help buying an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I might be getting an office promotion which means I will have to give up my work truck and get my own reliable wheels. It has been a decade or so since I had to commute to work under my own financial means and all I have is a fairly built fj55 to drive right now. Work is less than 30 miles so mph is not an issue.

So, I got the Mrs on board with (another land cruiser?) as she says. I was looking at 80s and lx450s. I found a 96 lx450 at a dealership in my price range and It has 146k miles. Don't know about lockers but It's not a deal breaker at this time. Is there anything I should be looking for in terms of problematic items or indicators of future problems? I know they are reliable but every truck has an Achilles heal. Also is there any advantage one has over the other, 80 or lx450?

Thanks in advance.

The only Achille's heals I have ever found, are the breaks. Not a major problem,
but they will need to be serviced more than any other vehicle that I have ever owned. As far as the 80 vs. the 450, I think it is mostly interior cosmetic differences.

there is nothing inherently wrong with the brakes on these trucks - just sayin' - with proper maintenance you should not have any problems

PHH, birf soup, worn brakes, heater valve, anything rubber in the engine compartment, roof rack rust, worn shocks, saggy coil springs, broken seat adjuster, slow windows,....

This isnt all of them but most of the things I've had to replace on mine.

Thanks for the posts. One of those slee links was informative. I did hear the brakes were an issue. It seems that Toyota under builds brakes because my work truck is a 2011 tundra and I go thru brakes often.

ALL rigs need to be maintained and all items mentioned above are maintenance items... Well except for the rust. And this would be my biggest concern... Does the truck have excessive rust.
The list of PM items can get long
PHH
Birf
Tune up
Brakes - 100 brakes up front last a very long time(Add some Cryo slotted rotor and you are good to go)
Etc.
Accept that you will have to do maintenance.
If its a clean truck everything else can be worked on..plus pretty low mileage....

GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom