Help needed FJFJFJ / 1962 FJ40 44K ORIGINAL MILES (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnnyC said:
I will be showing it everyday when I goto work if you want to check it out sometime... Better come quick however I think it snows next week lol :)

BTW I kid ya :) .... However east coast hmmmm that would be cool :)

One NY winter and you could undo all Dave's work :)

I was browsing california orange county craigislist for land cruiser, I saw your ad and it brought me here. Thank for stealing about 3 hours of my life reading through this thread :D But don't worry I'm on the clock, hahaha. What an adventure it must have been for you, when I was looking for a FZJ80 land cruiser in the past, my friend suggest I get an FJ40. I didn't have the taste for it at the time, but it's starting to grow on me. Fantastic restoration, I wish I had the time or money or the passion or patience to dedicate so much into a project like that.

This thread and the ending makes me hopeful for selling my 23k mile 1970 that I am slowly restoring!

Hello Socallove and all other MUD members. I am sorry to say that there is somebody who is advertising my 1962 FJ40 Restoration on Craigslist in and around California. I have tried to stop them but have had no luck. MY 1962 IS SOLD SO PLEASE DON'T FALL FOR THE SCAM THIS IDIOT IS RUNNING ON CRAIGSLIST. Cheers. FJFJFJ

Last edited:
Hello Socallove and all other MUD members. I am sorry to say that there is somebody who is advertising my 1962 FJ40 Restoration on Craigslist in and around California. I have tried to stop them but have had no luck. MY 1962 IS SOLD SO PLEASE DON'T FALL FOR THE SCAM THIS IDIOT IS RUNNING ON CRAIGSLIST. Cheers. FJFJFJ

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/4084971043.html - if you see it, FLAG IT!

fjfjfj said:
Thanks Overton.

I had the same thing happen with my troopy. I flagged it then emailed craigslist with the details. It was gone in hours.

DAVE62NEWNEWWINERYSIDE.JPG
I wanted to update you guys on the strange twist of fate regarding my 1962 FJ40. The Cruiser sold last September. It was sold to an avid Land Cruiser collector in the Philippines. Really great guy. After he paid me he asked if I would store the cruiser until he was able to transport it to Manila. He paid monthly to have it stored here in Temecula at a local public indoor storage unit. I would start the cruiser for him each week and obviously enjoyed having it around while he trudged through all of the required paperwork. He even flew over to see the Land Cruiser. He loved it. Well about 3 weeks ago customs denied his application to import it. He was certainly bummed out to say the least but decided after much consideration to have me offer it to the Heritage Land Cruiser Museum in Utah. http://www.landcruisermuseum.com/ . After a deal was reached between the two of them the Land Cruiser was picked up yesterday and is on its way to its new home.

Last edited:
That is great news that it stays here in the states and most importantly at the museum. What a terrible thing for the original buyer. I visited mine that the museum bought from me a while back and all the folks going to Cruiser Fest will be able to see yours too. It will be a great addition to the museum. Great ending to a great restoration.

BTUMAN,,,,,,,,,Good to hear from you. Yea, things worked out the way they were supposed to I suppose. Am sorry for the buyer overseas as he is a real Cruiser Head, loves the old originals and has become a friend. Am glad mine is with yours though. lol!! I look forward to visiting there one of these years.

Hello My Wife Said No FJ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks for the info. Well I have some " not so good news " regarding my long awaited 1962 FJ40. Believe it or not, strange as it may sound, the Land Cruiser was repainted upon new arrival 50 years ago. That is correct, the brand new cruiser was painted to match the other cruisers in a fleet of 3 owned by a hunter. Each cruiser was painted light blue and top was painted orange and grille was painted orange. The cruiser I bought was actually NUMBER 1 ( the decal still on the side of the cruiser ). This original owner ( who had it for just 3 years who then sold it to the family I bought from who had it for 47 years ) PAINTED EVERY SQUARE inch of the cruiser. He even took out the seats and painted underneath them, painted inside the glove box. He did NOT take out the gas tank though but we did. It is white under there. There were other give aways also, some MUD members even mentioned few spots in the interior but I thought perhaps they might have just been touch up kinds of things. I did not know all the cruiser colors back in 1962 so thought light blue might have been a color that Toyota used but,,,,,,,,,,,not so. The cruiser was indeed white when new. So,,,,,since it does not have original paint but has a repaint job that is 50 years old ( truth is stranger then fiction in this case ) and my intention was to clean it up, get it running, get it safe and then drive it in all original form then I think I am going to restore the whole thing. Quite frankly I would NOT have purchased knowing that it had been repainted. Not much interest there. But,,,,,,,,,,in all fairness to the cruiser, it is in wonderful condition ie: NO CANCER RUST at all!! Very straight, no dents, almost everything is there, nothing missing except two front caps and the spare tire. Engine only has 41k ( either 41 or 44k ) on it and it appears to be in great condition. We are spending the next week on the mechanics. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What is the MUD SUGGESTION. Complete off frame restore OR just drive it with the very very unusual repaint that just happens to be 50 years old?? Will send more pics soon. FJFJFJ

I know this is an old thread, but I was just at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum last month and was able to view this beauty in person. Dan showed me around and told me the story of this old 62 FJ40. When he told me the part about it coming from Colorado and being repainted light blue and orange a little light went on in my head.
My 65 came from a used car lot in Colorado Springs and was originally Horizon Blue, but had been repainted a much lighter shade of blue- basically the same as yours. When I was stripping the fiberglass roof, I found several several layers of paint, one of which was a sort of burnt orange shade like the roof of this one. Also, the headlight bezel had 2 layers of bright orange paint on it.
Now what are the odds of two old Cruisers coming from Colorado with the same (odd) repainted color scheme?

Hello Imac,,,,,,,,,,,,That is very interesting. Perhaps yours was also used as a hunting vehicle. Orange being the safety color used by hunters and perhaps the roof also orange in case someone gets lost out there hunting. Also, bezel orange on mine as well, I was told to match the other 2 cruisers in this guys hunting fleet. My understanding also was that the owner painted mine Light Blue ( from original Lily White ) and trimmed it in orange ( roof and bezel ) to match the other two in his fleet.

dave62frontinbarn.jpg

DAVE62OLDOLDBACK.JPG

dave62.JPG

Did you ever get the name of the hunter who painted them? Mine had some .22 and 12g shells under the seats and in the toolbox, as well as gun racks mounted in the hardtop.

Nice. I certainly see some orange crush there. lol. In my case I was told it was to match the other two Land Cruisers in the hunters collection. I remember he used to have a business. The guy who sold it to me was 15 when his dad put it in the barn. He was over 60 when he sold it to me. That owner ( the hunter ) who sold to his Dad passed away many many years ago. It was in the barn for 46 years. Crazy. So, I only know the details that are in my restoration log which I documented pretty well and is here on mud. I really got lucky on that one. A very amazing and rare find and great story of how that thing finally got to me after all those years. Cheers. Keep putting of pics of yours as you move along. Very cool. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom