Help...something is odd with my wheel hub assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dohcdelsol93

snoogans
Threads
I ordered and installed new koyo bearings for a 1986 4runner. Then my brake rotors came in and I found i have no place to hold the 6 inner screws. I realize i need 6 mounting holes. I have 2 and they do not match up...what gives here? Anyone seen hubs like this before? Aftermarket locking hubs, 6x5.5 pattern. I'm stumped

20210112_182930_HDR.jpg

20210112_182924_HDR.jpg

If I'm remembering correctly there are different years that the studs push through the rotors. I'd double check there aren't 2 styles of rotors for your 86. It's been a long time since I've done brakes.

Give us a pic from the other side.

On the solid axle hubs the studs pull through the brake rotor into the hub. I have no idea if that is the same for IFS hubs.

Im wondering if these are fj40 or fj60 hubs.

On the wheel bearing nut you usually have a washer, the 52mm nut, a lock ring and another nut.

On this one there is a flanged 52mm nut that has holes in it then a keyed with threaded holes that locks in place using 2 beveled torqx bolts.

20201224_144350_HDR.jpg

IFS have bolt on rotors, Solid axle have press on rotors. Those are solid axle hubs. You really want the IFS ones though... you can buy FJ60 rotors that work well with those if you need to get by...

Is the only diffence in the two being where the wheel sits? I think ifs hub on sa axle push the wheels out?

So my wheel will be closer to the frame of my truck than I would with proper hubs.

I am also assuming ill need longer wheel studs and possibly a wheel spacer

How were your old rotors attached. They must have slipped over the studs on the wheel side. If they were bolted to the back they wouldn’t be flush with the hub bc the head of the stud would set them away from the hub unless you pressed the studs out and put them back in. Ifs hubs set the wheel mounting point out about 1.5” compared to sa hubs. I can’t remember the factory placement of the rotor on if’s hub. Those aren’t factory locking hubs either, someone has changed some stuff

Last edited:
The locking hubs are aftermarket but functional so I'm not so worried about those.

Rig came to me with no rotors or calipers.

Putting fj60 rotors on this along with my v6 4runner calipers, im going to have to see if the rotor will align with the calipers.

The locking hubs are aftermarket but functional so I'm not so worried about those.

Rig came to me with no rotors or calipers.

Putting fj60 rotors on this along with my v6 4runner calipers, im going to have to see if the rotor will align with the calipers.
Keep in mind, the fj60 hubs will set your wheel inward so you will probably have clearance issues with your rim and tre you’ll need spacers. If I were you I’d find ifs hubs and locking hubs. Also if I’m thinking right, those locking hubs shouldn’t work if they from a 60. I think a 60 has 30 spline axle, ifs is 27, do they lock?

Last edited:
The spline count is correct for my cv axles, I'm assuming someone robbed these for a sas or early runner/pickup and I got the left overs. I did not count splnes but I did grease/clean everything when I did the bearing install as well as verify it engaged properly/easily.

I have ordered a set of ifs wheel hubs, they didn't come with new locker hubs but I believe these should fit. These are super winch brand i believe, not great but the most ill do in this vehicle is light trail riding and what the south considers to be snow.

Last edited:
Those are Superwinch locking hubs and they use their own spindle nut design. Don't know why, but my '84 came with those same locking hubs and had the spindle nut system that you're describing.

Will they work with standard spindle nuts with locking tab? These seem like they would be fine if torqued properly and some loctite on the bevel screws. Sadly one of the 2 locking screws on the passenger side have been lost, not sure i can find a replacement easily due to the small size.

I recall looking at that and deciding that it probably would not work. Why I do not recall. I ended up buying some Aisin locking hubs and never regretted it. Whom ever it is that bought Superwinch has done their level best to ruin the product line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom