I'm buying this Lexus LX450: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats John, you rich Mutha

As to #3 I think its time for OME.
As to ATF, drain and refill appx 6qts

:cheers: buddy, can't wait to see it! :bounce:

My '97 sways so bad it can make you seasick - even tho mine has low miles (40K) - the suspension is soft and the sway bar appears to be wanting to correct to level - making for a bad ride - I look forward to my suspension upgrade soon -

Least now you know why everyone has that 80 feels good feeling

I noticed putting on the BFG AT's helped with the sway. I assume that this is in part due to the stiffer side walls. Still need the replace my suspension though.

Ross

ShottsUZJ100 said:
1. It has the chrome wheels though he has 3 of the center caps in the truck because he says they keep falling off? :confused:
I remember reading dealers often chromed their wheels and used aftermarket center caps as they were cheaper than chroming the original caps. Compare the caps to your 93.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
1. It has the chrome wheels though he has 3 of the center caps in the truck because he says they keep falling off? :confused:

Take one off and look inside. There are some metal tabs you can bend to adjust the fit. They are basically springs that lose their tension.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
2. The center console doesn't stay down. I'm guessing I can trim the latch stop which will make the latch go further down/back into the notch so it'll stay closed.

Check other fitment things before you go trimming. They fit from the factory.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
3. Going 65-75 it seems to pitch (sway) easily. I'm guessing this is soft shocks/swaybars? When parked you can barely touch the thing and it'll rock.

OME springs and shocks.

-B-

ShottsUZJ100 said:

2. The center console doesn't stay down. I'm guessing I can trim the latch stop which will make the latch go further down/back into the notch so it'll stay closed.

3. Going 65-75 it seems to pitch (sway) easily. I'm guessing this is soft shocks/swaybars? When parked you can barely touch the thing and it'll rock.

Other than that it looks like it's on good shape. Engine clean, no leaks, it'll be shame to ruin the paint but here goes. :D

OH, ONE LAST THING? I think from other threads that I should drail and refill the trans fluid rather than do a "flush" and "pan cleaning"?

THANKS!

#1 Pitch them, probably aftermarket, worthless bling. :D

#2 Try adjusting, modifying or replace it, if that's the biggest problem you have, your golden. :D

#3 Stock Lexi require Dramamine for highway travel, get OME SOON!

If the fluid is not burned up a drain and fill is fine.

Sounds like a nice score! :cheers:

> 1. It has the chrome wheels though he has 3 of the center caps in the truck because he says they keep falling off? :confused:

I have a couple 80 series stock beadlocks here for the 37" MT/R's you are going to run

> 2. The center console doesn't stay down. I'm guessing I can trim the latch stop which will make the latch go further down/back into the notch so it'll stay closed.

Ditch it and install a tuffy. That is what a hardcore rig needs :D

> 3. Going 65-75 it seems to pitch (sway) easily. I'm guessing this is soft shocks/swaybars? When parked you can barely touch the thing and it'll rock.

Charged your card today for the 6" lift. It is on it's way. :D

OOPS, this was John's thread. I thought it was someone that was going to build hardcore rig! :D:D:D:D:D

Damn. Since it's probably too late to talk you out of it...I'll throw in some suggestions -- most of which I'll just be echoing what others have already stated...

Do yourself a favor and replace the chrome wheels with something else when you take that puppy offroad. Or, save the chrome ones for city/highway only. It’s kind of a shame to thrash them. I beat the crud out of mine and now wish I’d picked up aftermarket wheels from the start.

The “chromed” caps are crap. They’re not OEM Toyota. They don’t stay on well. I lost one…then lucked out and found it on the highway median strip…then lost it again a week later. Toss them…or buy my 3 caps ;)

The center console – don’t trim anything. Check all the screws on both hinges. I’d bet that some of them are loose. I found that if they’re loose, the top doesn’t sit properly.

The pitch and sway is common to LX 450s. The rear springs on the LX are the same springs that are used on the non-third-row-seat LCs. I’d guess the spring rate is a little different. That plus softer shocks will give you that floaty ride. Go OME and you’ll be done with that.

I would just drain and refill. If it looks funky when you drain…then think about flushing. Based on what I’ve read though…I’m pretty wary of tranny flushes.

sleeoffroad said:
> 1. It has the chrome wheels though he has 3 of the center caps in the truck because he says they keep falling off? :confused:

I have a couple 80 series stock beadlocks here for the 37" MT/R's you are going to run

> 2. The center console doesn't stay down. I'm guessing I can trim the latch stop which will make the latch go further down/back into the notch so it'll stay closed.

Ditch it and install a tuffy. That is what a hardcore rig needs :D

> 3. Going 65-75 it seems to pitch (sway) easily. I'm guessing this is soft shocks/swaybars? When parked you can barely touch the thing and it'll rock.

Charged your card today for the 6" lift. It is on it's way. :D

OOPS, this was John's thread. I thought it was someone that was going to build hardcore rig! :D:D:D:D:D

I'm finding another source for 80 parts! :D

OK, loaded question:

FIRST: My objection......with 6" and 37's I cannot garage it.

QUESTION: Considering a J-sprung, L-shocked, 4-inch lifted 80 can run almost anything, please give me GOOD reasons (not "for looks" etc) why I should want a 6" over a 4"? The cost for those two added inches and the ungarageability (is that a word? :D ) is a lot.

NorCalDoug said:
Damn. Since it's probably too late to talk you out of it...I'll throw in some suggestions -- most of which I'll just be echoing what others have already stated...

Do yourself a favor and replace the chrome wheels with something else when you take that puppy offroad. Or, save the chrome ones for city/highway only. It’s kind of a shame to thrash them. I beat the crud out of mine and now wish I’d picked up aftermarket wheels from the start.

The “chromed” caps are crap. They’re not OEM Toyota. They don’t stay on well. I lost one…then lucked out and found it on the highway median strip…then lost it again a week later. Toss them…or buy my 3 caps ;)

The center console – don’t trim anything. Check all the screws on both hinges. I’d bet that some of them are loose. I found that if they’re loose, the top doesn’t sit properly.

The pitch and sway is common to LX 450s. The rear springs on the LX are the same springs that are used on the non-third-row-seat LCs. I’d guess the spring rate is a little different. That plus softer shocks will give you that floaty ride. Go OME and you’ll be done with that.

I would just drain and refill. If it looks funky when you drain…then think about flushing. Based on what I’ve read though…I’m pretty wary of tranny flushes.

WOW! WE'RE FRIENDS NOW! :D
Excellent info on the wheels/caps. Awe crap, I've got decisions to make. :mad:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
QUESTION: Considering a J-sprung, L-shocked, 4-inch lifted 80 can run almost anything, please give me GOOD reasons (not "for looks" etc) why I should want a 6" over a 4"? The cost for those two added inches and the ungarageability (is that a word? :D ) is a lot.

Get a bigger garage. Here I thought you were going to go all out and be hard core. :doh: My bad.

As to your question. 6" gives you more travel because don't have to bumpstop the hell out of it if you run any decent size tire.

You will be much happier next year with a 6" lift on Pritchett Canyon!

PST, you need to loose the "Almost" you need to for for "Everything"

ShottsUZJ100 said:
WOW! WE'RE FRIENDS NOW! :D
Settle down Francis. It's not that easy to get into the inner circle. Let's just say that you can stand over by the door for now...

:flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Sorry Doug. We're LX BROTHERS now. :D

Haha....

"Brother's don't shake hands, brothers gotta hug!"

tbbw.gif

Hey John -

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that nice ride is going to go away once you OME it! Then it'll ride identical to every other OME'd 80 out there, including your `93...

On the caps, as others have said, they are cheap Taiwanese crap. Chrome wheels was a dealer-added option, and the dealers added cheap chrome caps to match. Not sure if it was because the OEM caps would no longer fit with the thick layer of chrome, but every chrome wheel I've seen (Cruiser or LX) has had the Taiwanese caps.

See ya,

dclee said:
Hey John -

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that nice ride is going to go away once you OME it! Then it'll ride identical to every other OME'd 80 out there, including your `93...

See ya,

Ride? Doesn't matter. What does?

93's seats sucks and can't be raised
LX's are comfortable and fully adjustable

93's noisier than crap
LX's quieter than crap (approaching the 100 though not quiet)

93's stereo is worthless
LX's is fine

No bubble bursted. I don't expect this LX to ride like my 100. But those 3 things above are important for me in order to leave the 100 behind occassionally. I think this thing will do nicely, though you're right....the stiff ride is a coming! :) We MIGHT just get AT's this time too.???

ShottsUZJ100 said:
... We MIGHT just get AT's this time too.???
Don't be a wuss...get the MTRs

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom