Identifying Your Vintage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wasn't quite sure how to title this thread, but thought for "Tech and Search" purposes I thought Identifying Your Vintage would work good.

these are a few things I've identified as clear differences between some hard to identify vintages.

pre '59 had the "Toyota" hood emblem as opposed to the "T-Bird

'60 models had gone to the 4-bolt front fender mount

'61 models still had the 25 series rims with the "Embossed Bezel"

'62 had the 40 series rims with the "Embossed Bezel"

maybe we could add to this list? I always find info like this interesting, but most of it seems hidden within threads that I cannot recall.

:beer::beer:

pre '59 had the "Toyota" hood emblem as opposed to the "T-Bird
'60 models had gone to the 4-bolt front fender mount

Since the emblem is usually missing..... :hillbilly: The three bolt to four fender mount, tall to "normal" tool box and front crossmember small to "normal" and saddle front engine mount to "normal" all occurred with the '60.

'61 models still had the 25 series rims with the "Embossed Bezel"

Only in the literature, never seen it in real life except on Bandeirantes that used 25 pattern rims for quite a while. The '61 did have the apron intake with the oil bath air cleaner and the hood hooks are located further back on the apron for that.

Somewhere I had posted the transition from 6v to 12V, '58 I think, must be in the service bulletins. Also the cluster changed to the "normal" pattern from a small face in '58.

Some of these 40 guys better step up with the centered axle, side shift tranny and pillar post and idiot light dates. :hmm:

I believe the 1960 model FJ25 started the year with the F105 and switched to the F120 mid year. Other mid year changes were the front motor mount plate was change to the later two front mount style. The tool box under the left front seat was also lowered mid year.

1961 FJ40 had the 15" wheels in the US market at least. It did start the year with air intake on the apron for models with the optional oil bath air cleaner. (almost all US imports had the oil bath). Sometime during the year that intake was stopped. The fuel fill opening was moved on the soft top models to match the hard top which standardized the fuel tank. The 61 still had the large gas cap like the FJ25. The ribs in the rear floor were the same as the FJ25. 61 had a one year only rear jump seat. It still had the front arm rests but they were lower than the ones in the FJ25. The FJ25 arm rests were the same height as the back of the seat. 62s only had the rear arm rest. The rear barn doors had pins locking both doors to the floor. This continued in the hard top models made into 62. Not sure when they dropped the second pin. My 62 soft top tub with barn doors only has one and it has a lower production number than my 62 hard top. The hard top was title as a 63. I was told over thirty years ago my a LC expert who was in the business of selling parts locally that the stamped bezel ended mid year 63. The same is true of the early three speed transmission, transfer case, it was changed mid year 63.

I have few other facts on changes on the early FJ40 I'll dig up and post here.

Some of these 40 guys better step up with the centered axle, side shift tranny and pillar post and idiot light dates. :hmm:

I have the VIN changed for the centered axle in both the 40 and 45 series. Side shift tranny was mid 63. High B pillar I'm guessing was mid 63 some time. Probably when the soft top model door opening changed to match the hard tops. Then I believe for a couple of years the soft top model had holes drilled for the twists along the top and holes for the rear bows. Hard top got fixed nuts for the hard top sides. Add to that hard tops had barn doors and most soft top had a tailgate. The barn door to hard top and tailgate to soft top theme continued but previsions were made to be able to switch between the two sometime in the mid sixties. Idiot lights guessing sometime in late 63. 64 had all gauges. Probably around the same time the speedometer face went from silver to black. Generator to alternator around 64/65. window cranks from the slider in the door windows 62/63. Bug catcher vent windows during 65.

was the Toyota large rectangular emblem on the side apron ended in 57?

Probably right. I think the oval Toyota emblem on the hood ended before 59. The first Land Cruiser used in the ad in 71 had the T-bird on the hood and was a 58. A few other 58 production 25s in the country with the T-bird also. The FJ25 in Peru didn't have the flip open vent in the cowl sides. I believe those were 56s. I think all the 60 models had the non folding bows and side jump seats. Some 59s came with folding bows and a forward facing rear bench seat.

I brought a few old manuals and these hand written notes where in one of the manuals hope it may help

iphone5 001.jpg

iphone5 002.jpg

iphone5 003.jpg

iphone5 004.jpg

iphone5 005.jpg

I believe the 1960 model FJ25 started the year with the F105 and switched to the F120 mid year.

That probably was mid year. Maybe the TSB's have the VIN. That was the F120 - F135 switch.

Sent from my issued piece of crap BlackBerry 9650

Did the early fj40's come factory with the t-bird emblem or did they only come on fj25s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom