Hello from Newbie! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello & Some Questions From Newbie!

Hi all! Just picked up my first LC. I love this thing and can't stop staring at it! I'm really shocked how well these things hold up after many years and miles. I had a couple of problems that I have been able to solve using the search method. I do have a couple of questions that I have not been able to find much info on. 1)Neither my left or right rear door light up the dome lights. Either front door or rear hatch light them up. Any ideas? 2)This thing idles at 1800 rpm when cold, then settles down to about 5-600 warm, and 800 with A/C. By doing a search, it looks like i need to clean the tb and IAC valve. Am I on the right track? 3) I need shocks. This thing will never be taken off road (I know, sacrilege!) and would like a nice ride. Everything is stock and would like to keep it that way (no lifts, etc). Any suggestions? Thanks for listening to my long winded post, and I look forward to being a part of this community.

Last edited:
Dome light issue sounds like switches. I had to replace my drivers side one when I bought mine. Get to know cdan.

No mods?!?
What a waste.

Nice rig, welcome.:flipoff2:

Looks good and welcome:flipoff2:

at 175k youd be amazed at the difference by uprading to old man emu's stock height springs and shocks for an all around better ride and regaining the sag that has accumulated in 12yrs. best of luck

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/80_omelift_details.htm

let the mods begin;) and dont forget to check out the steps to baseline a newly purchased cruiser in the FAQ section

Welcome, You will change your plan on mods as soon as you see how cool some of them

Welcome!

1) The rear door switches probably need cleaning or replacing.
3) The OME (Old Man Emu) stock height replacement springs and shocks would be a good bet, if you don't want to do that, a new set of 4 OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) shocks are about $100 from cruiserdan.

DS and PS rear door switches need to be replaced to get the dome lights to come on. I've replaced both mine. Very easy. Call cruiserdan at American Toyota - see banner ad in the vendor section at the upper right of the screen. There is no finer Toyota Parts Manager in the world. His sage advice, service and prices can not be topped!

Idle RPM's are very normal. Nothing to worry about there.

I'll second replacing your OEM springs and shocks with stock height Old Man Emu. That was my first step - before the OME lift. If you're still running original springs and shocks, replace them. It will make a world of difference in the ride and handling of this very capable beast.

Lastly - be very careful of this site. You WILL end up modding that truck in some way, shape or form. You've been warned. Mods are addictive.

Second Lastly - Welcome! :flipoff2:

alain173 said:
Everything is stock and would like to keep it that way (no lifts, etc).

I can appreciate that and pay no attention to the others.

alain173 said:
Any suggestions?

Yes, just a few. :D
Slee 4" or 6" lift kit with 35 mudders.
4.88 gears with lockers (hopefully yours is factory locked.)
Sliders, then front and rear armor. Add a winch in there somewhere.
You'll need dual batteries and an on board air system so start looking at those.

That should get you through the first month or two. We'll give you more suggestions when those are done. :cheers:

-B-

Beowulf said:
I can appreciate that and pay no attention to the others.

Yes, just a few. :D
Slee 4" or 6" lift kit with 35 mudders.
4.88 gears with lockers (hopefully yours is factory locked.)
Sliders, then front and rear armor. Add a winch in there somewhere.
You'll need dual batteries and an on board air system so start looking at those.

That should get you through the first month or two. We'll give you more suggestions when those are done. :cheers:

-B-
:doh: :doh: :doh:

DUDE! dont waste that perfect cruiser on the roads!! WTF?! a little off road never hurt anyone!! I said a "LITTLE" people!!

you will find in stock form it does an awsome job off road, but an upgrade to some OME springs will make the ride and performance much better. since your so close to MO. you can go to the "Flat and nasty" Landcruiser event (end of month) and see some of the different cruisers on different springs and lifts as well as try out your new ride.

OH YEAH.... WELCOME TO MUD, ITS LIKE CRACK...... YOU'LL BE BACK!!!!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Thanks everyone. Contacted cruizerdan, and purchased 4 oem shocks for a $140 delivered to my door. Hopefully that will help with the rough ride. Next will come all the preventative maintenance stuff. I can't wait to get my hands dirty! Oh yeah, I've also put 800 miles on the rig without doing a thing to it. 15.2 mpg Highway. I'm happy. This thing is a tank on the hiway!

alian173,
Welcome to cruiser town where no one escapes without a lighter wallet:)
You have a good start going.
Keep it stock (as long as you can) and do all the PM 1st.
Learn about the PHH, you probably already have the blue top EGR vacuum module, probably already have rebuilt starter.
Baseline all fluid, grease etc before you catch the mod fever.
Its not if but just a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom