Inspired Snorkel Fab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After seeing the snorkel that crushers had a hand inI am feeling inspired. So one question I have is, the Ram style intake on a Safari snorlek, dose it not take in any water in the rain? If it was mounted say 6" above the hood height dose anyone think there would be problems with rain or splashing from other cars in the rain? I have been looking at the style of snorkels on the military G Wagons and am going to attempt to fab up something similar. Thanks for any advice and opinions. This is the best pic I can find.
gwagonmed.jpg

i have been told, very little rain gets in..... can't see how a sorkel gives much ramed air, to may bends and air friction, i would think... but not sure.

Here is a little better angel. I am thinking I may go a littler shorter. My main objective is to get better air to the engine and I am not going in water above my hood. I was thinking ram style maybe not quite the function of the word, but I do think it would be an improvement to the current intake location and efficiency.
KA2004-R102-077a_sm.jpg

if you are concerned about the moisture getting in make the top 6" straight up and then make the top rotational, a good muffler shop can flare the base perfectly for a friction fit, turn ahead when driving highway and back for the bush or rainy days...
thanks for the compliment
cheers

some of the guys with the toyota trucks run a pipe from their filter can into the cavity below the wind shield on the firewall. they keep it up off the bottom so any water that gets in there falls below and there is a drain in the bottom so it wont fill up. also this is a high pressure area below the windshield for highway driving, that is where the cowl induction hoods let the air in from.it seems like you would have to get quite a bit of water over the hood to suck in any in, and even then the feed to the intake is on the top of the filter. just food for thought.

It's actually pretty easy to wash a lot of water over the hood. If you don't ever go deep enough for this to be an issue, the the "from the fender or cowling" type "snorkles" work pretty well.

But if you're doing alot of water crossings, then skip this approach and go with a full size external snorkle.

In my experience water getting into a front facing snorkle head is not a problem.

Mark...

i agree with Mark, it is easy to get a wave over the hood... think ahead. fender height or hood height is not a practicle idea...

I have the same fear with my safari snorkel .. but here in Panamá we have 8 moth of pouring rain .. so I pay atention to the air ram performance in detail ..

If you look closer the air ram have some outers spaces in the base ( neck ) when you are running under rain situations most ( I thought 99% ) of the water goes out of the aire ram throught this holes in the base ..

Cheking my air filter after long rainni trip .. and no water on it ..

Just you have other options as factory snorkel air ram .. like a hat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom