Hurricane Irma FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to leave my 1990 Toyota FJ62 in Big Pine Key during hurricane IRMA. My question is- how much damage is too much damage? I just received an aerial photo and it looks like no extreme damage. I have it covered by insurance but they will only give me a couple grand. Would like your suggestions! Thanks

if it's been under water, figure on a rebuild or replace of everything, engine, trans, transfer, both diffs. all the electrical connetions, ECU, etc

Thanks for the advice. We are not allowed to go to the keys yet still, but just got a pic from a friend down there.

IMG_8333.PNG

Why is your insurance only giving you a couple grand? And really, only you can make the determination of how much damage is too much.

The KBB is around 3 grand for a 1990 land cruiser. I have new SOR seats and OLD MAN EMU lift installed. I just received this pic from a friend working down there to restore power. I have not been able to go back to see if she starts. I disconnected the battery and sprayed the entire truck down with Fluid Film. The buildings roof broke off in 10 foot chunks and never hit her! Thanks for your advice.

Looks pretty good to me. I don't see any standing water stains on the walls of the building or truck, which is what would concern me the most.

Looks pretty good to me. I don't see any standing water stains on the walls of the building or truck, which is what would concern me the most.

What he said, was thinking the same thing. I think you got lucky. I lived on Summerland Key for a year and on Big Coppit for 9 years 95-05. Moved out a couple months before Wilma hit, was there and stayed for Georges. Hope your luck continues!!!

Unless that spot got 3 feet of storm surge (sea water) to flood the inside of the cab, you're probably good to go.

As a precaution, if you don't know how deep the flood was (if any) replace the gear oils in the diffs & definitely grease up all the grease locations.

if it's been under water, figure on a rebuild or replace of everything, engine, trans, transfer, both diffs. all the electrical connetions, ECU, etc
I think you are crazy, I'd change the oils in everything and run it a bit then change them out again. Before you try to start it remove the ecm and dry it out for a day two in a big bag of rice. Do the same to any other electrical bits that might have gotten wet. It's a cruiser, You might be surprised how well it fared.

FYI on pricing. have your 60 appraised for insurance purposes as this may save you in the future. The KBB pricing is a baseline but doesn't always reflect the demand/desire for older cars that have stopped depreciating in value and are appreciating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom