Help choosing RTT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to throw another factor into the mix....Innovation. Tepui is leading the RTT market in terms of innovation and bring improvements and new products to customers. Many other companies have taken note and have tried to mimic what Tepui has done the leg work on. For example, Tepui released the "Ruggedized" tents over two years ago and they've been incredibly successful. It's no coincidence that there are now others out there with nearly identical reproductions of the same thing, and even more examples of "me-too" brands out there that are using designs from other brands and sourcing them from a variety of new factories springing up all the time and adding their own logo. Many of these brands will likely not be in business 5 years from now.

The new Baja Series and White Lightning tents that Tepui has for 2017 are a couple more examples of new and creative innovation.
I'm not trying to imply that Tepui invented the RTT or has some kind of exclusive claim to the market. There are lots of options to choose from these days. But I personally like to support companies not only with some history and a quality product, but also with the drive to innovate, rather than imitate.

As some companies try to go with thicker and thicker materials, which obviously come with extra weight, Tepui has not changed their Ruggedized line which uses thicker materials that most other brands, but not the heaviest. The reason being, that is often forgotten is breathability. As material gets thicker and waterproofing added, it becomes more difficult to keep it breathable. Tepui has found what I think is the "sweet spot" with a thick durable material that doesn't sacrifice breathability.

Just one guys opinion based on personal experience with a variety of tents, even if it's a slightly biased opinion. ;) Like all of you, I'm still a consumer and I have to like what I want to use. I also have the luxury of not needing my sales to put food on the table. It's not my primary income so I've been able to be picky about my own gear for my personal use and there are only a couple that I've taken to the next step and started selling, Tepui being the main one.

I was hoping to avoid a roofrack. Do RTTs mount to 2, 3, or 4 cross bars? I was thinking at least 3 to distribute the weight.

We've used 2 Thule crossbars for a Autohome hard shell tent for years, and it has held up perfectly well, even on endless Baja washboard roads.
3 or more crossbars are a pain, as the roofline is not flat and your tent will not touch all bars.

Update....still loving my Treeline Outdoors tent, but next time I am buying a hardshell. I would seriously look at the recommendations about soft vs hard shell in this thread if you are still on the fence. Set up doesn't take long, but it is a pain in the ass on top of a cruiser with a lift. I only run 285's and I am 6'1" and I need a step stool to quickly set it all up. I could do it without one, but it requires climbing all around the truck and it is a PITA. This is no reflection on the manufacturer at all. It would be no different on and soft tent.

I saved a 1000 bucks by buying a soft shell, and I also have more room and a completely enclosed annex, which will be clutch this winter at the ski hill. I will say, however, that the instant set up of the hard tops is pretty clutch.

Space becomes one of the key factors when choosing between a hardshell and a softsided RTT. Quick ease of setup is often better with a hardshell but typically they will only fit 2 people. If you need more space than what a hardshell provides, there aren't many options other than a softsided folding RTT since they double their footprint size when they're opened, and have additional options like an annex.

Hardshell will almost always be more expensive than a soft tent. One style will work very well for one person and the other is the better choice for the next guy.

I was hoping to avoid a roofrack. Do RTTs mount to 2, 3, or 4 cross bars? I was thinking at least 3 to distribute the weight.

I fabbed up my own 3 cross bars using 1x2 square steel tube and 3 Gamiviti rain gutter mounts. I think i'm $200 all in and I'm very happy.

3 bars was prob overkill for my Tepui Kukenam RTT but I'm a little OCD....

I fabbed up my own 3 cross bars using 1x2 square steel tube and 3 Gamiviti rain gutter mounts. I think i'm $200 all in and I'm very happy.

3 bars was prob overkill for my Tepui Kukenam RTT but I'm a little OCD....
This is an excellent, effective and inexpensive way to do load bars for a RTT! Biggest cost is the gutter mounts, then just bolt the tubes to the mounts and you're good to go.

Adam, I get my VERY OWN Kukenam Camo next Friday. Thanks for all the great advice and 'pre-sale' service. Pity we couldn't get a little of the credit/$ to go your way !!

We are still loving our Tepui Autana Ruggedized! The biggest test we put it through so far was our first night in the Columbia River Gorge recently. When we got there is was absolutely pouring rain. I asked the wife what she thought and she said "We bought the damn thing to use it!", so we set it up (around 8 minutes), jumped in and stayed dry all night. The RTT has been our best camping purchase to date!

IMGP4941-XL.jpg

This pic is worth a thousand words! The first night on our Oregon trip and the wife was loving it!

IMGP5394-XL.jpg

Camping on the beach in Cali!

Adam, I get my VERY OWN Kukenam Camo next Friday. Thanks for all the great advice and 'pre-sale' service. Pity we couldn't get a little of the credit/$ to go your way !!

That camo twnt is cool. The former grunt in me almost waited for one. They were back ordered.

We are still loving our Tepui Autana Ruggedized! The biggest test we put it through so far was our first night in the Columbia River Gorge recently. When we got there is was absolutely pouring rain. I asked the wife what she thought and she said "We bought the damn thing to use it!", so we set it up (around 8 minutes), jumped in and stayed dry all night. The RTT has been our best camping purchase to date!

IMGP4941-XL.jpg

This pic is worth a thousand words! The first night on our Oregon trip and the wife was loving it!

IMGP5394-XL.jpg

Camping on the beach in Cali!

Awesome rig man. Very cool. My wife and I are in Seattle, where are you guys. I just moved back and met another cool cruiser fanatic already.

^^^^ is that Gold Bluffs @Mr Tibbs ?

Looks awesome...!!
Yes sir, I believe it was! Cool little campground!

Awesome rig man. Very cool. My wife and I are in Seattle, where are you guys. I just moved back and met another cool cruiser fanatic already.
Actually we live in Utah. We do like to get out and travel though. These pics are from our trip to the Oregon coast earlier this year!

Congrats on the purchase! Happy to help in any way I can to make the decision easier hopefully, whether you buy from me or not.

Congrats on the purchase! Happy to help in any way I can to make the decision easier hopefully, whether you buy from me or not.
Need help all you rtt experts trying to find the right tent for my cdn101 build soon

Man I love my Tepui. Had it for about 3 years now. Used it in The heat, s***ty rain, really s***ty cold and snow. no issues whatsoever. and I don't even have the ruggedized model. no tears or rips, all zippers still work great. Plus Tepui offers so many accessories for the tents now. In the future I may upgrade to the Autana when we start having little ones.

I'm planning to soon buy a CVT Mt Shasta Extended. Does anyone have any input on extending to the side vs toward the stern of the truck on a 100 series? Will mount to an Outback extreme flat rack...

I'd save up $ for a hardshell. I had the ARB Simpson III for 6 months, used it 3 times, sold it. Hated setting it up and putting it away. I like the idea of having it ready in seconds rather than 10-15 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom