High beam headlight issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Twin Ports of Superior, WI and Duluth, MN
So, I tried searching for the solution to this and nobody seems to have nailed it down. My high beams were experiencing a short delay before they would come on and now they don't come on at all unless I pull the lever to "flash" them, at which point they do come on, but if I push the stick forward to keep them on, I get nothing. I ordered a new relay, but I am not sure that is my issue as the old relay looked fine when I pulled it apart and I can hear it clicking when I turn the low beams on and again when I flash the highbeams.

Any ideas? Could it be something in the stick mechanism?

I see in the FSM that there is a part called the Headlight Dimmer Switch Pin. I am wondering if that might be my problem. Why would that go bad? Could it just be gummed up somehow? Sorry for the newbish questions, but before I try to take my cobbled together clam shell off, I want to be sure I am on the right path.

Last edited:
Probably your headlight switch going bad. I have heard of people disassembling the stalk and cleaning the contacts for fixing your issue.
That has to be part of it. I will have to prep for surgery and hopefully get it things sorted. Do you know if a bunch of stuff is spring loaded in there and will shoot all over the place if I take it apart?

@Red Merle

@Red Merle

Oh boy, I am glad I asked about this. This is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. I think I am going to wait until spring before I tackle this job.

Thanks for the great thread recommendation!

It’s actually pretty easy, I just have a habit of using too many words! Besides, as stated already, at least you don’t have to deal with the stress of removing an airbag.

Cleaning the switch contacts on the sketchy switch originally worked for me for about a month before it totally failed and needed replacement.

It’s actually pretty easy, I just have a habit of using too many words! Besides, as stated already, at least you don’t have to deal with the stress of removing an airbag.

Cleaning the switch contacts on the sketchy switch originally worked for me for about a month before it totally failed and needed replacement.
How long did it take you?

How long did it take you?
Well, since I'm an idiot...! I honestly don't recall, but It took less time for the replacement than it did the cleaning because by then I knew what tools I needed, how to disassemble the necessary parts, and the steering wheel lock nut wasn't stuck as tightly as it was; even accounting for pictures! I work slow and I'd wager it was maybe 2 hours. It was a hell of a lot less time than replacing the clock spring on my 97 after forgetting to match mark the wheel AND not having the wheels pointed straight to begin with.

Be cautious that you don't over tighten the screws that hold the steering column shroud when you reinstall it - it's pretty easy to crack the screw hole pillars (for lack of a better term).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom