Help! Just installed new head unit, bypassed amp, and now only 4 speakers work... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I just installed a new head unit in my 1995 LC and bypassed the factory amp, but now only 4 speakers are putting out sound, which sucks. Currently only the two front dash speakers and two rear passenger door speakers are working. The front door speakers, rear cargo speakers and sub are silent.

I replaced the stock head unit with a Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS and attached the Metra 70-1761 harness to the unused Toyota grey harnesses, which I gather bypass the factory amp. The factory amp remains untouched.

I would think that the new harnesses would pick up all speaker wiring, but am I wrong? Do I need to wire to the original Toyota harness in order to pull in all speakers through the factory amp? Or is there some other solution?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I just installed a new head unit in my 1995 LC and bypassed the factory amp, but now only 4 speakers are putting out sound, which sucks. Currently only the two front dash speakers and two rear passenger door speakers are working. The front door speakers, rear cargo speakers and sub are silent.

I replaced the stock head unit with a Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS and attached the Metra 70-1761 harness to the unused Toyota grey harnesses, which I gather bypass the factory amp. The factory amp remains untouched.

I would think that the new harnesses would pick up all speaker wiring, but am I wrong? Do I need to wire to the original Toyota harness in order to pull in all speakers through the factory amp? Or is there some other solution?

Thanks!
I *THINK* it should power them all, except maybe the sub. Did you unplug the amp as well, or just bypass it? You need to go in there and unplug/remove the amp. I just installed a new head unit yesterday and all the speakers seem to work fine. I still need to disable the subwoofer in the back because I'm getting some weird feedback from it. There are numerous threads in the 80 Forum about this but there is a lot of stuff to wade through... The consensus seems to be to remove or at least unplug that amp.

OK, I just finished installing mine (a cheapo Kenwood) And you should have power to all the door speakers, as well as the little upper speakers in the back. Not sure about the little dash speakers. I think they get disabled when you unhook the "amplifier". You need to unhook the "amplifier" and the "subwoofer" for everything to work properly.

I use the "." because when you get in there, they're just pathetic. And I'm in no way an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom