Here we go! Onto the FJ60 bandwaggon. Dsalni Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick question - is there a way to tell whether a set of axles is from a 60 or 62? A local friend of mine has a set of axles (unknown whether from 60 or 62) that I could get the stock ring and pinion gears from. Without tearing them apart, is there a way to tell what gearing is inside? Presuming 60 is 3.73 and 62 is 4.11. I know 62 front axle housings had some gussets added, but don't know anythinga bout the rear housings..

Baby steps - a little progress made with the frame. One of the 2 C channels is out, after a brutal battle with all the rivets. To be replaced by the beefy @TRAIL TAILOR C channel inserts:
52291377443_629f562946_c.jpg
52291372001_417a0343b8_c.jpg
52290400052_00e3dc392c_c.jpg
52291640964_50c960e35f_c.jpg

only difference of rear axles is sway bar tabs added but that was in 10/84

Just take the rear service cover off and check the ring gear :meh:

Quick question - is there a way to tell whether a set of axles is from a 60 or 62? A local friend of mine has a set of axles (unknown whether from 60 or 62) that I could get the stock ring and pinion gears from. Without tearing them apart, is there a way to tell what gearing is inside? Presuming 60 is 3.73 and 62 is 4.11. I know 62 front axle housings had some gussets added, but don't know anythinga bout the rear housings..

you could pull a wheel off, put a piece of tap on the outer radius of the rotor/drum, and then rotate the hub and count the number of turns at the driveshaft. Fj60 will be about 3.5 rotations, Fj62 will be just over 4 rotations

I admire your sand. A lot of work but ever so satisfying. These are getting tougher to find that are worth the time and money commitment. the forums are a wealth of valuable information to share and be shared.

I have one of the original ring gears from this 60, and don't see any stampings or marks. What would I be looking for?

I mean, what are you trying to figure out? The ratio? Count the teeth.

Finding out the hard way, that the stock leaf spring brackets apparently have changed throughout the years. Looks like Toyota went from a single rivet on the side of the frame, to a double. Probably common knowledge, but it's something that I'm just now learning. After waiting for 6 months, looks like I got the wrong set of brackets... Does anyone know if ALL of the brackets changed over the years?

Finding out the hard way, that the stock leaf spring brackets apparently have changed throughout the years. Looks like Toyota went from a single rivet on the side of the frame, to a double. Probably common knowledge, but it's something that I'm just now learning. After waiting for 6 months, looks like I got the wrong set of brackets... Does anyone know if ALL of the brackets changed over the years?

Which brackets are you talking about? Can you please post some pictures? This is new knowledge to me if so…

@dsaini Did you ever get your axles situated? I have a very clean ready to install rear from my 84 if not.

Which brackets are you talking about? Can you please post some pictures? This is new knowledge to me if so…
Don’t know the proper term for them. Here are pre and post 1985 examples. Bring a trailer is a great source of reference photos.

Front leaf spring/rear pin and rear leaf spring/front pin:
CAE94F8E-F7D8-4CE0-B4A3-8803240D6F72.jpeg

7337F592-6A2D-4C53-9095-C21A100D09C0.jpeg

6EFF9C3F-8E33-47A8-972B-A2C647414F5D.jpeg

7BD0E9CA-420B-4E5E-9BA0-9E1AADC1744F.jpeg

Single side rivet vs double.

@dsaini Did you ever get your axles situated? I have a very clean ready to install rear from my 84 if not.
I managed to find 2 FJ60 housings that I've since cleaned up. A local friend also has a pair of axles that I'll be hopefully picking up at the end of the month. If those options don't work out, I'll be hitting you up for sure!

So it's been a year since the last update. Life had thrown a few surprises my way - some good, some pretty devastating. But, I'm still trying to make progress, even though it's at a snail's pace. During the year, I managed to find the correct front leaf spring brackets/hangers, FJ62 differentials (perfect, since I want to run 33's), and invested in a welder and started welding.

donor front frame section:
IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_8284.jpg

One thing I completely overlooked (not the first, and wont be the last), was the fact that the FJ62 diff yoke was different compared to the driveshaft... found this out the hard way when trying to connect the two. Live and learn and pay more attention I guess. To be (slowly) continued.
53613676271_8ab51f088b_c.jpg

(ignore the temporary front shackle, lack of rear spring pin, etc etc etc...)
53613669471_7d3761fe6f_k.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom