How to Retrofit HID (Xenon) headlights into LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

faxsmoulder said:
hearmyLX:

Nice ride buddy. Very Very Bright. U fitted with aftermarket HID? hehe nice dude mind to share wat you had done to that car on the headlamp including the foglamp.

Well i love to drive in Bright light cuz i clock myself alot during night time.

cheers

The aftermarket HID/Zenons i use on my LX are by Hidynamics. I like this system because it is just basic plug and play type install. The Pro kits includes 2 ballast, 2 ignitors, 2 bulbs. In our case it is the H1 bulb for driving and H3 bulbs for the fog lamps.

The install in an LX for driving lights is approx 25mins. Just remove your old bulbs, replace it with the HID bulbs, find a nice mounting spot for the ballast/ignitor (both of which are pretty small in size) and plug everything in. Simple as that. The fog lamps are even easier. You could mount the ballast just about anywhere because its water proof.

The Hidynamics Pro kit comes in 3 differnt color temps.
6000k-bright white
8000k- crystal blue
12000k- brilliant purple
I can get the kit at a resonable price. 320 shipped just about anywhere.

Message me or give me a call if you want more info about anything. even if you just want to compare HID kits. I've been thru countless different brands aftermarket HIDS. also experimented with OEM parts.

hidynamicproduct-2copy.jpg

faxsmoulder said:
Anyone has any idea if i buy the whole new 05/06 head lamp would it fit into my 02 LX470. I'm also planning to facelift the rear lamp to LED type. That was so so amazing. I hope the 05/06 headlamp comes with HID projector LENS.
The US model '05/'06 LX470s do not have HID. I've searched to see if other markets had stock HID's on the LX but was not able to find any information. Also thought I'd mention the newer LX's have plastic outer lense cover while the older models have glass.

As for the rear LED's, it has been said the outer tail lights will fit but the inner tail lights of newer LX's ('03+?) are a different shape than the old ones. Do some search on the wiring, I do not think it is just plug and play.

SALEH said:
hoser their is any kit to make my LC Projectors head lights ??
I do not know of any "kit" to make the HID projectors fit. However, there are individuals that will retrofit headlamps for you. Your proximity to the US might make that a long process though. I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket company in Japan that hasn't developed an HID headlamp.

Edit: I was thinking LX not LC. Check out this thread for projectors for your LC.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=58578

Last edited:
hoser said:
I do not know of any "kit" to make the HID projectors fit. However, there are individuals that will retrofit headlamps for you. Your proximity to the US might make that a long process though. I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket company in Japan that hasn't developed an HID headlamp.

I think you should just try out one of the plug and play kits like Xenon Depot and see how you like it. Get the 4300K version for the most light output.

hoser,

I know some of the late(r) Cruisers and Cygnus (LX470) came with at least optional HID, if not standard, here in Japan. It may work for the projector set-up if what I've heard about some(most) of them can be modded/altered from rhd to lhd rather easily by flipping a shade/shield inside or something.

Mot, that's good to know. Would be great to find which market, if any, had the available HID's in LHD. Are JDM headlamps' projection pattern like DOT, ECE or what?

Last edited:
hoser,

I'm 99% positive that both LC100 and LX470 (Cygnus) could be had with factory HID.
It must have been optional because it does not show up in the EPC I have.

Anyway, here is a diagram of what it looks like, not that it should be much different than what you have. But just for fun.

I'll see if I can do a little more snooping and will let you know if I find anything earth shattering! :D

FWIW, I did see a TRD HID retro fit kit at the dealer when I was there last time. It's hard to imagine Toyota making a completely separate/different housings for HID than halogen, too. Maybe it's just plug and play???

Mot
LC100b.jpg
Cygnus.jpg

I've been doing a little reading on a 100's board and found out that a lot of the drivers have put in their own HID's in their rigs (LX470/Cygnus).

They say that you'll have to get the hole a little bigger to get the burner in, as well as making a hole in the water-protecting cap (17-25mm). One guy said that the VX series/models had optional HID, but not the Cygnus.

I've also read that the middle-eastern/African spec models did come with factory HID's (I've read someone say low only and someone else say high only:confused: ).

Anyway, I don't know what the hell I'm saying. ;)

They don't seem to report any problems with installing the aftermarket kits, but maybe they're not that picky. Who knows?

mot said:
[snip]

They don't seem to report any problems with installing the aftermarket kits, but maybe they're not that picky. Who knows?

That's probably because most car owners in Japan have a shop/dealer do the work for them! In the mags, I've only seen the standard HID bulb/ballast kits, not complete projector units. It wouldn't surprise me if HID's were available on the LX in the Middle East, as Toyota sells more 100's in the Middle East annually than anywhere else in the world, and it's unlikely they have picky lighting restrictions. OTOH, if it were available elsewhere, I'd expect someone to reverse import it into Japan (as you can reverse import a LC78 and 105, so why not a set of HID's?).

Thanks, Mot for the info. You da man! Using JDM headlamps would mean baking them open anyway... so it's still some work to use.

I'm happy with my retrofit but I'd try a different projector next time.... one that is smaller and DOT rather than E-code... mainly because of my vehicles ride height.

I've asked Jdan to see if he can dig up any info/part #'s concerning the OEM HID options (if they existed). I'll let you know if I hear anything back from him.

Mot

I'm interested!

mot said:
I've asked Jdan to see if he can dig up any info/part #'s concerning the OEM HID options (if they existed). I'll let you know if I hear anything back from him.

Mot

Mot:

If there are any LHD (left hand drive ie US/middle east) OEM HID options for the UZJ100 (US market LX470), I am interested.

The links that you posted show an HID kit for the fog lamps, and a replacement unit for the fog lamps with four BMW style angel eyes lamps.

Any further information on those?

VC.

Last edited:
vcheng said:
Mot:

If there are any LHD (left hand drive ie US/middle east) OEM HID options for the UZJ100 (US market LX470), I am interested.

The links that you posted show an HID kit for the fog lamps, and a replacement unit for the fog lamps with four BMW style angel eyes lamps.

Any further information on those?

VC.

I "should" be able to get most parts as long as I have the part number(s).

That said, if you can provide me with the part numbers for the OEM/HID set-up (LHD) I will see if I can get them. I there's a member or two in the 100's forum that reside in that part of the globe. So we might want to seek their expertise(sp).

As for HID-ing the fogs, I would not recommend it, even if you went yellow, because from what I've read HID's too bright to function properly as fog lights (in foul weather; fog, snow, heavy rain, etc...) Bright, yellow fogs would look cool though. :D

The Angel eye style replacement fogs are readily available. Not sure on their quality though (I'm not say9ing that they suck. I just have not seen them in person or read anything about them).

PM me if you I can lighten your wallet some more. ;)

Oh, btw, I've posted this info. before, but those with 35w HID's should "upgrade:rolleyes: " to 55w like the pics below:

Pic 1: 35w/4500k

Pic 2: 55w/6000k

Pic 3: Kit

35w4500k.jpg
55w6000k.jpg
Ballast kit.jpg

Pic 3: Comparison

35w4500kd.jpg
55w6000kd.jpg
Bulb comparison.jpg

Some stats: 35w/4500k gives out 3200lm, but the 55w/6000k puts out 6000lm! :eek:

Pic 3: Another comparison

They have been tested for the same durability standard that is applied to the 35watters, 2000 hours.

They are made in Japan, too. Not that it means that much anymore. ;)

35w4500kc.jpg
55w6000kc.jpg
Comparison pic.jpg

MOT,

newer know you r an expert in LC100 technical. Glad to join this voyage discussing all abt HID on LC100. Well most new import of CYGNUS in Malaysia comes with HID standard. Some are not but like my case because year 2000 HID might not be popular yet. Now almost any new Jap Spec car comes with HID standard. So i beleive Lighthing is very important.

I called my parts supplier last week and sh1t i forget to call him back. I ask him to look for some parts and i think later im going to call him back to c if any news. Been bz wit my work till now onli i remember i called him last week satuday to seek some lighting part for me.

The tail lamp is diff as i can c here and wiring must be redo. Toyota being smart lately. Eg my Rav4 2001 model wanna put in 2004 lamp need to change the whole BUMPER. So i assuming for Cygnus if 00 model wanna go for 05 model all also must go out including bumper. Same goes to the rear maybe the whole rear lower trunk panel. Oh crazy. Anyway toyota LC100 is our life our ride.

Long Live.

In the middle east, we get the top of range V8 LC (which is called VX-R) with factory high beam Xenon lights and reflectors (not projectors).. my lc came with that setup from the factory.. if you need the part numbers and details, I could get them for you when I get back to Kuwait.. The low beam is halogen btw..

siglo said:
if you need the part numbers and details, I could get them for you when I get back to Kuwait..

siglo,

That would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

Mot

Getting ready to tackle this. Have a couple questions, hoser.

1. What is the diode in your wiring harness for?
2. Did you use a 9006 connector at the end? I thought we had H1 bulbs? Or do they both use the same pigtails?

Aedgington, the wiring diagram in my write-up is a "generic" diagram. My harness differs slightly. The diode is basically a one way valve allowing current flow in one direction. I did not use one and don't think it is necessary. You will not need to buy a 9006 connector. Just splice the OEM H1 connector from your original harness.

After using this set-up for awhile, I am mostly happy with the results but if your 100 is lifted, I'd suggest going with DOT projectors. I feel the ECE projectors on a lifted 100 (in my case almost 5" w/ suspension and tires) makes for too high a projected beam for drivers to the right of you--blinds them in their side view mirror. I believe the same E46 Bosch projectors come in DOT spec, you just need to specify them when ordering or use a different projector altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom