I got off my a$$..or..Pigwald gets naked (progress report) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after a 6 month layoff (at least from pig work), I spent the last full week assaulting Pigwald. The first day was spent putting in the repaired gas tank, bleeding the brakes (again), figuring out and hooking up the oil pressure and temp sender wiring, popping the interior door panels, and other misc fixes. Day 2 was taking all the bits and pieces off the body and at the time, the wishful thought was knocking it down all over to the original paint/primer with 80 on the 8" DA. Day 3 was a looksee by the boss and he wasn't happy with what he saw....so put the 36 on the 8" DA and lets go to bare metal....O joy !!! In the meantime as I got it down to the bright and shiny.. the boss followed close behind with his dent puller, hammers and dollies. Day 4 and 5 were spent roughing out the bodywork, and I needed to weld two patches in the usual locations at the base of the front fenders (otherwise beautiful solid steel...dented but good steel) followed by skim/finish coating and an all over sanding with 80. Day 6...tape it out and three good heavy coats of primer. Next steps will be blocking it out by hand, re-prime, final sand with 240, then the paint gets appled. I figure 3-4 more days for my fat old a$$ to finish it up and reassemble stuff. Question is when ...Anyway, here are a few of the progress shots.
mvc-011f (3).jpg
MVC-001F (3).JPG
MVC-003F (3).JPG

Last edited:
few more pics...I have plenty of others but this gives you the idea......
mvc-0023f (3).jpg
MVC-0012F (3).jpg
MVC-0013F (3).jpg

Looks great!

Maybe you posted it somewhere else and I didn't see it, but what color are you going to paint it?

Brian

awww man, all my hard work with the rattle cans:flipoff2: good to know that it is as good as it looked from on top of the paint.:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words...my hands, forearms and elbows are almost beginning to feel somewhat pain free. Sorry bout the rattle can removal Clay...but I think in the long run it was best :grinpimp:. and I agree about how good it looked naked. Ran across all the factory leaded seams...how sweet and even though it may appear to have a lot of mud in spots...it's actually quite thin...the minimum necessary after pulling, hammer, and dollying (better to have dented and/or wavy thick steel than rust). I think we used less than 1 gallon and most of that ends up on the floor. Even the boss (who is not easily impressed)....kept exclaiming how clean Pigwald was/is. Problem now is once done...I am not going to be in any hurry to rub up against trees/rocks/and the like. It'll be too damn clean and straight. I guess that is a good problem to have.

Brian...IIRC my paint code on the drivers inner fender tag is 267...which is difficult to find on the usual resources. The boss found it in his archives and I also found it on the PPG web site...only one quirky thing...PPG says it is only on a 1977. Pigwald is a 76 (build date is 12/75). But I am going by the tag and squirting it in 267...and also the white is (based on the PPG web site) 031...which they say is also a one year/1977 deal.

Hats off to you. Damn, you deserve a full mug of the special Iron Pig Heavy Mead Ale!!! Err, make that six pints!

Keep the pics and the progress reports coming. But, seriously, ditch those stock 55 rear bumper ends: they are nothing but trouble...

Cheers,

Max

Update....I am back at it. Sometime in the latter part of next week, Pigwald will be strapped to the trailer and drug back to Philly...with some new paint on it. Today was a day of sanding...much sanding...and more sanding ....a lot of it hand blocked out. Probably another 3 hours should nail it. With luck the re-prime will happen tomorrow night. The plan is 1. re-prime 2. final sand and then 3. put the blue on (all over). 4. then tape it out and come back with the white in the middle section. 4 Wet sand the white off of the "Toyota" on the tail gate (back down to the blue and then 5. clear coat the whole thing. No new picks, it's still is sporting grey with splotches at this point. Maybe some new pics on Tues or Weds. It's :beer: time.

finally some pics

Well, due to technological incompatabities I wasn't able to post the pics up on weds. and thursday was driving back east as far as my parents house and today pigwald arrived at his new home. Didn't do it as per the original plan due to a hieght issue in the spray booth. Painted the top and the "Toyota" on the tailgate on Monday night out on the floor. On Tuesday, taped it all out and painted the white, then taped out white area and finished painting the bottom blue. Then untaped the white and bottom blue and cleared it. I haven't sanded or buffed yet....all things in time and I'm in no hurry...with the exception of the roof, there really isn't much dirt in it. On to finishing out the mechanicals, interior, and need to do some fabricating for the front bumper.

I must say that the 80 did an admirable job pulling pigwald through the mountains...I thought it would have been more strained. Anyway I'll shut up and post up some pics.....pig just out of the booth
pigshopsmall3.JPG
pigshopsmall2.JPG
pigshopsmall.JPG

some more pics on the trailer at the folks....
pigparentssmall3.JPG
pigparentssmall2.JPG
pigparentssmall.JPG

pig at home....
pighomesmall.JPG

wow shiny, well i am very pleased i sold it to the right guy...... did you leave the grill and vent covers the way i had painted them?

Yes, I left them alone...they looked good. I was just down in the basement transferring the pics from the 3.5" disky onto a stick so I could upload from the newer box ...and was looking at some pics of when we went wheeling...paying close attention to your front bumper work... it would definitely fend of all the deer that are being displaced around me. IIRC you built it yourself. Do you have the dimensions and material spec'd out on paper anywhere ?

home again, home again, slickety pig. man you got a nice looking collection going there good job.:cheers: Hows the ol elbow doing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom