Installing an 81 hardtop onto my 74 (keeping the hatch) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roboosfj40s that look really good. If I didn't know better I would think its OE.

Thanks for posting Roboosfj40.

It does look stock when finished. Anyone else with pictures/tips?

That looks nice and clean :beer:

What seats are those?

Thanks for the nice comment. The front seats came out of a Honda City and the fold and tuck rear seat came out of a LC Prado. I really like them much better than the Recaro I had in there.

Roboosfj40s that look really good. If I didn't know better I would think its OE.

Thank you, I still have a lot of interior work but hey, its an FJ40 do we ever stop tinkering with these things? lol!:beer:

I've been asked to take some measurements of the holes and notches in a 74ish Visor (as pictured in post #2). I'm opting to post the answer here for future reference of others.

Measuring from the left side, there are four holes (apx 3/8" in diameter) at 5", 20", 35 3/8", and 51". These holes line up with the holes in the windshield frame.

There are also four notches/cut outs, 2" wide and 1" deep. Two are over the wipers on a left hand drive, and I suspect the other two would clear the wipers on a right hand drive (they seem to serve no purpose on a right hand drive and could be left out). these cutouts are at 12", 24", 31 3/4", and 43 7/8".

I hope this makes sense. I can try to clarify if there are still questions.
:cheers:

81 hard top compatibility

Wondering what years of hard tops ARE compatible with an 81 rig? I've got an 81 I want to throw a hard top on, not sure what years will fit easily though....

The difference is in the rear ambulance doors. Post corrugated sides should all fit. Are the corners of your tub, by the ambulance doors, rounded?

75 and newer have the same front visor.

77 Factory soft top, want hard top

I just bought a beautiful 77 FST, it has the lift gate on the back and the original bows and all that. I want to get a hard top to put on during the winter. I was originally wanting the ambulance doors, but after further reading I dont want to drill holes into my FJ. Not yet at least!

I read about some possible solutions, right now I am thinking to get a 77 or newer top (with the vents?) and try to put a hatch on the back, which may be hard because the newer models all had the ambulance doors.

I also saw that although ambulance doors were put on standard from 75 on, but lift gate and hatch remained an option. Has anyone ever seen this configuration?

I guess my question is, does anyone have any recommendations on the easiest or most non-intrusive way to put a hard top on a 77 FST? I can budge on the vent windows and other things :)

Thanks!!

James

I've never seen a 75+ top with a hatch stock. The conversion isn't hard and can be done many different ways.

Option 1: get a newer top and add a hatch. Factory pre 75 or aftermarket (Aqualu or similar)
Option 2: buy an older top, modify the visor, add vertical bar to side windows using donor hardware and windows from a newer top.

Question: is the soft top strip across the Front windshield welded on in 77?

The vent windows are very worthwhile :D even if they aren't as pretty.
:cheers:

I think im going for option number 1. I looked up more, and it seems the option of hatch with gate was only offered outside of the US...

Im not sure if i have the soft top strip, I will be seeing my car tonight. Is there a picture or reference that I could look at?

I started this thread because of all the questions I was seeing about tops... Anyone else have pictures or info to add to it?

If you go that route, add some pictures... You're not the first, and certainly won't be the last.

parts list: 72ish lift gate on 77 top

Great thread, thanks for all the good advice and excellent photos!

I have:
1. top sides from a '77 (vent windows),
2. Fiberglass cap with good rain gutter, etc, one from a '76 and one from a '77.

turns out I have a '72ish tub. (77 cowl with 1972 tub (3/4) welded on)

From this thread, I gather that if I can find:
1. Rear support bar from a 72 top along with the
2. Lift gate with hinges, etc,

Will it bolt right up provided i drill/tap the holes in the 77 sides for the struts and strikers in the right place?

I have a borrowed '71 top that i can use to make a template to make sure I get the strut holes lined up. I might throw that top on too just to see how it fits.

Great thread, thanks for all the good advice and excellent photos!

I have:
1. top sides from a '77 (vent windows),
2. Fiberglass cap with good rain gutter, etc, one from a '76 and one from a '77.

turns out I have a '72ish tub. (77 cowl with 1972 tub (3/4) welded on)

From this thread, I gather that if I can find:
1. Rear support bar from a 72 top along with the
2. Lift gate with hinges, etc,

Will it bolt right up provided i drill/tap the holes in the 77 sides for the struts and strikers in the right place?

I have a borrowed '71 top that i can use to make a template to make sure I get the strut holes lined up. I might throw that top on too just to see how it fits.

That's pretty much it. Some of the rear supports (header bar) had two holes on each end rather than one (easy fix)

I've compared the different header bars, and I'm sure an ambulance door header bar could be modified to take hatch hinges. Which just leaves the hatch, hinges, strikers, and struts (gas or stock).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom