Hj45 2h conversion using split case 4 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day fellas, I want to put a 2h into my hj45 so I can fit ac and ps that I not long ago picked up and for a little extra power to drive them. I managed to pick up a 2h out of a 47 for a song which will allow me to fit ac and ps using factory brackets of another stripped 60 series 2h I also have. I am not going to change gear box because my split case has a factory pto winch. I have a spare H bell housing that I bolted up to the 2h to test run it on the ground to see condition, flywheel and H bell housing bolted up good but the huge dinosaur starter fouled on oil cooler, then tried a high torque starter a mate let me borrow but still no fit.I thought I had everything I needed to do conversion untill this little or possibly big hiccup. I looked everywhere but have not found anybody using split case box on 2h cause it seems that everybody that does the 2h conversion automatically put the 5 speed in. So my question is if you have done a 2h convertion to the og split case box I would like to know how you got around the starter motor fouling issues. Cheers fellas.

I've never done it.. but I understand the high torque starter can be encouraged to fit up nicely with an angle grinder.

Was pondering on the idea but not keen on that if there is other ways of doing it + I don't have a high torque here yet and got feelers out for a local 2nd hand one even if dead to make fit without holing the soleniod or taking too much off the cooler but I don't like my chances. She will be in the mud and water and going to some far out places. I have a 60 series alloy bell housing but nowhere to bolt the cross member to the box. I want to use as much factory parts as I can with the least fabed stuff as possible. Cheers.

i have the 4 speed and split case behind my 12HT which is the same block as a 2H. my old 45 also had a 2H with the 4 speed and split case. i never noticed any issues between the starter motor and foul ups. have you got the correct gear reduction starter for a 2H?

what engine did you have in there before hand? does the bell housing come from a H engine? what year?

Sorry my balls up it the non split case I will change the title somehow. Its a H with the mounts on the bell housing and no provision for the cross member on the box.

Sorry fellas but can't seem to change title and edit 1st post, is it possible? Cheers.

oh wow... that changes things big time. i dont think it will be possible to make that bell housing and 2H work together

The H bell housing bolts up great it's just the position for the starter is a little higher on the H then the 2h, can't believe all I've done and all the parts I've collected to do it all, it comes down to 5mm clearance issue lol. All for ps and ac lol. I would have thought an after market bell housing/adapter company would be all over this but couldn't find any of the sort. I might find a dead or very cheap 2nd hand starter and reshape it some how. I have got a 2h starter that got built and modified by my auto elec to fit the H bolt pattern for a spare and works great, so it still maybe possible, not giving up on it easily lol. Cheers.

if you can get it to work then awesome :D some people told me i couldnt get my 4 speed on the back of my 12HT and i proved them wrong.

just make sure your gear of your starter lines up and meshes with your fly wheel right

The early H engine came with non high torque starter and the 1980 H engine came with the high torque starter. Are you running a 2h high torque starter or the 1980 H engine starter.

All the dimensions are the same between ring gear position on fly wheel which both fly wheel types bolts to both engines, both starter dimensions are the same just with one mounting bolt in a different position, the spigot in same position, the crank protrusion from the trans mating surface is the same,crank bolt patterns the same and crank diameter is the same. Done all the measurements on a dump find non runner 2h and spare H bell housing and it all looked sweet so looked for and found a 2h apparently running engine out of the 47 with the correct mounts too and at a cost that I've seen the mounts go for so I jump onto it. I thought I was home and hosed untill the last test was to run the 2h and see if it was any good, was at that point i was stopped with the starter position. I got the 2h going fine on the ground with a bell housing off of a 5 speed I have.

When I bought it, it was fitted with the large non reduction starter, then went to get a starter built for me from my auto electrition( don't like modern chinesse junk) but he had no H starters so he got a 2h gear reduction starter and got a piece welded to it to fit the H. It's actually a 78 fj with a H engine out a dyna or a cab over of some sort with the side mounted throttle body fitted, it was how I bought it,just had to refit the box and rebuild the pto for it.

The 5 speed bell housing and 2h starter set up to test run engine with good clearance.

20170224_172946.jpg

H bell housing fitted with starter rotated to position where the H gear reduction starter seemed to be when dumy fitting mates starter I borrowed, but had to remove oil pressure gauge sender unit. Its a little better.

20170224_181527.jpg

that is a monster starter. who ever invented gear reduction starters was a genius

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom