Help diagnosing new oil leaks... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Quick question regarding some new oil leaks. I changed my oil last week and now am noticing some leaks through the valve cover gasket, as well as the gaskets between the carb and the air cleaner housing, and between the carb and the intake manifold. I’m pretty sure I used conventional oil (as opposed to synthetic, or blended) so I’m not sure what would have changed. Previously I had no leaks at all at these locations.

If I overfilled it a bit, could if it manifested in this manner? The dipstick shows that it's totally filled but I can't really tell from the stick if it's overfilled. Either way I'll empty it and refill more gradually, but I'm just not convinced that overfilling could create these sudden leaks.

Any thoughts/ideas? Am I totally off base?

Some basic pics. These areas were dry last week.

Thanks,

Tighe

42707D11-3EBF-4ABA-8F33-C73C30417ABB_zpscmxxkp0n.jpg

3ED257BF-4A81-4714-A603-2EF666A47A15_zpsptqtjjcn.jpg

I really don't remember- I keep both in stock but I'm pretty sure I used conventional...but I could be wrong.

Had I used synthetic, could it really leak right through the gaskets in a week? I never would have guessed that.

Valve cover gasket either needs to be replaced or you need to tighten the valve cover bolts more.

Thanks Greg. It's on the to do list. I've never touched the valve cover gasket/bolts since buying the truck several years ago. Probably going to just disassemble and clean everything and reassemble with new gaskets.

Just hoping not to hear that this is a preliminary sign of something more serious.

I've got a 12ht but does the 2f run a pcv valve if it does check to see if its not gummed up if it is it can cause pressure build up from blow by resulting in oil leaks ?

Thanks Greg. It's on the to do list. I've never touched the valve cover gasket/bolts since buying the truck several years ago. Probably going to just disassemble and clean everything and reassemble with new gaskets.

Just hoping not to hear that this is a preliminary sign of something more serious.
Last week I removed the valve cover on my '76 FJ40 for the first time since I bought the vehicle over 15 years ago. The 2F valve train looks clean as a whistle, with only ~64,000 original miles. The valve cover gasket has weeped a little oil over time. I cleaned the valve cover inside and out, cleaned off the mating surface on the head (an uneven crusty layer of hardened oil), cleaned up the gasket (same hardened oil), reinstalled the cover, and carefully tightened the nuts in sequence to the specified torque. Not a bit of leak since. Just in case, I ordered new OEM valve cover gaskets for all of my Land Cruisers, except for the 3FE going into my '86 FJ60 (it has a fresh rebuild).

'76-FJ40-Valve-Train-1.jpg

'76-FJ40-Valve-Train-2.jpg

'76-FJ40-Valve-Train-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom