how to remove 55 gauge panel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
In my pursuit to replace the choke assembly, I DC'd the battery, took off the plastic steering column cover, removed the screws and have pulled the cluster panel out a bit. Is there a connector for the wiring harness leading to gauges? Didn't see one and not much room to access unless I can completely remove the panel. The speedo cable is off but accessing the wiring to get some work room is a puzzle. I'd sure like to clean it all up too and maybe get odo working also.

There is a wiring connection on the multifunction gauge. Hard to reach without dropping the steering column. I left my column hanging while I removed cluster. Made it easier to reach the plug, and remove the assembly.

I don't think the speedo cable was even properly connected. When I undid the panel and pulled it as far as it would go the cable popped off! It was functioning but at times it would get the cable wind up syndrome and the needle start fluctuating wildly and hear a spring type unwinding noise. Maybe that is why the odometer is not working. So my little project has turned into a hassle! That's about the norm isn't it.

...hear a spring type unwinding noise.
Maybe that is why the odometer is not working.

Sounds similar to my Pig odometer!
I took the panel out (glad to hear you DC'd the battery, that AMP meter is dangerous), took the speedometer apart and found there was some ancient lube that hard turned sticky.
I took the odometer section apart and cleaned everything up and she has been working great!

NOTE: make sure to note your mileage when you take it apart, unless you just want to guess. Ask me how I know!

I don't think the speedo cable was even properly connected. When I undid the panel and pulled it as far as it would go the cable popped off! It was functioning but at times it would get the cable wind up syndrome and the needle start fluctuating wildly and hear a spring type unwinding noise. Maybe that is why the odometer is not working. So my little project has turned into a hassle! That's about the norm isn't it.

Check this: Instrument Clusters - will '70 cluster work in a '74?

That is a good link there. No doubt going to put odo in rehab! While in the dash, will be a good time to check wiring and clean switches etc. etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom