High Pitched Squeel with HVAC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ATwoZ

SILVER Star
Threads
So, with the weather cooling down I'm getting a high-pitched squeel when the heat runs (and appears to be when cool air runs too)...which I'm thinking is an HVAC fan bearing or something like that.

My diagnosis was pretty rudimentary...
Turn climate control to higher heat --> Whine
Turn climate control to cool --> Whine
Set climate control to ambient temperature --> no/minimal whine (no minimal fan)
Turned off Climate Control --> No whine

Has anyone else run into this? Is this a part replacement or something else? Any idea which part?

I did some digging and it looks like there are 3 major fans (aside from cooler box - which I don't have)...one is part of the AC compressor in the engine bay, another is under the cabin air filter in the glove box area, and then there is one for the rear as well. I'm going to do some more testing isolating front vs rear to see if I hear different things, but right now I'm leaning towards it being the one under the air filter. Which I believe is this part 87103-60481 Genuine Lexus Motor Sub-Assy, Blower - https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-motor-sub-assy-blow~87103-60481.html if anyone wants to double-check that'd be great.

As an aside, I looked in the FSM and it says to remove the instrument panel and pad assembly for access...I will say this is why dealer costs are high, the steps for that outline removing every single part of the dash etc- steering wheel, trim, grab handles, etc etc. Thankfully I've done enough with GROM install I should be able to get away with just removing passenger side trim/glove box etc to access required components. However, if book time is based on removal of everything, that's absurd.

I have the same whine. Here's the thread i had bookmarked. Haven't done anything about mine. I can only hear it if the stereo is turned off.

I have the same whine. Here's the thread i had bookmarked. Haven't done anything about mine. I can only hear it if the stereo is turned off.

Awesome - looks like the same part! I'll do some more diagnostics, and maybe shoot some air at it. Glad to get confirmation.

Well more digging to do, tried to do more diagnosis, but sound is gone....I'm thinking it may be related to excessive cold....luckily will have plenty of more opportunity to confirm that!

Well more digging to do, tried to do more diagnosis, but sound is gone....I'm thinking it may be related to excessive cold....luckily will have plenty of more opportunity to confirm that!
I just started noticing my whine again recently, and it finally dipped into 30-40s this week. So that fits the story line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom