How to mount camper shell to '87 2wd bed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying put a topper on and with no inner lip I'm looking for ideas to accomplish with as little hole drilling as possible. Would like to keep from bolting it to the bed rails and use modern style clamps so I could remove the topper as easily as possible. Any ideas?

Hmmm that's gonna be tough... I would suggest a riv-nut, or nut-sert installed into the bed rail so that removing and installing the top will be simple and only require one person inside the bed. Yes that still involves holes in the bed rail... I don't think there's a way around it with your needs.

Hmmm that's gonna be tough... I would suggest a riv-nut, or nut-sert installed into the bed rail so that removing and installing the top will be simple and only require one person inside the bed. Yes that still involves holes in the bed rail... I don't think there's a way around it with your needs.

I have been tossing the rivnut idea around in my head for a couple of days. I hadn't thought about the rivnuts allowing for one person removal though. Great point!!

Even with a lip on a 4x bed, I had to drill. I found no clamp that worked with a narrow rail.

Drilling is not bad and the bolts provide the best clamping force.

A friend screwed some of the aircraft type cargo load tracks to the inside edge of his bed rails. He then used the threaded load rail insert and screwed the bed topper clamps to them. Not the least expensive option, but left him with lots of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom