help pulling the trigger on 94 triple locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok yes so I did buy the truck and loving it. drove it up to Helen for the new year and she didn't give me a single problem. it does have a rough idol every once in awhile when I come to a stop so that's been bugging me trying to figure out whats causing it. ordered a new PCV and grommet from Toyota to see if that helps(the pcv looks a little loose so for 10 bucks its worth a shot) non rough idol related I put in a new battery and made a little battery tie down from some old drift car parts we had around, also did an oil change and changed the air filter. rad has a small leak so I went ahead and ordered a CSF rad, got new pads and rotors from Toyota on the way and also mounting up some Hankook dynopro M/T 33s on Thursday. ill post some pictures when I get the tires mounted up. but so far loving the truck

When you remove the gas cap do you hear air wooshing into the tank? If so, you need a charcoal filter. I bought a GM one and saved a ton of money.

Speaking of rough idle, I got a bad tank of gas in my 1994 and it screwed a number of things up. However, out of that I got one injector and got the others flow-matched (plus new plugs and wires and a fuel filter or two). Oh, it purrs now. So, making sure that injection system is clean is a good thing.

Thanks for posting the link.

I talked to him and I wired him the $7500. I'm picking it up next Wed.

No, I didn't. I don't want a 94.
And so it begins, I remember wiring almost triple that and then driving from Ma. to Al. to pick it up in the middle of the night, when I came around the corner and saw it. Well.....Check my posts they are awesome.

Wait. what? Mine does this. what does it mean? Where does a charcoal filter go?
The problem that happens with the Charcoal canister is the carbon inside it over the years gets saturated with fuel, then it no longer works holding fuel vapors and needs to be replaced. Another problem they have is the check valve on top the canister can go bad, if you look, i think it was Land Cruiser Phil that has a thread on how to rework that check valve. When the canister stops working they can cause pressure to build up in the tank and upon opening the gas cap you'll get pressure coming out of the fill neck. One of the ways to limit that pressure is to not fill the tank all the way to the top. The factory canister is NLA so alot of guys buy ones made for GM cars. Here's a link that includes some of the mods that different members have done to correct problems with their charcoal canister.
Charcoal Canister Modification- need help

Last edited:
or you could just pull it off and be done with it, thats what i did.

Id do it all over again with a 94. Congrats.

Buy oem parts
read the 80 series FAQ

Have fun.

And so it begins, I remember wiring almost triple that and then driving from Ma. to Al. to pick it up in the middle of the night, when I came around the corner and saw it. Well.....Check my posts they are awesome.

You've only got 1479 posts......... I have time.......

What do you do with the line(s?) going to it?

i just left it open with a small fuel filter for a lawn mower stuff in it to keep trash out.

CJF you ask if it's safe to leave those hoses open, well here's what happen to Mud member Woofythewolf who did just that.

Qoute
"WARNING: PLUG THE TANK VENT LINES IF YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE IT OFF FOR A FEW DAYS.

I lit my engine bay on fire: I was waiting for the paint around the rim to harden (just used rustoleum enamel to make sure it didn't rust) and since nothing seemed to be coming from the lines I didn't plug them.

When I went to start it today after reinstalling the canister, all the fuel vapors that vented from the line ignited and blew up in a flash fire. It started at the ignition coil and went all over that side of the engine and underneath.

Ignition source: I took off the wire from the coil to the cap and rotor (just finished putting on a new cylinder head and wanted to turn it over enough to get oil pressure before I started it), and I believe it arced to the nearest ground (intake manifold or ground wire of the coil plug). I should've unplugged the 12v side of the coil.

Thankfully I was able to put it out within about 15 seconds, so the only damage is the oil level sensor wiring got burned-it was the last area to get put out. (and fire extinguisher dust EVERYWHERE, even inside the cap/rotor, fuse boxes, etc).
Also note that the fireproof hood lining covering (the black fabric) will ignite and melt, leaving little pieces of burning melted plastic stuck to a lot of stuff in the engine bay. leaves a nasty black residue even when you pick off the cooled/hardened plastic.

This was in a shop that never exceeded 75 degrees over the several days. I did not think the fuel would be vaporizing that much in those temperatures. Not to mention it was 3 month old fuel so a lot of the volatile compounds should've evaporated already." end quote

lol srry but I love this truck

my point being.......

WHICH ONE so I can read about it? I don't need to search 1479 posts to find one obscure post about it.

Point me in the right direction.......

my point being.......

WHICH ONE so I can read about it? I don't need to search 1479 posts to find one obscure post about it.

Point me in the right direction.......
Oh i was just saying that in general reffering to my not owning an 80 EVER less than a year ago to now. it all started here on mud

Why did you order a CSF radiator over the still available 93-94 OEM radiator? Congrats on the new ride!

ok yes so I did buy the truck and loving it. drove it up to Helen for the new year and she didn't give me a single problem. it does have a rough idol every once in awhile when I come to a stop so that's been bugging me trying to figure out whats causing it. ordered a new PCV and grommet from Toyota to see if that helps(the pcv looks a little loose so for 10 bucks its worth a shot) non rough idol related I put in a new battery and made a little battery tie down from some old drift car parts we had around, also did an oil change and changed the air filter. rad has a small leak so I went ahead and ordered a CSF rad, got new pads and rotors from Toyota on the way and also mounting up some Hankook dynopro M/T 33s on Thursday. ill post some pictures when I get the tires mounted up. but so far loving the truck

Cancel the order for the CSF and get a OEM. They are still available and not that much more considering the work involved. Atlanta South Toyota gives the Mud discount. Just go down and have them order one for you." While you are in there" Minimum do all the coolant hoses and thermostat. Sam at the dealership used to sell all the hoses as a kit. You wont regret taking this aproch to it.

PS you will need new belts and might as well do the fan clutch. If you have the original 94 it should be the good black fan clutch.

Why did you order a CSF radiator over the still available 93-94 OEM radiator? Congrats on the new ride!
I work at a auto parts warehouse here in Atlanta and we are a CSF dealer so I got it at cost.
Cancel the order for the CSF and get a OEM. They are still available and not that much more considering the work involved. Atlanta South Toyota gives the Mud discount. Just go down and have them order one for you." While you are in there" Minimum do all the coolant hoses and thermostat. Sam at the dealership used to sell all the hoses as a kit. You wont regret taking this aproch to it.

PS you will need new belts and might as well do the fan clutch. If you have the original 94 it should be the good black fan clutch.

yeah ima keep the CSF coming but I do plan on replacing all the coolant lines and thermostat. why do you say to change the fan clutch ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom