How long is too long? (oil service history) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, Longtime lurker here. I am finally about ready to join the ranks and purchase my first Cruiser. I'm looking at a 100 series because I want something I won't mind covering great distances with and I really like the power of the 4.7. My Dad purchased a 100 series new in '99 and still has it. It has outlived a over a half dozen vehicles and is just now starting to show its age at 230k. I'm stoked to finally own one myself. I've cast a pretty wide net and found a couple promising candidates. Currently I'm looking at one in Massachusetts at a dealer that seems to specialize in unique used cars. I know how important service history is on a vehicle that you want to drive well beyond 200k miles. The LC im currently looking at has a pretty complete history but there are a few gaps, including a big one early its life. Towards the end of its second ownership the service interval alternated between 5 and 10k give or take. Full service history is linked below. If you more experienced guys could give me an opinion I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DFI_0&vin=JTEHT05J652073327&source=BUP

2005 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD Canton MA 19775512

I would say that is a pretty detailed service history record for an old vehicle definitely a plus. I would definitely go check that one out.

That's not a bad oil change interval. Blackstone Labs has been telling me to go to 14,000 miles between oil changes the last three samples that I sent in. I change at 10k to 12k. 200,00 plus miles

Running Mobile 1 Synthetic and Toyota filters

really depend how you drive and how hard you work the rig. i am not heavy on the pedal. i drive usually consist of flat land stuff like going to the mall. i do between 5-7k even using toyota filter.

I've been to that dealer looking at a few cruiser, and I recommend you spend your time elsewhere.

Cars look great all shined up for internet photos, but definitely a bit gruff in person. Also, they told me they are a "no-haggle dealership." Um, OK sure... list your Cruiser inventory at $5-10k above market comps. If they're priced so well, obviously it's just coincidence they sit on lot for 150+ days...

Do what I did: forget that place, buy yourself a clean, higher-mileage cruiser from the south, and enjoy a weekend road trip.

I wouldn't worry about the intervals. I do longer intervals with mine with no issues as there are many reports on here about how easy this engine is on oil.

My concerns would be the rust and cover up job. I have heard less than positive things about this dealership.

You can see the overspray on the muffler. IT appears they painted everything under it that they could.

It has all new skid plates and fuel tank shield. Meaning the old ones were completely rusted out.

The skid plate in the front only appears to have 1 of the 3 bolts holding it on. My bet is the others were rusted in and broke. If it were fixed correctly all the busted bolts would be drilled out and retapped.

This place has lots of cruisers but I think I would look elsewhere.

Good Luck.
John

I too, would be on the lookout for rust in this rig. Undercarriage sprayed and some new parts isn't a bad thing necessarily. But added with history of where it has spent it life> Proceed with caution.

You can look at links in my signature, and you'll see I don't restore rust buckets. I don't even give rigs from IL to MA a second look. $1K for auto transport or fun road trip home and you can find no rust rigs in Southern & Western USA.

Last edited:
That's not a bad oil change interval. Blackstone Labs has been telling me to go to 14,000 miles between oil changes the last three samples that I sent in. I change at 10k to 12k. 200,00 plus miles

Running Mobile 1 Synthetic and Toyota filters

All I know is oil is far cheaper than replacing a camshaft, usually one of the first things to take a hit with dirty oil. The couple of bucks saved on long oil change intervals won't offset abrasion from grit in the oil. LIKE THE OLD FRAM COMMERCIALS..."You can pay me now or pay me later" Best of luck to you.

Not every shop reports service into the cloud, if they had the oil changed at Joe's Crab Shack and Auto Repair for example they won't enter it into the database.
I'd be more concerned with the price of the truck. There is no way in hell I'd pay that much for a '05 anything.

10k oci all day long in the ujz 100. This engine is easy on oil...

Semi-regular 5-10k service is definitely plenty for a 100. 10k should be anybody's default oil change interval with modern, fully synthetic oils. Anything more often is an outdated myth/wives tale at this point except for "severe service" . :)

We shall see, I have always gone 5,000 miles on full synthetic oil on every car I've ever owned for the last 20yrs.
For the very first time I am going 10k and I am going to do a oil sample.
The miles on my Cruiser are adding up quick.

Miles between oil changes var by oil used. Mobil One now offers M1 EP 20K miles oil when used with there EP synthetic oil filter. But regardless of miles, oil is only good for 1 year in the crank case, 3 yrs in open container and 5 yrs in sealed.

Me i'd like to change as color darkens with all oils & gear lubes.

Fact is you can go many more miles with a good synthetic oil & filter. But filter needs changing out more frequently.

I do mine once a year, or 12K miles, whichever comes first, usually 12,000 miles come first. I'm at about 8K miles since last oil change, and the dip stick still looks like there's fresh oil in there.

We shall see, I have always gone 5,000 miles on full synthetic oil on every car I've ever owned for the last 20yrs.
For the very first time I am going 10k and I am going to do a oil sample.
The miles on my Cruiser are adding up quick.

Nice! I anticipate the lab will tell you to keep going even further! :)

Miles between oil changes var by oil used. Mobil One now offers M1 EP 20K miles oil when used with there EP synthetic oil filter. But regardless of miles, oil is only good for 1 year in the crank case, 3 yrs in open container and 5 yrs in sealed.

Me i'd like to change as color darkens with all oils & gear lubes.

Fact is you can go many more miles with a good synthetic oil & filter. But filter needs changing out more frequently.

Filter. Very true. All my filters are changed out at ~5k, regardless of age or planned interval.

Guys, I am blown away by the response! So much good information. I appreciate all the personal data on oil intervals; gives me an idea of what i should actually be looking for in provided service histories. When I was in high school I actually worked as an auto tech and there is no way we reported anything other than body work to CARFAX or any agency. I get that there may be services done that went under the radar but I wanted to base my decision on the worst case scenario. I did see all the pretty-paint on the undercarriage but I 100% missed the replacement of the skid plates. I live near the Atlantic Ocean and NJDOT uses rocksalt in solution on all the roads around here in the winter so corrosion and painted trucks are not uncommon. I was worried about rust but I missed some very big clues. Thanks especially to JOFS for pointing that out! As far as the price, it seemed way out of line I was going to offer them blue book on the truck (@17k) and see what happened. :rofl:

SLVRSCRN thanks for the 411 on the dealership. I had previously contacted Empire Motors also in Canton MA somehow and couldn't even get a call back. They added me to an email list and that was that. I work sales and customer service now and I am constantly amazed at how some car dealerships comport themselves.

I guess the consensus is don't sweat the oil change history so much and buy a truck from the south. I think I am maybe overthinking things because of my last experience with a used vehicle; I spent more time wrenching than driving. I bet you can't guess what it was. Ha! I am going to keep looking. Thanks for all your great advice I hope I can start contributing here soon! You guys are pretty rad. :beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom