Heater Hose Part Number Conundrum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

In the middle of a frame-replacement project on my 1989 FJ62. Axles, engine, etc... are all back in the frame, so now the engine is getting a complete re-seal while everything is still easily accessible. That includes replacing basically every hose that carries coolant or oil on the engine.

Which leads to the problem I'm currently in. I have been able to find just about every hose I need, except the hose that goes from the water pump to the distribution pipe bolted to the side of the block.

Lakeland Toyota's diagram for a '89 Cruiser is incorrect:
MEJ699D.jpg

That is not what my hard line looks like, and bozo me absent mindedly ordered 87246E and 87245A, and got a little upset today when they didn't fit....

Poking around Lakeland Toyota's site, I found if I selected a 91 or newer FJ80 with a 3FE, it would show me the correct heater piping. However they don't show the part number of the hose I need. I highlighted in green which hose I need (I did manage to find the hose labeled 87208 and order it).
Screenshot 2021-05-17 215331.jpg

SOR has the hose for sale, but they won't give me the actual real part number and want nearly $35 for that hose. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction to finding the actual Toyota part number for that hose? Or if anyone has any other solutions that have worked for them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I usually use www.toyotapartsdeal.com or www.partsouq.com if I know the part number. Between the two of them I more often than not find what I'm looking for.

Edit: Just realized I misread your question. The link @OSS posted is a great resource for tracking down part numbers.

Last edited:
That number 87208 (the PNC#) shows as part number 87209-60130 PIPE SUB-ASSY, HEATER WATER. My interpretation of that is the part is the two metal tubes and the two hoses at the front end. It doesn't appear the hoses were sold separately by Toyota. The part assembly is NLA anyway.

Check out Rockauto.com for the 1990 FJ80. they have some hose that are labeled as "pipe to engine". The hoses are "cut to fit", so you would use a piece of the hose that has the correct bends in it. You might find something that looks similar to what you need.

or you could browse the Gates Vintage catalog and then do a google search and look at pictures. Product Catalogs - https://www.gates.com/us/en/knowledge-center/resource-library/product-catalogs.html

Last edited:
OSS, that page has the same issue. The pipe assembly they show is not what my engine has. Maybe I have an FJ80 engine? Or maybe the pipe assembly was swapped? The engine sure seems original, and with only 165,000 miles I doubt it's been replaced. Or, the parts diagrams are just incorrect.

Is there anyone with an 89-90 FJ62 that can take a picture of the front half of their heater pipe to see if its the FJ80 style, or if it's the style shown in the parts manual?

2mbb, I'll take a look at the Gates catalog, thanks!

EDIT: I just did a whole bunch of searching, and I cannot find a single picture of a 3FE OR 3F equipped FJ62 with a piping/hose diagram like the parts manual shows. Every single engine I can find has hoses that look like the one my engine has. The 2F is completely different. What's going on here?

Last edited:
OSS, that page has the same issue. The pipe assembly they show is not what my engine has. Maybe I have an FJ80 engine? Or maybe the pipe assembly was swapped? The engine sure seems original, and with only 165,000 miles I doubt it's been replaced. Or, the parts diagrams are just incorrect.

Is there anyone with an 89-90 FJ62 that can take a picture of the front half of their heater pipe to see if its the FJ80 style, or if it's the style shown in the parts manual?

EDIT: I just did a whole bunch of searching, and I cannot find a single picture of a 3FE OR 3F equipped FJ62 with a piping/hose diagram like the parts manual shows. Every single engine I can find has hoses that look like the one my engine has. The 2F is completely different. What's going on here?
Why does it have to be oem Toyota hose?

that looks like a hose with a 90 bend in it, get the rear heater hoses and just cut it to fit and save yourself money and headache

I have a 62 what exactly do you need a picture of?

Why does it have to be oem Toyota hose?

that looks like a hose with a 90 bend in it, get the rear heater hoses and just cut it to fit and save yourself money and headache
I'm not 100% set on OEM Toyota hoses - they just fit without me needing to match things up forever at the parts store.

The diagram doesn't quite do it justice. It's actually two 90s in the same plane, then a 45* bend in a different plane to match up with the hard piping. I might be able to find a hose close enough to work.

@tmxmotorsports , I was just looking for a picture of the heater hoses that go from the engine to the hard pipe on the side of the head.

I'm not 100% set on OEM Toyota hoses - they just fit without me needing to match things up forever at the parts store.

The diagram doesn't quite do it justice. It's actually two 90s in the same plane, then a 45* bend in a different plane to match up with the hard piping. I might be able to find a hose close enough to work.

@tmxmotorsports , I was just looking for a picture of the heater hoses that go from the engine to the hard pipe on the side of the head.
Yup that’s a headache every more so when parts don’t match right up, glad it’s not mine

good luck to ya, I know the struggle and feel ya

1990 FJ62. Here is what mine look like:

51191502055_2792cf8da1_c.jpg

51189731837_3607af2e14_c.jpg

I'm playing the same game:

51190652198_051c127b6a_c.jpg

So you are also trying to identify that particular hose?

Thanks for the pics Bad Religion! Mine has the same hoses.

EDIT: Thanks to the confirmation here, and then a ton of ridiculous searching random part numbers. It turns out that all Land Cruiser heater hoses, regardless of application have a part number that starts with 87245, which allowed me to look at tons of different hoses. I then stumbled across an old iH8mud thread from 11 years ago that had the information I was looking for.

The part numbers for the two hoses in question are: 87245-90K36 and 87245-90K53

Thread: 3FE heater hose, the $200 one, no longer - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-heater-hose-the-200-one-no-longer.383095/

Pic:
hose.jpg

Last edited:
The parts catalog already shows what took 4 days to figure out. :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 15.54.15.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 15.54.24.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 15.54.28.png

Instead of wasting all of this time, does anyone actually pick up the phone and call their Toyota dealership parts department and ask them for this information?

Also, 87245 is generally a PNC and not a part number itself. There are many other part numbers that hare coolant and heater hoses (AKA: water hoses) that do not start with 87245.

For example:

99556-30100
99555-10200
15777-61011
90910-01072
16571-61110

Etc.

View attachment 2679429

View attachment 2679430

View attachment 2679432

Instead of wasting all of this time, does anyone actually pick up the phone and call their Toyota dealership parts department and ask them for this information?

Also, 87245 is generally a PNC and not a part number itself. There are many other part numbers that hare coolant and heater hoses (AKA: water hoses) that do not start with 87245.

For example:

99556-30100
99555-10200
15777-61011
90910-01072
16571-61110

Etc.
When in doubt I check with the guys at American Toyota, they're never wrong - they're carrying on a long-term tradition.

View attachment 2679429

View attachment 2679430

View attachment 2679432

For example:

99556-30100
99555-10200
15777-61011
90910-01072
16571-61110

Etc.
Thanks for setting us straight! We got distracted in the first post because the parts diagram (the drawing) didn't seem to match what is on the vehicle. And the OP found a later-model diagram that did match. I suppose those diagrams are somewhat generic and may not be exactly true to form. I guess we need to have more faith in Mr. Toyota.

The OP did say he ordered the parts per the diagram (87245A and 87246E) and they didn't fit, but he doesn't post the actual part number what he got.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly. The parts diagram shows completely different hoses, which is the problem I had.

To clarify, I did get one correct hose, but the other was wrong (and matches the short straight hose the diagram shows). I should go look and verify what part number they actually sent me.

As far as calling a parts department? In my experience, calling dealership parts departments is completely useless when trying to describe a part without knowing exactly what it's called. Especially when trying to describe two coolant hoses on an 30 year old engine that has at least 20 different hoses associated with the cooling system. Even the Lexus parts departments were hopeless unless I provided them with an exact part number or precise part name/location.

Last September, I ran into to the same issue. K53 and K36 are the correct numbers. I was nervous between ordering from McGeorge and when they arrived, but they matched exactly to the 330k mile OEM hoses. 8.99 for 53, and 24.99 for 36.

does anyone have a list of the rear 5 heater hose part #s handy?

IMG_2718.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom