1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In need of new meats

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by SIDSTOYS, Feb 21, 2004.

1. SIDSTOYS

SIDSTOYS

I'm new to this forum but old to TLC's. I recently stole my wife's stock '95 and it needs tires. I have another wheelin' and trail truck so this puppy is going to be my daily driver for the forseeable future. It's all stock and will be a light hauler mostly on pavement. Currently running Dunlop 275's. I'm thinking about BFG KO's at either 285 or 295. Would prefer to run the 295's anticipating a lift for this one when the other rig dies (it's an '86). Has anyone run these on a stock '95-'97 w/o rubbing problems on the open road? Appreciate the input good or bad.

2. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Hey Sid -
    You might try the search feature for this. Otherwise, I would ask what the second measurement of the tire size is. 295 is the width and without knowing the second measurement (295/?) it's impossible to know the diamter/height of the tire.
    Also, a 33 inch tire will fit in some widths better than others.
    -Jason

3. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

295s are right on the edge. I would suggest the 285/75R16s and install the speedo gear from www.Sleeoffroad.com .This will work out real well and if you want to lift down the road they still look great.

4. SIDSTOYS

SIDSTOYS

Thanks MoJ. I'll try the search too. Exact tire and size I'm contemplating is BFG AT KO 295/75R16.

5. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

For "open road" as you mentioned, I bet you'd be fine. A few weeks back someone posted the "actual" sizes for BFG A/T (actual apparently varies amoung tire manufacturers). I've heard BFG run a bit smaller than others. I've always used BFG A/T's but have never taken the time to check this out. I'm currently contemplating going to a 305/70 (wider) on my 94 with stock height.

6. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

A friend ran some 295/70/16s SS SSRs on Black Rock Crawlers (D spoke) on his unlifted 80 for awhile. We hit some ditches and flexed it and they didn't rub.

BFGs are real small when compared to Swampers. I once had a brand new 33x10.50/15 on a 15x8 rim that measured 31.75" tall with no weight on it. Goodyears aren't as small usually as the BFGs, but still smaller than what they say on the side. Even Mickey Thompsons are smaller than what is on the side. Obviously other than Swampers there is no truth in tire size advertising. :mad:

7. SIDSTOYS

SIDSTOYS

Just the sort of info I was looking for so far guys. Great forum. So far the 295's have an edge over the 285 purchase until or unless I hear a first or second hand gloom and doom. Just got my tax refund back so I have it covered this week. As an afterthought, sure would be nice if it still fit in the garage after the 295 install, but no matter, if it won't, I'll figure something out.

8. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Bias Swampers run pretty true to size, whereas the LTB's run small as do the Radial Swampers.

SSR's run Big.

9. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

I found the BFG 295/75 to be a little more expensive than the 285/75 and not as readily available if for some reason you need a replacement in an hurry like on vacation or something.

10. fzj

fzj

I ran 315X75 R16 on my stock 94 with the factory wheels, on and off road and had no rubbing on road and only slight rubbing off road, here is a pic of it when it was stock with the 315's on it!

11. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

fzj -
    Nice looking setup. By far the best color for a fzj. :D Is that just with the stock running boards off? (i.e. no sliders, etc?) What about performance? Slugish or re-gear with the 315's?
    -Jason

12. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

FZJ,
    That truck looks lifted to me. An aweful lot of room in those wheel wells for 315s in a non lifted 80.

13. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=11871;start=msg108521#msg108521 date=1077461497]
    FZJ,
    That truck looks lifted to me. An aweful lot of room in those wheel wells for 315s in a non lifted 80.
    [/quote]

That's what I thought too but didn't want accuse anyone of telling tall tales..... :-\ (it's all good fzj)

14. fzj

fzj

It definetly cuts back on your power, I notice it most going through mountain passes myself, it's definetly a must down the road at some point, but it still beats a stock 91 or 92 rig. My plan and some point is to regear and add the supercharger, that should make those mountain passes no problmano!

15. fzj

fzj

Landtank, that's for reminding me, after reading what you wrote I remembered, after adding the ARB bumper I did put two ten mil. trim packers in the front, so almost a one inch lift in the front, but the extra weight of the bumper aswell

16. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Ahhh, either way, nice looking setup.

17. fzj

fzj

before lift

18. fzj

fzj

before lift

19. fzj

fzj

after lift