how bad is this rust ? 99 land cruiser rear qrtr panel (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my buddy just picked up this 1999 land cruiser and noticed this rust underneath the bottom of bumper lip.. how bad is this ? what caused this ? .. seems like a really weird spot .. possible rear sunroof drain ?... car is from north east but other rear side quarter panel is perfectly fine.

what would something like this cost to fix?

thanks MUD !

here is the spot

image1 (3).jpeg

If it makes you feel any better I have a fist sized rust hole in that location, smaller hole on other side. Sunroof drains come out on either side along with rear AC drip tube on the passenger side but both drip straight to the ground (not like the front AC drain that empties right on top of passenger sway bar bracket.)

Good thing is this area is totally hidden with OEM bumper cover and most aftermarket bumpers.

It's a sealed body cavity too so I am not too concerned. I have cut out most of the rust and resprayed. Should be good for quite a while.

Your pix may just be surface rust, if so I'd grind it down and seal it up.

The problem here is that much rust leads me to believe you have good chance of rust elsewhere. Check under tailgate near license plate lights, windshield corners, rocker panels in front of rear tires. That body mount is super crusty too so there is a good chance many of the bolts he'll touch during routine maintenance will be fragile. He may become and expert in drilling out broken bolts and retapping the holes... ask me how I know!

Is that the passenger's side? If so, the rear AC condensation is supposed to drain through there, but can clog. Take the rear taillight assembly out and look down, and see how much water is there. Rust sucks...

That's not too bad (relatively speaking). Living in NY, I've seen a few trucks where that entire area has completely rusted away. Keeping up on car washes in the winter is the main thing in the winter.

Pull the taillights on the quarter panels and look down into that cavity to check for any rust as well. The ones I've inspected varied from rust-free, to a mangled mess!

Also, another area to look is the corner at the top of the bumper cover and wheel well, the mudflap and trim piece covers this area and crap accumulates in there as well.

Edit: Picture
IMG_0051.jpg

Mine hasn't had any problems like that yet, though the front lip of the rear wheel well on the passenger side is starting to bubble, those stupid running boards were hiding that area. Word of note to anyone who still has their running boards on: check behind those corner trim pieces by the rear wheels.

Rich

Last edited:
That's not too bad (relatively speaking). Living in NY, I've seen a few trucks where that entire area has completely rusted away. Keeping up on car washes in the winter is the main thing in the winter.

Pull the taillights on the quarter panels and look down into that cavity to check for any rust as well. The ones I've inspected varied from rust-free, to a mangled mess!

Also, another area to look is the corner at the top of the bumper cover and wheel well, the mudflap and trim piece covers this area and crap accumulates in there as well.

Mine hasn't had any problems like that, though the front lip of the rear wheel well on the passenger side is starting to bubble, those stupid running boards was hiding that area. Word of note to anyone who still has their running boards on: check behind those corner trim pieces by the rear wheels.

Rich

Mine hasn't had any problems like that, though the front lip of the rear wheel well on the passenger side is starting to bubble, those stupid running boards was hiding that area. Word of note to anyone who still has their running boards on: check behind those corner trim pieces by the rear wheels.

Rich
Replied with more pics tha ms

If it makes you feel any better I have a fist sized rust hole in that location, smaller hole on other side. Sunroof drains come out on either side along with rear AC drip tube on the passenger side but both drip straight to the ground (not like the front AC drain that empties right on top of passenger sway bar bracket.)

Good thing is this area is totally hidden with OEM bumper cover and most aftermarket bumpers.

It's a sealed body cavity too so I am not too concerned. I have cut out most of the rust and resprayed. Should be good for quite a while.

Your pix may just be surface rust, if so I'd grind it down and seal it up.

The problem here is that much rust leads me to believe you have good chance of rust elsewhere. Check under tailgate near license plate lights, windshield corners, rocker panels in front of rear tires. That body mount is super crusty too so there is a good chance many of the bolts he'll touch during routine maintenance will be fragile. He may become and expert in drilling out broken bolts and retapping the holes... ask me how I know!
Please see more photos i have attached

My eyes, my eyes... Well, ha, I've seen much better, but I've also seen much worse. That's gonna make wrenching on that thing a pain in the arse.

im a glass half full guy, and that looks bad.

Anyone know the estimated cost to replace a rear quarter panel in a 100 series, rust at the front of the rear wheel well

Anyone know the estimated cost to replace a rear quarter panel in a 100 series, rust at the front of the rear wheel well

Ain't ohio salt the best!! I'm in Dayton and my poor LC swims in salt daily in the winter.

You sure you need to replace vs just patching? I am guessing your rust is in the lower portions? In front of the rear wheel it's out of the sight line, I'd just patch and respray that section. If the rust behind the rear wheel is also hidden by the bumper cover I'd do the same.

On my LC I have rusted thru holes on both sides behind the rear wheel but it's hidden by the bumper cover. I plan on welding in new panel sections there. I also have rust in front of the rear driver side wheel. It's just bubbling so I don't know how deep yet but my hope is a repair in that area too.

I just paid a restoration shop roughly $1k to do exactly that, however they did patched up that spot behind BOTH wheels, patched a 6 inch hole in one of the rockers that I cut out, and patched a small spot on the frame. So maybe for just that one spot $200-$350?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom