In need of new meats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=SIDSTOYS link=board=2;threadid=11871;start=msg108320#msg108320 date=1077403457]Has anyone run these on a stock '95-'97 w/o rubbing problems on the open road? Appreciate the input good or bad.
[/quote]

SIDSTOYS..

Currently I am running BFG AT 295/75/16's.
I ran them with STOCK lift..and OME Lift (see pics below). There was/is NO RUBBING at all. The 295's are about 11.5inches wide and 33.4 inches tall. They look similar to the 285's as far as diameter...BUT the big difference is that the 295's are MUCH FATTER.

See pics below.
LinkPhoto

100% pure STOCK 275's on it.
LinkPhoto

NEW 295's with STOCK LIFT
LinkPhoto

BFG 295's and OME Lift
LinkPhoto

295, OME, ARB

...and the moneypit continues ;)

later,
Joe

..Oh yeah.
I forgot. Definitely shop around for tires. I got my warrentied BFG AT's 295's from BJ's WHOLESALE Club (like Costco, or Sams Club) for $155 each! :D
That was the best price i could find..so I got 5 :D.

Here is a websight with all the dimensions.
www.etires.com
Select your tire size at the top. This site is expensive though..use for info only.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Just what I wanted to hear. Your rig looks beatchin' in black. Mine's white with a front black bull bar, Hellas, and "stuff". A work in progress '95 with only 96K. About how many inches or centimeters of height did they add to your rig w/stock suspension? Just curious.

Ya mon. Respect.
Sid

Sidenote: Been Jamaica tree times mon. No problem.

Sid..thanks for the compliments!

The tires themselves added about 1.5 to 2 inches. The OME lift added another 1-1.5 inches.

I dont know the exact measurments..didnt think to measure the before/after heights.

LinkPhoto

Here is a good pic for you to see the width of the 295's. I took this when i was putting on my ARB.

Take care,
Joe

- S.A -,
I second the good lookin rig comment, a couple of questions for you.
1. Killer loss of power on the road with the 295/75's ?
2. You mentioned no rubbing - does this include off-road?

Thanks,
Jason

We're gettin some good tire size testimonials/pics here as far as what works - this thread would be good for the FAQ Junk is over seeing.

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=11871;start=msg108723#msg108723 date=1077502773]
1. Killer loss of power on the road with the 295/75's ?
2. You mentioned no rubbing - does this include off-road?
[/quote]

Jason..
thanks! to answer your questions.
1. Honestly, the power loss didnt seem like anything that noticable. I never dyno'ed :D it so who knows exactly. I think the speedo is off slightly..but, nothing too crazy. Maybe like 4 mph off. I dont worry about it that much...i aint trying to win the Daytona 500 with the pig :D

2. When I had the OEM suspension..there was no rubbing at all during regular driving. I did minimal off roading with the OEM Coils/295 combo..so, I really cant comment on rubbing. I know that i didnt run into any problems..but, again..i was riding on basic trails. My honest feeling that if you were to do more intense off roading with the 295's and stock suspension..there MIGHT be rubbing. BUT, with the OME coils..there is no rubbing at all! off and on road. No Worries! :D

later.
joe

I am running 285/75R16s on my '97 w/stock suspension :(, ARB bulbar/Warn winch, ARB full-length roof rack.

What I notice most is my f'd shift points. Setting the cruise @ 74 keeps the Cruiser shifting in and out of overdrive. I REALLY need to get a speedo calib. from Christo 'cause this thing is the family hauler with lots of road trips. :p

No rubbing on road...it aint gettin' articulated till OME makes his debut. :-\

Man I wish OME were OEM! :D

I have the Heavy duty OME coils front and rear, they have sense been replaces with the J springs up front!

I wouldn't worry so much about calibrating the speedo. Just use a GPS :)

[quote author=- S.A. - link=board=2;threadid=11871;start=msg108664#msg108664 date=1077492687]
They look similar to the 285's as far as diameter...BUT the big difference is that the 295's are MUCH FATTER.
[/quote]

Can anybody out there with the BFG 295/75-16's measure the "Tread Width?" They don't list this spec on their website.

They list "Section width" but not "Tread width."

Close enough for me.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=11871;start=msg108911#msg108911 date=1077548613]
I wouldn't worry so much about calibrating the speedo.
[/quote]

Correcting the speedo will help with the tranny shift points. Which in turn will help reduce the loss of power feel of the bigger tires since lower gears will be held longer and the engine's rpms will be higher when the shift accures.

As a result of exceptional advice from everyone, I'm the proud new owner of a set of BFG AT KO LT295/75R/16D's from NTB @ $145/tire. They look and drive great and so far no rubbing at all under minimal testing. Even got the rig in the garage (aired down a little). I think I can get a couple more inches clearance out of reengineering the garage door setup as it currently exists. What's the collective wisdom out there as to the easiest way to get around 1.5 inches of lift in the front to level her out? Just have the bull bar w/Hella 500's on the front with no plan for a winch. Many thanks.

Wow, $145, that's cheap. All the places out here on the Left coast want $190+!!
Costco by me won't let me buy them because the tire is not stock size. Same thing with Wheelworks.

hoser,

Yeah, I was shocked at the price. BJ's wanted $177/tire. NTB is right across the road from me and I only called them based on the convenience factor. Apparently, according to the manager, their new parent company out of Georgia, has resulted in their off-road tire prices going down dramatically. I got the works, you know lifetime everything, full replacement, road hazard protection...and it still came in at only $720 total out the door with taxes, disposal fee, etc. here on the Leastcoast.

That's even cheaper than tirerack.com ($166)
I called NTB to see if they ship tires and they said they don't. Local sales only.

put the soft OME springs up in the front, with the ARB bumper on it, it should sit about even front to rear, or you could throw on some mr. Gasket generic spacers, for about $10.00 and get it pretty close too, just one more option, two 10MM OME trim packers would give ya almost an inch to, or if you got a buddy who has access to a machine shop, just have him make ya some spacers what ever size ya want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom