craigslist Inspection Report - 1997 Lexus LX 450 $4,900 (Sacramento, CA) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

97 Lexus LX 450

NOT MINE. NOT AFFILIATED.

For any that may be interested in this rig, I did an inspection of it this past weekend (March 11-12), as I was very interested in purchasing. I passed, and I'll explain to you why, but let me give you the details about it first:

1997 Lexus LX 450 - completely stock.
Has 275k miles on a rebuilt engine.
Belonged to a Lexus Representative it's entire life.
Went to auction, picked up by Brocco Motors, the current seller in Sacramento, CA.
All genuine Lexus parts, including the battery.
Everything works inside (seat motors, buttons, AC, heater, sunroof...everything).
Carpet is near new with minor stains here and there.
Leather seats and center console are a bit cracked, but no rips, overall good condition.
No rust on the undercarriage.
The first engine bay that I've ever seen looking in "like-new" condition. Seriously clean. Most parts look new.
Fully locked.
Michelin LTX MS tires with 40% life. Minor wear on the insides.
Drives and shifts fine. Needs alignment. Possible steering wheel adjustment.

Here's why I passed:
Vehicle was in a t-bone accident involving heavy damage to the drivers side a-pillar area in 2003. It was inspected and cleared after repair with a clean title, but my inspection resulted in finding the dirty sins - The drivers side body mount is not straight, and shows that the vehicle has physically "shrunk" on that side. The bottom door well is not straight, and resulting in the body mold (right above the step) not fitting correctly anymore.
Also, the drivers side door is heavily BONDO'd, and is now cracking at the bottom of the door mold.
The drivers side a-pillar has a lump in it if you run your hand across.
The drivers side mirror has a loose/stripped screw making it flop around. The mirror motor is jacked up too. They've wedged a piece of foam in there to keep it from shaking.
The windshield has about a 3" bulls-eye on the passenger side. A new windshield may never seal properly due to the a-pillar damage.
The battery is completely dead, will run with a jump. Battery cables have seen better days.
Body is showing red coloration around repainted corners and around the roof rack.
Passenger side sun visor has gone limp.
Has lockers, but was retrofitted, probably by the dealer (VIN door sticker shows K292).

I hope that this may save someone the 4 hours I spent inspecting this thing. It's a great rig if all you want to do with is is buy groceries and go to soccer games, but for my needs, I need a structurally sound body.

Let me know if you have any questions. I do have photos if anyone is that interested, I do not have them hosted yet.

Nice report :clap:

Maybe post the VIN in the body of your post to make it google-machine-able.

Nice report :clap:

Maybe post the VIN in the body of your post to make it google-machine-able.
Ah, good advice! Does it count if I put the VIN in a comment?

VIN #JTGHJ88JXV0179853

I'd like to give a status update on this LX 450:

There is a new ad for this rig. It looks like someone purchased it and is now trying to turn it over for $7,500. The original asking price when I inspected it was $4,900. Please consider my inspection. Yes, this is the same truck, same license plate.
1997 lexus lx450

So what is the VIN code for lockers?
Great report on the rig. thanks for posting.

Arch

So what is the VIN code for lockers?
Great report on the rig. thanks for posting.

Arch
Thanks! It's my pleasure to look out for Mud members.

It's on the drivers side door sticker:
K292 = No lockers
K294 = Lockers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom