HJ45 flatdeck restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excuse the hi-jack

That thing is so Land Cruiser; uncomplicated, utilitarian and useful. You need to make left hand and right hand versions. For months I have been trying to think of how I can fit cup (beer) holders to a Cruiser without having to drill into anything or weld onto anything which cannot be removed without trace. What you've got here is the answer to that.

It reminds me very much of the wire cars we made and played with many, many years ago when I was a kid. They were known as "draadkarre" and were traditionall toys for farm kids. (Now it seems only the poor make their own.) We made our own, or if were "lucky" enough to have a fencer as a father we had really good ones made by dad. In my day wheels were invariably Kiwi Shoe Polish tins, or just wire circles wrapped in bicycle tube strips or baling twine. Sometimes for a pick-up bed, we would use a Rhodesian ham tin for a small car or for a big one, a 1 gallon oil can. I must have run a 100 000 miles behind mine by the time I was ten.

NO TWO LOOK THE SAME (Fat tires seem to be a trend.)

Wire cars.jpg

DUALLY POLISH TINS

wirecar 2.jpg

As with everything you can buy factory made versions today.

LAND CRUISER

LAND CRUISER.jpg

HILUX DOUBLE CAB

HILUX DBL CAB.jpg

HILUX SINGLE CAB

HILUX SNGL CAB.jpg

I so enjoy your posts. Those little toys remind me of when times were simpler full on imagination. Something that's missing in today's kids with the invention of the internet, hand held devises and the like.

Excuse the hi-jack

That thing is so Land Cruiser; uncomplicated, utilitarian and useful. You need to make left hand and right hand versions. For months I have been trying to think of how I can fit cup (beer) holders to a Cruiser without having to drill into anything or weld onto anything which cannot be removed without trace. What you've got here is the answer to that.

It reminds me very much of the wire cars we made and played with many, many years ago when I was a kid. They were known as "draadkarre" and were traditionall toys for farm kids. (Now it seems only the poor make their own.) We made our own, or if were "lucky" enough to have a fencer as a father we had really good ones made by dad. In my day wheels were invariably Kiwi Shoe Polish tins, or just wire circles wrapped in bicycle tube strips or baling twine. Sometimes for a pick-up bed, we would use a Rhodesian ham tin for a small car or for a big one, a 1 gallon oil can. I must have run a 100 000 miles behind mine by the time I was ten.

NO TWO LOOK THE SAME (Fat tires seem to be a trend.)

View attachment 1235030

DUALLY POLISH TINS

View attachment 1235031

As with everything you can buy factory made versions today.

LAND CRUISER

View attachment 1235032

HILUX DOUBLE CAB

View attachment 1235033

HILUX SINGLE CAB

View attachment 1235035

I have not tried to make another cup holder yet, I have been busy with work and changing my gearbox to 5 speed. I have used a HJ60 h55f box with a Trans brake from another split case transfer case. I modified the gearbox cover panel to clear the higher turret and used a mix of parts to get the transfer lever back in the same place.
Sorry for the poor pictures, my phone died and this one has a scratched lens :(

20160410_132726.jpg

20160410_103430.jpg

As for your new water pump, I've never heard of the term "arctic" being used in any water pump description before. My ex-factory pump was cast iron but all replacements have been alloy. And a search on that part number (16100-49267) shows a standard pump for an HJ45 that was fitted by the factory from April 79 to July 1980.

Sorry for the derail gents!....Is that part number for the complete water pump (16100 49267) still active and available in NZ?
Thanks.

Sorry for the derail gents!....Is that part number for the complete water pump (16100 49267) still active and available in NZ?
Thanks.

Even if it were available (which I'm in no position to know) I think the price (of around 300 US dollars) would soon put you off.

Does this look like the pump you're after?

HJ45pump_NEW.jpg

There are cheaper ones there on Aussi eBay but I looked at this one because I've bought from 4x4World before.

:beer:

[QUOTE="diogenese, post: 10306556, member: 106816"]I modified the gearbox cover panel to clear the higher turret and used a mix of parts to get the transfer lever back in the same place.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered using a bolt in trans hump cover plate from a 55 or a later 47?

[QUOTE="diogenese, post: 10306556, member: 106816"]I modified the gearbox cover panel to clear the higher turret and used a mix of parts to get the transfer lever back in the same place.

Have you considered using a bolt in trans hump cover plate from a 55 or a later 47?[/QUOTE]
I didn't have any of those so I made mine :)

If you need just the housing I have the alloy one off mine sitting about.

[QUOTE="diogenese, post: 10622060, member: 106816"]If you need just the housing I have the alloy one off mine sitting about.[/QUOTE]

PM sent, Thanks!!

I've been not using the 45 as it white smokes on idle and is down on power. I had the injectors rebuilt but it did not get any better so I had a compression test done and it seems I have trouble with two inlet valves leaking. They probably were the ones open whilst is was sat idle for years. I have found another engine but it has mounts for the EDIC throttle control that I don't have and my pump is different enough that I can not swap parts over so I will have to make something up.
20161218_192153-768x1024.jpg

I have had the seats recovered and got some old stock door cards and sun visors with has made me get all the silver dash parts repainted as they looked out of place with all the shiny! All I need now is a floor mat...
20161214_215058-768x1024.jpg

PS Apologies, but I'm also looking for one of these water pumps. Was this one found in US or AU/NZ? I think it's the same needed for 1980 series 3.6L D H engine. ideas welcome here also. cheers, Nelson
I have my old alloy housing here in NZ. It is usable and now I have a cast iron one I won't be needing it.

PS Apologies, but I'm also looking for one of these water pumps. Was this one found in US or AU/NZ? I think it's the same needed for 1980 series 3.6L D H engine. ideas welcome here also. cheers, Nelson

What month of 1980 was your Cruiser built?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom