Help with removing rusted roof rack bolt (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stonekutters

SILVER Star
Threads
Tried to remove by roof rack today - everything went well expect for one bolt on the center leg which had a lot of rust on it. Applied a lot of WD40, and then when I tried to torque out the screw the screw head got destroyed ... and it went downhill from there.

I have tried all kinds of things - drilling a hole, more oil, cutting off part of the rack post to get easier access, Screw extractor from Home Depot, sigh ...

Any thoughts on how to get this out? :bang:

Pictures:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
g4A8AtK

yTyeOFv

open

open

So I would use something like this: Shop IRWIN Hanson 10-Piece Spiral Screw Extractor and Drill Bit Combo Pack at Lowes.com

I have an older set where the drill and extractor are 2 seperate bits. The key is to drill a pilot hole with a deep enough hole (>1/4" and almost 1/2") make sure to use cutting oil. Then wipe away cutting fluid and you want your extractor or left hand drill bit to bite into the pilot hole and reverse it out. You can try gently tapping the extractor or left hand drill bit so it's "jammed" into the pilot hole. Go slow when reversing out so that the extractor / left hand drill bit catches.

This happened to me last month. I used a dremill tool and a diamond bit to make a groove for a large screwdriver, with a lot of pbblaster. Eventually came out.

That sounds awfully familiar. When I ran into this, I solved it by:
1) trimming the "cup" off of the "foot".
2) Used a SpeedOut screw extractor to drill and remove (didn't work until I got out a step stool, to get in a little better position to "lean into it a bit")​

Afterwards we figured out that the "threaded insert" didn't seem to have threads, so we got to:

3) Drill out the remains of the "threaded insert" to insert a new "rivnut"
4) Paint the raw edges
5) Install a new "rivnut"​

Then treated it like the other bolt holes sealing and installing screws.

YMMV

Tried to remove by roof rack today - everything went well expect for one bolt on the center leg which had a lot of rust on it. Applied a lot of WD40, and then when I tried to torque out the screw the screw head got destroyed ... and it went downhill from there.

I have tried all kinds of things - drilling a hole, more oil, cutting off part of the rack post to get easier access, Screw extractor from Home Depot, sigh ...

Any thoughts on how to get this out? :bang:

g4A8AtK

yTyeOFv

open

open

First, do not use WD40. PB Blaster is much better. Let it soak for several days. I would just keep spraying everyday. Then you can try one of the above - extractor or welding a bolt into it.

You have destroyed the plastic leg, just drill out the plastic around the bolt until you can pry the leg up and break it off, leaving the bolt shoulder exposed. May take three or four holes. The larger the drill bit, the more plastic you remove, the easier it will be to pry it off. Then use vice grips to turn the bolt out.

That's how I handled mine.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. My plan is as follows:

1. Apply PB Blaster (thanks @bctlex and @gil12)
2. Chop off the leg and see if I can use vice grips
3. Try Dremmel tool to make a slot to take it out
4. Try another left hand drill set if 2 fails (thanks @dogdaysindurham)

Turns out cutting the leg loosened the bolt - and it just came out!! :bounce:

The rust was only on the white cap and not on the threads luckily so it threaded out easily. Thanks y'all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom