Builds indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The four rock lights below the doors are mounted in a few locations. I decided to make some quick brackets out of aluminum angle which allowed me to better control the mounting location. This did add an additional constraint, though, as I had to find locations where I had enough clearance to drill into the frame for mounting.

Here's the rough location of each rock light:
* Driver Front: Just forward of the cross member on the inside of the frame.
* Driver Rear: On the thin panel just forward of the KDSS valves.
* Passenger Front: A bit further forward than the driver side in order to clear some mystery object mounted to the frame.
* Passenger Rear: This one was tougher because of the gas tank. I didn't want to drill into the sliders but decided to go that route for this one.

I would love to see night photos.

I would love to see night photos.

Me too! I ended up going with a smaller gauge wire and am waiting for connectors. The engine bay light is wired, though. Pretty happy with it... could use a twin on the passenger side.

F40D2120-223A-4DDF-9540-28468BB0525C.jpeg

In other news, the Eezi-Awn Stealth is now on the roof. The truck was already at Valley Hybrids for tank fitting (it fits though there are some details to be sorted out) so the shop mounted the tent as well.

While Georg and Dominic were working on the tank install, I pitched in by picking up the tent pallet in Georg’s flatbed FJ. Nothing like learning to drive stick in an awesome, RHD, classic cruiser on I5 in the rain.

B2885458-8C9B-4794-B41E-49EC55C4706F.jpeg

99FB1548-6428-4744-B57B-219772BE0946.jpeg

I’ll try to post a couple tent photos before heading into the desert. Until then:

Last edited:
Here are a few shots of the Stealth tent from today at Alabama Hills. We’re heading into DVNP in the morning without much of an itinerary. Thinking about Butte Valley / Mengel Pass or heading to the hot springs.

Initial thoughts on the tent:
  • Easier to mount the other hard shells since the mounting rails are longer and closer to the outside of the tent
  • We really like the look of the tent
  • The ladder fitting under the tent is a nice tough though it’s a tad short
  • Materials are great and the mattress is comfortable
  • Very easy to open and close
  • Some of the exterior nuts have plastic protectors that keep falling off
  • The rear window provides a great view and the awning is a great touch and works well
  • There are small sections of the tent that are open to the air in the top corners... I wonder how these will do in the rain
  • It’d be nice to have some more interior storage
  • Not as much wind noise as the JB... it may even be a touch quieter than the bare rack
3D9B2E7E-B822-4A4A-A3F8-F51A0F67C7AD.jpeg
9BAFDADE-30B8-409F-8540-653249522C9F.jpeg
49A8EAB3-DC11-46F4-B8A0-D0EAA6D0AD47.jpeg

Last edited:
I still need to modify my install like yours and @indycole. I did it about a year ago and just haven't put spacers in yet. Wish they had an out of the box solution for 2016+ models as it's not convenient to pop off the air filter when you need access to the fuse box. Not a huge deal, but I've dropped the filter before as it's a tight space and it's not fun retrieving it!

It takes a bit of dexterity, but I can juuust flip the tabs on that side of the fuse box without fiddling with the filters.

It takes a bit of dexterity, but I can juuust flip the tabs on that side of the fuse box without fiddling with the filters.

The 2016+ models are different. The top to the fuse box has different tabs and locations of those tabs. The 2008-2015 models have one tab on the compressor side in the middle and is pretty recessed. If you look at the first picture, you can't even see it. The 2016+ models have two tabs on the compressor side and they are spread out (one in middle, one on fender end) and stick out farther. The tab closest to the fender rests just below an air filter on the compressor on 2016+ models. It blocks the tab as shown in second picture as you have to press the tab in from the end (compressor side).

kB4szlf.png

3xsl2GH.jpg

Last edited:
The 2016+ models are different. The top to the fuse box has different tabs and locations of those tabs. The 2008-2015 models have one tab on the compressor side in the middle and is pretty recessed. If you look at the first picture, you can't even see it. The 2016+ models have two tabs on the compressor side and they are spread out (one in middle, one on fender end) and stick out farther. The tab closest to the fender rests just below an air filter on the compressor on 2016+ models. It blocks the tab as shown in second picture as you have to press the tab in from the end (compressor side).

kB4szlf.png

3xsl2GH.jpg

My 2008 fuse box has two tabs on the compressor side... I can’t see them either, but ya...access is certainly tricky.

The tent looks good. It's making me excited to get my Alu-Cab. It appears to be on the slow boat from South Africa.

Is there room under the compressor tray to mount something on the flip side? That might be a good place for my Redarc that I don't really need access to often.

Yes, if you look at post #270 (second picture) by @indycole, that shows the space under the compressor mount. He's running the SPOD wires under it, but you could definitely stuff something in there.

Here are a few shots of the Stealth tent from today at Alabama Hills. We’re heading into DVNP in the morning without much of an itinerary. Thinking about Butte Valley / Mengel Pass or heading to the hot springs.

Initial thoughts on the tent:
  • Easier to mount the other hard shells since the mounting rails are longer and closer to the outside of the tent
  • We really like the look of the tent
  • The ladder fitting under the tent is a nice tough though it’s a tad short
  • Materials are great and the mattress is comfortable
  • Very easy to open and close
  • Some of the exterior nuts have plastic protectors that keep falling off
  • The rear window provides a great view and the awning is a great touch and works well
  • There are small sections of the tent that are open to the air in the top corners... I wonder how these will do in the rain
  • It’s be nice to have some more interior storage
  • Not as much wind noise as the JB... it may even be a touch quieter than the bare tent
View attachment 1610662 View attachment 1610664 View attachment 1610669
Any pics of it closed?

Is there room under the compressor tray to mount something on the flip side? That might be a good place for my Redarc that I don't really need access to often.

There’s definitely a bit of room. I’m not sure if there’s enough room for something like a Redarc BMS?

The tent looks good. It's making me excited to get my Alu-Cab. It appears to be on the slow boat from South Africa.

Thanks! Y’all will love the Alucab!

Any pics of it closed?

Will add some soon.

Which JB tent did you have? The Stealth is 220lbs? Do you notice the weight difference? The stealth seems lower profile up front, so the reduced noise makes sense.

Which JB tent did you have? The Stealth is 220lbs? Do you notice the weight difference? The stealth seems lower profile up front, so the reduced noise makes sense.

I had the JB Discovery Extreme XXL. The JB was 160 pounds but we usually had 80 lbs of gear in the cargo area. There’s less wind noise with the Stealth for sure but I didn’t really notice the weight of either tent on pavement. Off camber, though, you can tell it’s up there. I haven’t noticed any reduced ability offroad with either tent.

I had the JB Discovery Extreme XXL. The JB was 160 pounds but we usually had 80 lbs of gear in the cargo area. There’s less wind noise with the Stealth for sure but I didn’t really notice the weight of either tent on pavement. Off camber, though, you can tell it’s up there. I haven’t noticed any reduced ability offroad with either tent.
Good to know. Thanks. I’m getting the LC as a family trip type vehicle so I won’t be doing anything to crazy in it anyways.

Cole, have you noticed much of an impact on your mileage from the tent?

Cole, have you noticed much of an impact on your mileage from the tent?

Yeah, I believe so. Highway cruising previously ranged from 13-16 depending on wind and speed (no wind, no hills, 55-65 => 16 mpg vs wind, hills, 75+ => 13 mpg at the other end of the spectrum).

With the Stealth, those numbers have pretty clearly dropped by 1-1.5 mpg. I noticed the same thing when the JB tent was up there though the effect was more like 2 mpg. The tent weights aren't that different but I did have a storage back on top of the JB tent that definitely had some additional wind drag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom