Huracan Fabrication Tailgate Storage Installation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have all my recovery and air down gear in mine as well as a jump box. Yes, it's alot heavier than stock but nothing I can't manage. I absolutely love it. Only "upgrade" they need to do is weatherstripping for the leading edge as it's bare now. I further "upgraded" mine by adding a couple of scotty tracks made for kayaks. I'm able to put rod, drink, and cutting board holders on there now.

The key point in this writeup for me, and what seems like a change in the instructions, is to NOT cut out the spring. I wish I had kept mine intact and figured out a different anchoring point. Based on your description of cutting the ends I'm guessing you either figured that out or it's now in the instructions. I love my tailgate, but I have to be diligent every time I open it.

The key point in this writeup for me, and what seems like a change in the instructions, is to NOT cut out the spring. I wish I had kept mine intact and figured out a different anchoring point. Based on your description of cutting the ends I'm guessing you either figured that out or it's now in the instructions. I love my tailgate, but I have to be diligent every time I open it.

I don't think it's that big of a deal but I'm also used to opening heavy truck tailgates

Great job on the install and documenting it here. This adds so much utility to the tail gate. But after installing one in my previous truck, I am pretty much sworn off of them.
Here were my issues:
  1. It makes the tailgate heavy (especially with some stuff in it - which is the whole point of it!). It was downright unsafe for my wife and kids to open or close it
    • I believe someone tried to retain the spring for the tailgate to mitigate this, not sure how well it worked
  2. The latches were of piss poor quality, were hard to adjust, kept loosing their adjustment, rattled on pretty much every bump. They also just flipped open randomly when going over bumps - I ended up locking them all the time to avoid this
  3. Made the access to the bulbs in the tailgate pretty difficult.
  4. The plastic flip-up gap cover always caught on the aforementioned despicable latches. Huracan suggested I put some furniture sliders under the cover, that made the cover always propped up and not lay flat on the tailgate. After a few times of opening the tailgate the stick on sliders fell off!
  5. The carpet was very thin and if I remember it correctly started to lift up after a few months (mine came with the carpet pre-installed, so at least this wasn't due to my incompetence :) )
I hope you enjoy this mod, main parts of it are sturdy and other installation hardware (besides the latches) were of good quality.

P.S. Wanna sell your OEM tailgate cover to me?

I have all my recovery and air down gear in mine as well as a jump box. Yes, it's alot heavier than stock but nothing I can't manage. I absolutely love it. Only "upgrade" they need to do is weatherstripping for the leading edge as it's bare now. I further "upgraded" mine by adding a couple of scotty tracks made for kayaks. I'm able to put rod, drink, and cutting board holders on there now.
I wanna see the scotty tracks if you don't mind. And using/holding the gear. I like nifty ideas like that, lol

Here are the tracks

PXL_20231016_182343638.jpg

PXL_20231016_182338977.jpg

Scotty cutting board and cup holder mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom