I'm at my Wits End! 3fe getting hot.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had to re-oil and re-tune an aqua hub fan clutch to get it to keep enough friction to turn the fan at highway speeds. Of course, verify your radiator is flowing enough- as you said you have. If you have flow, you have a sealed system, then it's either an excess of heat generation (mechanical badness) or a lac of air flow over the radiator. Another factor could be an thing inhibiting airflow, such as buggs clogging the ac/ condenser. After I took care of all the usual suspects, my issue was the stock tuned fan clutch just didn't have the balls to function in a high heat environment. The opening and fully locked-on temperature for the fan clutch can be adjusted to open and lock-on sooner, and thicker csk oil can be added to prevent sheering and slippage. HTH
I've seen some threads on changing the oil but how do you adjust those points? I assume it's something you change while the hub is disassembled?

Have any of you guys with the ARB front bumper had issue with lights mounted in the bumper blocking airflow?

I've seen some threads on changing the oil but how do you adjust those points? I assume it's something you change while the hub is disassembled?

Search up "Landtank the blue fan clutch thread". Apparently the thread went to hell!? But there's loads of info on the early party of the thread.

The ports in the hubs are adjustable internally as well as changing oils.

Just throwing this out there, but running LEAN also increases temps. If you have a clogged fuel filter, poorly performing fuel pump, or gummed up fuel injectors, these cohld lead to a lean running condition that gets worse under load and at speed. Just something else to consider once you've exhausted all cooling system options.

I don't have a Landcruiser but I have had that same problem after adding a Warn 8274 winch. And it was ONLY over 65 mph so I didn't notice I had a problem until summer time and on the interstate. You've got a lot disrupting air flow in front of your radiator.

Is this a new problem after already having the bumper and accessories or did it start after adding something?

Re did the dist timing last night I did have it advanced because 3fe's are slow I'm now spot on how the book says to set it
How far out was it?

yes, you can set the opening window gap to a specific value at a specific opening temp. There is a very detailed write up in the 80's series forum. It involved disassembly, cleaning, a pan for pouring varying temps of hot water into while the hub body is in it, an electric kettle to heat unknown amounts of water, and a thermometer. you get the thing X hot and set the opening gap, then get it XX hot and set the fully open gap, and a few other not too difficult dance moves I've since purged from the quickly declining RAM...

I have gone down this rabbit hole a few times before with my 3FE. #1 adjust fan clutch timing and add thicker oil per the above. #2 replaced brass/copper unit w/ 2 core alum. radiator and replace all hoses and thermostat/WP/ belts while you are in there. #3 add foam cell strips to block air gap for fan shroud/radiator core support #3 add hood vent/increase air flow to the radiator
all of the above plus a healthy 3FE keeps my engine temp around 190-195F on highway and 195-200 pulling steep grade w/ AC. On 4Lo, my fan clutch and mech. fan does all the work on low air flow situations.
I also added 2 pusher elec. fan in front of AC condenser and transmission oil cooler to keep things cool at idle and stop and go traffic for cooler AC and reduce tranny oil temp pulling steep grade

cheers.

How far out was it?
I had advanced it a little in the quest for more power.... Fools errand lol. It's set exactly per the manual now
Any chance you have a bunch of crud in the block?
It's possible... The engine has had HG sealant in it but it's been rebuilt since then and I've had the head off block drained... Nothing looked plugged up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom