Help this newb buy GX or T4R as work rig ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks

It's time for me to upgrade from a well used Xterra to a more capable and family friendly 4x4 work wagon/family hauler/foul weather commuter on the 120 platform. I'd like help with a specific decision. Oh wise and experienced ones, please guide me as I begin this journey. Sorry about the long post.

I'm capable of moderately difficult DIY maintenance, repairs, and mods but I'm looking for something that's mostly ready to go and will have relatively few needs and breakdowns over 8-10 years of ownership. I've been casually looking locally for a 2005-2008 4R with sub-100k miles and a third row but I've tried to stay open to trim, engine, XREAS or no, etc. I found myself leaning toward V6s tho for lower running costs, timing chain, etc.

When I test drove a low miles but badly pimped V8 Sport in November, there were two other sub-90k 4Rs on my local craigslists for $16k or so. Now that I have a little time to shop I'm not seeing much with low miles at reasonable prices within an hour drive. There is a 2005 Limited with 91k at a dealer for $16000. Higher miles or silly prices on everything else currently. And then I jokingly searched for GX470s...and I feel drawn like a moth to a flame. There's a 2007 with 109k and all dealer work for $17500 that I'm waiting on for photos and more info. But then..

There is a 2006 nav/ML non KDSS with 119k for $14500 negotiable. It's 3 hours away. With VIN and more info from sellers, I see Lexus service through 2013 and 80k miles, and then it was sold and service records vanish. Third owners bought it a year ago at 105k and have run it up toward 120k supposedly just doing oil, rotations, and some brake work. Timing belt job has NOT been done as far as seller knows, the tires are at 40-50%, but supposedly everything works, no exterior flaws, and minor interior wear. The owner says the air suspension works, but it sounds like he's not totally familiar with it. I like the color.

Am I crazy for wanting to drive 3 hours there and back to check this out? And possibly go back to BUY it needing an overdue timing belt job (I could do it myself as long as DIY guide and cam tensioner tool or whatever else is needed is available) and soon tires, on top of the sliders, rack, and maybe skids that I'd need to pick up ASAP? I would have to make two trips, once to see it and maybe negotiate to a lower price, and again to bring the check and seal the deal.

I want to try to look at both the other trucks before going all the way to the other one. I don't want to rush, but I also want to get this done due to work and family factors. Please help.

I flew to Seattle to get mine without seeing it in person. This is a big investment, drive 3hrs. It's worth it.

Just an opinion...the GX is a nicer family option vs the 4runner. It makes sense to drive 3 hours for the right vehicle. Is this the right vehicle?

What area of the country do you live? Rust is also a big factor in vehicle value.

Last edited:
Carmax will transfer it to you for free. Find it in Virginia and they will bring it across the country. Price is not negotiable. They have a nice selection on their website now. Generally they have clean nice looking vehicles that are priced a little bit too high. Imho the GX is worth the extra effort.

The wife`s birthday is the same day as valentines day. Knowing that we spent valentines\birthday driving a total of 9 hours round trip to go inspect and buy our GX. The best part was about 5 minutes before we got there she looked over at me, got giddy and said "I'm so excited, I hope its not a hunk of s*#t".

Is that crazy?

So 3 hours to drive to check out a vehicle you might spend the next 3 - 5 -10 years of your life driving? In our eyes its a no brainer.

Jeremy

If it is the right vehicle, 3 hours is close in my experience. I had an 8.5 hour drive become 12 due to a snow storm to get mine. It was the right one though.

I have purchased vehicles states away with no reservations. Austin, TX (80 series), Phoenix, AZ (Fiat), Rapid City,SD (FJ55), Providence, RI (Rebought my 80), etc. I look at it as an excuse for a roadtrip!

I've bought three cars that were over 2500 miles away. If you know what you want, get the best one that you can find. In the grand scheme of things, whats a few hours for a car that you will have for years to come?

I found my GX 4 hours away just a day before I was going to buy a plane ticket to go to Texas from Washington. I thought I lucked out finding one so close!

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. I'm short on time so traveling all over isn't an option, which is why this $14.x GX stands out in my "local" market. $2500 lower and than another with 10k fewer miles and a nonresponsive seller, $2000 less than a 2005 Limited at a dealership. The sellers have sent me lots of photos but I am waiting on underbody shots. They say no rust anywhere. This is the very edge of the salt belt so it's promising. They also say that they took the truck to Toyota dealer today and got a quote on timing belt that sounds low, so maybe it doesn't include water pump. I am making plans to check it out this weekend.

If I were to look for a long time and travel far to pick something up, I'd look for a non Nav w/ KDSS and fewer miles. But to be honest, a low low price on a solid truck is just as appealing. I could budget for immediate set of tires, rails, weathertech mats, rack etc if I paid $2-3k less than alternatives.

Going to check it out tomorrow. It has needs, but from the photos I think it is a Sport edition which is a big plus, and the sellers seem like they can be pushed down on price.

The sport edition should have the dark (almost black) wood trim and would have KDSS. Pretty rare find.

That said, if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten a 4Runner or Sequoia. I'd prefer to not have the air suspension, integrated Nav/HVAC, and the rear hatch of the 4Runner is infinitely better than the swingout door of the GX, IMO. Although some loaded V8 4Runner Limiteds are pretty close except for the swingout door. Integrating an aux or IPod is a hassle and you really can't upgrade the stereo if you are so inclined.

On the upside for the GX, the 2005+ V8 is very quick, there is a little extra room, they are probably more likely to have been well maintained/pampered (you can check at My Lexus), and I think they may actually be a bit cheaper than a similar 4Runner.

But if your time frame for searching is long enough, I would get the car you want. I can't speak for your particular area, but 4Runners/GXs are pretty much a dime a dozen out here. I would also recommend taking a look at the 2005+ Sequoia. If you don't find them too big, I think they ride as nice or better than my GX and both are more capable than anything I will ever need.

Issues with the GX are air suspension issues, cracked dashes (mostly early ones and in hot climates), and the typical 4.7L drivetrain issues. It is a pretty stout engine but the cooling system seems to have issues with radiators and the air injection system flakes out, but there is a cheap work around.

Hold on there cowboy, Im not completely disagreeing with you but first off the GX is in another class above a 4th gen 4Runner in overall quality, feel and drive ability. Sequoia's ride and drive like Tundra's, and the interior isn't even comparable imo. The dash is a free fix at the dealership. All of them have the 4.7 drivetrain, all of them are off road capable but a KDSS GX will embarrass the rest of that group off road, minus the 4Runner. Radiators need to be replaced as needed on these like every other car and yes some, mostly 100 series/Tundra folk have had air injection systems go out, just swap in a gm part (go figure) and you're good to go.

GX is without question the best bang for your buck but I think the OP has already determined that.

Cheers!

Last edited:
image.jpeg
It's been a busy week and the GX has been hiding in the garage. I ordered a few items for it this week and tomorrow I'm taking it in for a timing belt and water pump at Toyota. And then the fun begins. I've identified a few needs, plus tires and alignment, tuneup, dash replacement, battery upgrade, iPhone integration, sliders, roof rack...I figure I might have $2500 into it within a couple of months mostly doing my own work (but I need to sell our two extra vehicles!). Here's a crummy pic from right after I bought it with the rear suspension jacked all the way up for some reason.

Looks nice. My wife and I were hoping to find one in that color. But we got black. Nice find, welcome and good luck with the new toy.

Jeremy

I saw somewhere on a color chart that "cypress pearl" was for two years only.

As of yesterday the GX has a fresh timing belt, water pump, radiator hoses, and steering fluid flush from Toyota, and a suggested short list of more minor maintenance tasks that I will handle myself. I took my family for the first drive in it last night. It's nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom