I Relocated the Head Unit in my LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ProjectsNMotion

SILVER Star
Threads
I installed a new head unit in my Lexus a few years ago, seen here, but I was never really happy with where it was located, so I moved it.

IMG_20200620_100024.jpg

You can see the full build here, or in the embed below

Cheers

If you want a happy medium, you could use Wits End cubby insert. Then you could mount 3 Ram mounts, adding a phone, iPad or HAM radio face plate.

Which picture is before and after? Is the new location high or low?

I like it mounted up high. That’s an amazing face. Nice move.

I was thinking of that for my Alpine head unit too. But I have been working so much that I have not had time to drive my 80. It looks great. I was just going to eliminate the upper vent though.

Last edited:
Did you relocate the upper vent to the top slot of the double DIN?

That's an interesting bit of plumbing, did you 3D print the fittings or use sheet metal?
How did you get the wiring harness through the dash and keep it looking professional?
Did you block the old vent opening with a plate and use a bulkhead fitting with a MIL type multi-prong plug?

I think we're going to need pictures or its just a Photoshop job...:flipoff2:

That's an interesting bit of plumbing, did you 3D print the fittings or use sheet metal?
How did you get the wiring harness through the dash and keep it looking professional?
Did you block the old vent opening with a plate and use a bulkhead fitting with a MIL type multi-prong plug?

I think we're going to need pictures or its just a Photoshop job...:flipoff2:

Did you look through the album that I linked? I think I showed everything there except for the flexible duct.

Nope, I go do that.

Ho Li Phouq! That was quite the surgery. Well done! :clap:

Nice work! I've considered that space as well. Great to see some trailblazing work on the project. I've got 2x tablets stacked that block that vent very effectively. :p

I installed a new head unit in my Lexus a few years ago, seen here, but I was never really happy with where it was located, so I moved it.

View attachment 2345802

You can see the full build here, or in the embed below

Cheers

That looks like a winner!

Best upgrade for a nav/stereo that I've seen.

I was just driving the other day and thinking how low my nav screen is.

It is essentially useless when driving.

If you built and sold this as a kit; i.e. radio bracket, ducting adapter, panel with vent/cubby & upper vent/clock panel trim cover... I'm sure more that a few would buy them from you.

That looks like a winner!

Best upgrade for a nav/stereo that I've seen.

I was just driving the other day and thinking how low my nav screen is.

It is essentially useless when driving.

If you built and sold this as a kit; i.e. radio bracket, ducting adapter, panel with vent/cubby & upper vent/clock panel trim cover... I'm sure more that a few would buy them from you.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I barely have enough time for my own rig, I wouldn't have time to produce parts for other folks. Maybe if enough people pester @NLXTACY he'll gets a few ideas from this thread and put something together.

Cheers

Thanks. Unfortunately, I barely have enough time for my own rig, I wouldn't have time to produce parts for other folks. Maybe if enough people pester @NLXTACY he'll gets a few ideas from this thread and put something together.

Cheers
Just thinking of a revenue stream for ya. I wouldn't be in for this particular Alpine head unit because it doesn't have built in Nav (for use outside of cell range) but I'm sure others would though.
Non the less a very innovative way to install that head unit.

Just thinking of a revenue stream for ya. I wouldn't be in for this particular Alpine head unit because it doesn't have built in Nav (for use outside of cell range) but I'm sure others would though.
Non the less a very innovative way to install that head unit.

Android Auto can store offline maps, so you can continue to navigate without a data connection. You just won't have access to traffic data.

Cheers

Wow, I didn't realize how much work went into that until I clicked the album. Great job! No way I would tackle that project, even if the outcome is awesome :eek:

Does the mount for the head unit allow you to rotate the screen to face the driver more?

Been thinking about how to remount my head unit so it faces the driver, more direct line of sight. I find reflections on the screen annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom