can't see my trailer hitch so it's useless for hooking up a trailer which is really what i wanted it for

Thanks! I was able to locate a 1988 F60 wiring diagram (I thought 88 was a FJ62...?) and the parking brake is shown to have a Red/Wht wire. I'll verify when I get in the truck. I saw another post that contained pictures of a harness near the left side kick panel. Apparently you can tap into the backup light there? Seems it would be easier just to tap into the rear harness as you described. I'll report on the final connections in a few days. THanks again!

The e brake wire can be worked around is your head unit a DVD player also? If so that's really what the e brake wire is for so you are not watching the DVD going down the road but you do need to hook up to the reverse circuit unless you want to put it on a switch so you can see backwards when you're going forward.

The e brake wire can be worked around is your head unit a DVD player also? If so that's really what the e brake wire is for so you are not watching the DVD going down the road but you do need to hook up to the reverse circuit unless you want to put it on a switch so you can see backwards when you're going forward.

some decks also require the ebrake (signal from the ebrake) to be activated when doing a firmware update. mine worked without it until the new update came out. then i couldn’t get it to update until i hooked up that wire. it’s a safety thing for sure but worth doing while in there or you might have troubles later

I mounted mine directly above my trailer hitch. Made a bracket out of a thin gauge bracket I had lying around

I used a license plate style camera. No need to mount anything- it’s built into the bar that spans the mounting holes. Super easy.
the better cameras like pioneer require mounting. I did it once and it was a bit of a PITA.

It’d be great to tap power off the reverse light switch so when you go into reverse it powers the reverse lights and backup camera.
I thought about doing that but the reverse light switch is on the top of the transmission. You’d need to pull the carpet, remove the shifter boots, and the transmission tunnel cover. It’s way easier to tap into the reverse light at the back of the truck.

I thought about doing that but the reverse light switch is on the top of the transmission. You’d need to pull the carpet, remove the shifter boots, and the transmission tunnel cover. It’s way easier to tap into the reverse light at the back of the truck.
I have a NV4500 with a new reverse circuit I ran so mine would be easy.

Reviving this thread in-case its helpful for the next guy. I installed the rearview camera Boyo VTL375 and the install was pretty easy. I routed the power for the camera and the LED light to the reverse light in the rear of the vehicle, right at the tail light but behind the connector like @franklin40 recommended. The RCA cable that connects to the head unit had another red lead I spliced into the same connection at the reverse light and again at the head unit. In my case, I've got a Pioneer NEX1500 and there's wire to tap into so it auto-switches to the camera while in reverse. Works flawlessly and the camera video quality is pretty good.

Reviving this thread in-case its helpful for the next guy. I installed the rearview camera Boyo VTL375 and the install was pretty easy. I routed the power for the camera and the LED light to the reverse light in the rear of the vehicle, right at the tail light but behind the connector like @franklin40 recommended. The RCA cable that connects to the head unit had another red lead I spliced into the same connection at the reverse light and again at the head unit. In my case, I've got a Pioneer NEX1500 and there's wire to tap into so it auto-switches to the camera while in reverse. Works flawlessly and the camera video quality is pretty good.
Dear Turd
Im about to take this on... Just to be clear. You used the red wire (attached to the RCA) to pull power from the reverse light and connect it to the provided head unit backup wire? Basically an extension cord?
Sincerely,
Bagel

Exactly, my camera had an LED backup light as well so both that wire and the red power i spliced into the backup light power.
hardest part was finding a good ground, I made a new ground point on the rear frame and it’s working great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom