1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ignition issues...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by orvis17, Aug 22, 2006.

1. orvis17

orvis17

Here's the run down... put a 75 2f into a 72 40... have a brand new coil (from Marks offroad) but now need an ignition...desmogged engine with original aisin(sp?) carb...

Do I spend the $340 sor wants for the ignitor?
    Do I convert to HEI ignition? Yes I have read the past posts and used the search function...

Do I also need the ballast resistor?

Also two wires with green plugs coming out of the carb... one is the idle silinoid I think... do these need to be hooked up and to what?

Also, where to source longer brake lines...
    Thanks for the help!

I guess it may be a 78 2F

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. orvis17

orvis17

Talked to CDan and found out ballast and ignitor are no longer made...suggested talking to urban land cruisers...problem solved...

3. GJCruiser

GJCruiser

If you need complete ignition, consider finding a small-cap distributor and matching ignitor stock set up from a 78-79, I think. Fully electronic, very reliable, and I'm told quite waterproof. I've made such an addition to a 76 to get rid of the points. Very happy. HTH

4. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

I have a '75 with original 2F too. I'm currently running non-usa Toyota LC distributor with Pertronix Ignitor with Flame Thrower coil and MSD Offroad Ignition...I don't run the ballast or condensor but they're still there just incase.

/td

5. orvis17

orvis17

That is what I need as well...non us distributor, and an optical sensor that replaces the points as per Michael with Urban Land Cruisers...

Still have the issue witht he two wires coming out of the top of the carb...

6. Tunnelratt

Tunnelratt

75 with a 76 2F, 90% desmogged, just did the dizzy, go with the small cap early unit vac advance with pertronix, easy 2 wire hook up, lose the stock ignitor, carry a spare set of points in the glove box in case the pertronix fails, simplicity at its best.:cool:

7. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers

go with a pitronix(sp) i run one and its great you will no longer need any of the points stuff it wors great

8. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:

One will go to the idle solenoid that is on the top passenger side rear part of the carb...follow the wires....that one must be attached to a switched 12v source, or your truck will not ever idle properly....

The other controls the power valve in the carb, iirc.

:beer:

9. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

I've got lots of spares in Helena if you want to come over the hill :D if you want to try some parts. Paul

10. orvis17

orvis17

Paul, I have ordered parts, but if this doesn't work out, I will be calling. Thanks for the offer.

11. orvis17

orvis17

Solenoid wire to switched 12v, thanks Poser, any idea on what the second wire needs to go to?

12. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

The only other wire I have seen on a '75 CA model carb goes to a temperature sensor on the base of the carb that runs the carb cooling fan. Really not a wire; just a spade lug that the wire attaches to.

13. orvis17

orvis17

Maybe a pic is in order...will post up tomorrow.
    Thanks

14. Horitexan

Horitexan

I have a '75 and I just took out the stock distributer and put in a DUI HEI ignition and MAN IS IT GREAT! I just love the thing- my engine cranks over better/faster and the engine runs a whole lot smoother than I could get it to with the stock distributer. I was posting a similar question because my ignitor was shot. I don't have any doubt that some of the other, less expensive, ignition solutions I found here would have worked; but I am really impressed with how easy the DUI was to install and, most of all, how well it performs! For me it was the right choice.

Best of Luck!

Nick

15. orvis17

orvis17

Pic of second wire

Here is a pic of the two green plugs coming from the carb... one is the idle solenoid, but what is the other? Is it necessary that this circuit is completed for the carb to run correctly? It is a desmogged engine
    thanks for the help

This is not the engine, just a pic that shows the two green plugs

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  16. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

That doesn't look like a '75 2F; it is a '78.

The two wires would be for the idle fuel solenoid and the thermo sensor in the base of the carb.

17. orvis17

orvis17

So as stated by Poser the fuel solenoid needs a switched 12v, but how about the temp sensor? Will the carb run without it, or does it need power as well?

18. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

The carb will run without it. It has something to do with running the emissions system of the carb cooling fan. I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to look it up.

19. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

are there 2 diff 40's in town? last time thru I saw a red one infront of the log house just before the turn off to town. now your pic is light green

Paul

20. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

I believe that is Robert Laduke's engine bay...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">