I am yet again bringing you a Head-gasket rebuild thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well ill say look what showed up! with the small price tag of 89$ for just some jet washing and a quick pressure test! Had the oil cooler and valve cover pressure washed as-well and they did do a pretty nice job.... the aluminum seems somewhat corroded but all is well as im getting the valve cover powder coated sometime this week. Also turns out that the head is not only .20thou out of spec it is also cracked in two spots... first being near the front plugs / Half moons and then between cylinder 3-4 it is also cracked... not sure how this thing got so beat up / warped!!

For now it guess its hurry up and wait... going to keep slowly cleaning the engine bay. I do have new shoes and hardware to redo the rear emergency break but well see if I get up to that. Want to go the front oil pump seal but going to wait until i have the head back on as i dont want to mess up the timing taking the crankshaft pully off...

48175803-09B2-45E2-AB99-A9CE3FE8A37E.jpeg
B6501F0E-1EBE-4065-A9FD-FA3A82F2F9B3.jpeg
5565311D-CFE6-48E3-B1A4-3CDAED222FCC.jpeg
BD7EBC30-1526-4E94-A612-AC9976AE6E79.jpeg
8888DA4A-9770-48CA-852E-F524B90B9957.jpeg

^my truck is becoming a landcruiser parts Depot 😅

You can pull the harmonic balancer and not disturb the timing. You must have a tool to hold the HB and then use an impact wrench with enough oomph to pop off the 304 LB bolt. Just try not to turn the crank while messing with it. I'm guessing you have the radiator out as well as half of everything else in there.

You can pull the harmonic balancer and not disturb the timing. You must have a tool to hold the HB and then use an impact wrench with enough oomph to pop off the 304 LB bolt. Just try not to turn the crank while messing with it. I'm guessing you have the radiator out as well as half of everything else in there.

Yes do realize this, just a little worried about knocking the timing out of sort. I did have a tool made up for this. My biggest worry if finding a torque wrench that goes above 300LB, the local Canadian tire isn't loaning out tools because of Covid... going to ask some of my friends who run Sno-cats around here if anyone in their shops have something that i could borrow for a minute. The radiator is long gone... was eaten by the mistakingly HDJ fan I had installed 😅

Curious what people think of jet washing the oil cooler... it seems to have very small humps on the outer skin now... not sure if it was there before as it was very coated in headgasket fix in a bottle. Went online to just see the price of a new one curiously and its almost 1000$CAD!! Also had the cover done at the same time.. didnt seem to come out as clean but much better than before!

Also turns out that the head is not only .20thou out of spec it is also cracked in two spots... first being near the front plugs / Half moons and then between cylinder 3-4 it is also cracked... not sure how this thing got so beat up / warped!!

This is what kills me when people talk “high mileage” on these rigs. Here’s an example of a supercharged engine still going with a cracked and warped head.

Yes do realize this, just a little worried about knocking the timing out of sort. I did have a tool made up for this. My biggest worry if finding a torque wrench that goes above 300LB, the local Canadian tire isn't loaning out tools because of Covid... going to ask some of my friends who run Sno-cats around here if anyone in their shops have something that i could borrow for a minute. The radiator is long gone... was eaten by the mistakingly HDJ fan I had installed 😅

If you can’t find a cheap tool outlet like Harbor Feight here in the US, you can calculate torque on a smaller torque wrench with a longer lever extension.

This is what kills me when people talk “high mileage” on these rigs. Here’s an example of a supercharged engine still going with a cracked and warped head.

Seriously though!! All of the 80s ive been in have always gotten me home.. Except for the one time i forgot to retorque the wheels on my personal past one lol:rofl:.... Lesson learnt.

Last edited:
If you can’t find a cheap tool outlet like Harbor Feight here in the US, you can calculate torque on a smaller torque wrench with a longer lever extension.

I mean I have a few 250 torque wrenches.... not sure how accurate they are anymore. I also have a digital adaptor that goes to 250

I mean I have a few 250 torque wrenches.... not sure how accurate they are anymore. I also have a digital adaptor that goes to 250

mall I had was a 250lb tq wrench.
I hate to say this but could not find nor afford anything to go to the 304 ft lb so I torqued it to 250 then used power bar to tighten it approx 1/4” more In rotation and called that good!😳

all My years of torquing fasteners if have realized the difference between tq values like 250 vs 300 is very little difference in rotational measurement.

All I know is when I removed it, it was effortless, didn’t seem super tight?

I know, not the proper way. It has driven 2000 miles since then with no ill effect!

Getting the 300 ft/lbs click required a shocking amount of force, and I’m a pretty strong and heavy guy.

I braced my midsection on the driver side fender and gave the wrench a serous row.

Jus imagine how many shops just blast them on with an impact gun, not even use a torque wrench😳

mall I had was a 250lb tq wrench.
I hate to say this but could not find nor afford anything to go to the 304 ft lb so I torqued it to 250 then used power bar to tighten it approx 1/4” more In rotation and called that good!😳

all My years of torquing fasteners if have realized the difference between tq values like 250 vs 300 is very little difference in rotational measurement.

All I know is when I removed it, it was effortless, didn’t seem super tight?

I know, not the proper way. It has driven 2000 miles since then with no ill effect!

Getting the 300 ft/lbs click required a shocking amount of force, and I’m a pretty strong and heavy guy.

I braced my midsection on the driver side fender and gave the wrench a serous row.

Thanks for the info guys, it'll be interesting to see how hard it is to take my big ole 32mm nut off lol. But I think i may have a lead on a 300ftlb torque wrench in town!!

The parts keep rolling in... just a little package from Cruiser Part Limited today but still got nailed at customs with fees.. ugh shipping from states :rolleyes:. Still on the hunt for some fresh exhaust shields and a used variety of valve shims. If anybody wants to sell or has any leads please feel free to comment of Pm me! Cheers :beer:

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2380.JPG

The parts keep rolling in... just a little package from Cruiser Part Limited today but still got nailed at customs with fees.. ugh shipping from states :rolleyes:. Still on the hunt for some fresh exhaust shields and a used variety of valve shims. If anybody wants to sell or has any leads please feel free to comment of Pm me! Cheers :beer:

View attachment 2481444
View attachment 2481445
The manifold shields are available from Partsouq. I got a set for less from them than I could buy in USA.

The manifold shields are available from Partsouq. I got a set for less from them than I could buy in USA.

Great tip! Normally I find they’re prices higher but under 200 for both shipped isn’t too shabby! Thanks

View attachment 2476415

Scraping Away old gasket and cleaning off piston carbon buildup, about hour and half into it and almost done. Scrape a little vacuum, repeat. Just have around cylinder 6 and timing chain to finish up tomorrow, giving my back a break for the night... slow tedious job... I think there may be some very very minor pitting but I’m not sure at the moment... will try and get better pictures of it tomorrow and once fully done cleaning will check block with straight edge and feeler gauge!

Broken Knock Sensor 😬

Broken Knock Sensor 😬

Yep! So friggen brittle, just got the used replacement in the mail this morning, a little rustier than I hoped but if it works its fine by me!

Well had some time today so I decided to go ahead and throw in this dash grab bar I’ve had laying around forever, was pretty simple took around an hour and vola the misses will be much happier getting in and out of the truck now.

3720A8E5-7B80-418B-8D1F-16019AD8D326.jpeg
57A0A297-5F30-4497-B4DC-C402C4C3B5AD.jpeg

Also threw in the new to me knock sensor I received that took a total of 2 mins.
423C2807-5E74-48FB-9273-1C570D5BF550.jpeg

Next up was cleaning on the gunk and grime that had accumulated on this engine over the years of oil leaks. Was cleaning off the front of the timing chain cover and noticed it looks like spider cracks all down it... wondering if this is to be of a concern or if others have this aswell??
D6A96502-7AB1-4203-9674-11458BA4C4D3.jpeg

6737EEAD-2D42-435B-AFD6-E72A162EE70C.jpeg

Hopefully those are casting marks. I'd consider sanding or gently filing/scraping into one to see if it's more than just surface deep. If they are actually cracks I assume that the cover would have started to destabilize so hopefully you'll find that they are just cosmetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom