Help! 22re won't start after head gasket r2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced head gasket due to coolant in the oil. Now it won't start and shoots a puff of smoke out of what i believe to be the a/c idle up valve. Has anyone had this problem before or have any ideas of how to go about fixing it. Thank you in advance. Below is a link to a youtube video of what its doing when i try and start it.

Can't like @gnob's comment enough. Put the motor to TDC by lining up the crankshaft pulley groove with 0 on the dial on the oil pump. Pop off your distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing in the 11 oclock position. If it is not, pull out the distributor and realign so that the rotor is pointing at 11 oclock and reinstall.

That should fix your issue.

Can't like @gnob's comment enough. Put the motor to TDC by lining up the crankshaft pulley groove with 0 on the dial on the oil pump. Pop off your distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing in the 11 oclock position. If it is not, pull out the distributor and realign so that the rotor is pointing at 11 oclock and reinstall.

That should fix your issue.

Thank you! Adjusted the timing like you suggested and threw in new spark plugs and she started right up. The rpms went straight to about 3k and slowly went down to 2k and sat there for a minute and then the idle started fluxing between 1500 and 2000. Any idea what this might be? I have attached another video.

Thank you! Adjusted the timing like you suggested and threw in new spark plugs and she started right up. The rpms went straight to about 3k and slowly went down to 2k and sat there for a minute and then the idle started fluxing between 1500 and 2000. Any idea what this might be? I have attached another video.

Hmm, does it sound like it's missing at all?

My 22RE idle fluctuates all the time. Sometimes I start it and it's at 1200, and other times it'll be as low as 200. Previous owner searched forever and couldn't figure it out. I think they're notorious for it.

Does the truck have A/C by any chance? Also I would recommend you get a timing light and time it now that it's all back together and that might fix your issue too. You may have to loosen the bolt on the distributor and turn it a little bit to get it perfect.

Also if it's fluctuating that frequently, check all your vacuum lines on the intake & EGR too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom