Inexpensive medium weight jacket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kohl's should have decent sales this time of year on Columbia brand coats. I got a really nice medium weight one this time last year for $40.
Ross, Marshalls, and TJ Max have bailed me out of more than one forgotten jacket mishap with ~$50 Columbia jackets. Not waterproof much beyond a drizzle.

I augment the above Columbias with a high quality rain jacket over it. Provides wind and water protection AND adds a good bit of warmth. Find one with pit zips. I have a specific REI model I bought large enough to go over full-on winter clothes. Layers, ya know?

I'm cursed with Kuhl's. I have a total of 5 pants and shorts from them. The only ones that didn't get stained with black crap of some sort by the second wearing is the pair I haven't worn yet. But damn $10 Walmart clearance pants don't stain no matter what I get into!

BTW, Kuhl jackets probably aren't for you if you're overweight. Especially if you need a wide range of movement.

Update: still haven’t puked the trigger on a jacket. But I THINK I know which one I’m going to get. I’m also planning on layering (I normally do anyway...) since the temps will be around 40F while there but can fluctuate.

I just checked Sierra trading post. Honestly if you are not going to be wearing said jacket doing aerobic activities Columbia is hard to beat in terms of price, function, and durability. Only disadvantage is they tend to not breath as well as the more expensive mountaineering brands.
There are 2 differant “3 in ones” on there and the Columbia Rockaway intermountain for $49 and then 25% off is hard to beat. Just go to Sierra trading post -> men’s jackets -> Columbia.

I just checked Sierra trading post. Honestly if you are not going to be wearing said jacket doing aerobic activities Columbia is hard to beat in terms of price, function, and durability. Only disadvantage is they tend to not breath as well as the more expensive mountaineering brands.
There are 2 differant “3 in ones” on there and the Columbia Rockaway intermountain for $49 and then 25% off is hard to beat. Just go to Sierra trading post -> men’s jackets -> Columbia.

I have a NorthFace 3 in 1 that I think I may just bring the shell with. It’s waterproof. Has vents I can unzip. Not a bad coat. Just not loving the new NF stuff and was looking for an excuse to spend money...

I tried this one on in the store yesterday. This is the one I was thinking of pulling the trigger on. Lightweight and stretchy. Water resistant. Wind resistant.

I have a couple of those softshell tactical jackets off Amazon. They are actually fairly useful. I am not disappointed I purchased them.

I’ve got 20 year old Patagonia gear still going strong!

Norway and Sweden in March? Lows will be below freezing. I would look on ebay for a warm water resistant goose down jacket with a hood. Marmot or Northface would be good but most any backpacking brand will do. You might get by with the Amazon
Essential Light Weight Down Jacket, $60, but get it big enough to wear layers underneath.

Avoid the fashion models. A jacket made from light weight nylon and at least 600 cu in/oz loft would be best, making a jacket that is very compressible, warm and light weight.

Norway and Sweden in March? Lows will be below freezing. I would look on ebay for a warm water resistant goose down jacket with a hood. Marmot or Northface would be good but most any backpacking brand will do. You might get by with the Amazon
Essential Light Weight Down Jacket, $60, but get it big enough to wear layers underneath.

Avoid the fashion models. A jacket made from light weight nylon and at least 600 cu in/oz loft would be best, making a jacket that is very compressible, warm and light weight.

It may be below freezing, but it's not -50 F wind chill Iowa cold.

BTW, a pic from last week from my wife's friend's island, near Goteborg

50846590_10156918670986530_3141216587827118080_n.jpg

I’ve replaced almost all my down with the new lofted merino wool. It’s slightly heavier but still insulates when wet, is easier to wash, and seems to hold up better. But those are no where near the price point this post was asking about. The only time I routinely use down anymore is below around -10 F, I have two 800 fill mountaineering jackets (Marmot and OR). As for cost effective down jackets, Eddie Bauer is hard to beat.

Ahhh, I forgot the puffy jackets that are now on sale for $50-$150 as winter winds down. Super compressible for the suitcase. The wife got a couple generic ones for $27 each on Amazon this fall and has been really happy, even compared to her $$$$ model that she is scared of ruining. Don't count on them for waterproof, though.

Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive ($50ish) medium weight jacket? Something that is comfortable, flexible, water resistant, etc.

I’ve had multiple NorthFace jackets but just not impressed with the newer ones. Just not the same quality as the one I got 15 years ago.

Don’t want to break the bank as I’ll probably ruin it within a year or two anyway...

I’ve seen these on Amazon. Reviews seem ok but...

View attachment 1886096
I would HIGHLY recommend the Land's End Squall. Available onsale multiple times a year. I've owned them for years and wear them as my principal outer layer even in our Idaho winters. They're currently $75 but LE has a lot of sales at 40% off.

My name is Kevin, I am a Sierra Trading Postaholic. I tried to quit. The 25% off coupons are just too much...

Sierra Trading is about the only place I get my clothes and gear. That and Goodwill or used on FB Marketplace. Sierra has great gear at great prices. With the extra 25% you can get some crazy good deals. They also have an easy and quick return policy. I think it costs $2 and change to return or exchange something. Never had a problem with them.

I have an LL Bean softshell jacket that has been wonderful. It keeps me dry and warm down into some pretty cold temps. I layer a lot but the Bean jacket has always kept me dry. It has held up well.

I get coupons from LL Bean from using their card so I think I got it for pretty cheap, less than $50. Not sure what they run price wise now but usually too high for me unless on sale or coupons...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom