Help pulling an engine and putting it back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crunkenstien

1976 FJ40
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Going to be home at my parents for Christmas and would like to replace the seals and gaskets in my 2f engine (she done sprung a leak).

Neither me or my dad have pulled an engine before. We would super appreciate it if anyone would be willing to come lend a hand.

Thanks,

Andrew

I have pulled and installed a couple. I am in Inola but not sure of my schedule or the dates you want to do this.

Where is the leak? On the passenger side near the back spark plugs? No need to pull engine for that. It is common on a 2F engine.

I have pulled and installed a couple. I am in Inola but not sure of my schedule or the dates you want to do this.

Where is the leak? On the passenger side near the back spark plugs? No need to pull engine for that. It is common on a 2F engine.

My dad is supposed to diagnose the leak before I get there, but I haven't heard anything from him yet. From the pic he sent me it look like 2 leaks. One toward the back of the engine, and one that is more center. Could be the drain plug. I went ahead and ordered a full set of gaskets and seals cause they're on sale from Cruiser Corp for Cyber Monday, so at least if I have to diagnose it myself when I get home I should have the parts.

I'll be home between 23DEC and 2JAN, so I figure I'll dedicate most of the time between Christmas and New Years to trying to fix it. Pretty flexible inside that if you think you might be able to make a trip over 412 sometime in there.

What year is the 40? 2F (75 and newer) has an issue with head leak toward the back above the #5 plug I think. Common problem.

What year is the 40? 2F (75 and newer) has an issue with head leak toward the back above the #5 plug I think. Common problem.

Negative on the head leak near the rear plugs. Still not sure where the source is, but it's leaking out from between the skid plate and the oil pan. I'll have to wait until I get home to pull the skid plate off and see how the oil is getting down there.
Wdtxx

PIC: FJ40 oil leak

Might be the rear main seal or the valve cover gasket.

Might be the rear main seal or the valve cover gasket.

Thanks for the suggestions. I figure Dad should have noticed a leak coming from the valve cover when he looked at the head, but I'm certainly not the expert here.

Would we have to pull the engine to replace the rear main seal, or just pull the T-case/tranny/etc off? Do you really need the special tool to replace the seal? Would I expect the clutch to slip if there was an oil leak back there? (haven't noticed any issues with the clutch).

Thanks again!

Easier to pull the tranny/transfer & clutch to get to the rear main. No special tool needed. I have a seal puller and probably have rear mains around.

The valve cover is usually hard to get on correctly and alot of them leak.

Easier to pull the tranny/transfer & clutch to get to the rear main. No special tool needed. I have a seal puller and probably have rear mains around.

The valve cover is usually hard to get on correctly and alot of them leak.

Thanks for the info. I ordered a full set of seals and gaskets. They were on sale and I figured I'd need them sooner or later. Can't wait to get home and nail down the source of the leak. I've had the truck for about 8 years, and probably put about 10-12k miles on it in that time, so I guess I'm not surprised it finally started leaking.

Any tips for making sure the valve cover goes on right if I do take it off?

As I recall, the valve cover has to be rolled to the passenger side to clear the firewall and rocker arms in the rear. Putting it back on is the opposite. The gasket is rubber and rides in a groove on the valve cover. It sits down flat on the head. Once the new gasket is on and the gasket/valve cover are in place - lift up the rear of the valve cover and make sure the gasket is in the groove. It often slips out. Pretty easy.

While the cover is off, might as well adjust the valves.

As I recall, the valve cover has to be rolled to the passenger side to clear the firewall and rocker arms in the rear. Putting it back on is the opposite. The gasket is rubber and rides in a groove on the valve cover. It sits down flat on the head. Once the new gasket is on and the gasket/valve cover are in place - lift up the rear of the valve cover and make sure the gasket is in the groove. It often slips out. Pretty easy.

While the cover is off, might as well adjust the valves.

Thanks for the info! I greatly appreciate it. That's a good idea about the valves too. I'd like to do anything I can while I'm in there. The truck has been just incredibly reliable, and really taken care of me, so I'd like to take care of it as best I can and keep it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom