Heater for a poorly insulated garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I know alot of you guys have either shops or detached garages where you work on your projects, but what do you do for heat? I've got a 2-car that's very poorly insulated, and for now I'm borrowing climber8483's propane Reddy heater, which works great but I have to have the windows open to vent the fumes from it. What do you guys use? It's got a wood stove (without fan) in there too, but when it's really cold the stove doesn't do much at all. I've considered getting a used pellet stove if I can find one for cheap, but I'm wondering if there are other options that'd serve me better. Thoughts?

I know alot of you guys have either shops or detached garages where you work on your projects, but what do you do for heat? I've got a 2-car that's very poorly insulated, and for now I'm borrowing climber8483's propane Reddy heater, which works great but I have to have the windows open to vent the fumes from it. What do you guys use? It's got a wood stove (without fan) in there too, but when it's really cold the stove doesn't do much at all. I've considered getting a used pellet stove if I can find one for cheap, but I'm wondering if there are other options that'd serve me better. Thoughts?

I use one of these in my garage. Works great for me.

keroseneheater.jpg

I live in a desert so take it for what it's worth. I've always found that retaining heat is easier that heating something that is already cold. Insulation is critical and a 24/7 heat source will be more effective that trying to warm it up only when you're out there. Cold air is also very dry, anything that will add moisture to the air will help retain heat.

I'd love to insulate the snot out of it, but we're only renting this house so I don't want to make a big investment in something that'd stay with it once we move out. It'd be so easy to insulate it too, given that there's very little mounted to the walls and it has an attic that'd lend itself well to some blown-in insulation.

valentine, I've considered either one of those or a kerosene Reddy heater. I know the Reddy heater puts out some slight fumes from the combustion (though I'm told not nearly as much as the propane heaters). Would I be correct in assuming that the style you use puts out some degree of fumes too?

I vaguely remember a thread, maybe not on here where a guy built a frame out of treaded or soldered pipe large enough to enclose his car and or work area and hung canvas or heavier duty material on the frame.

It was all disasembleable? and could be taken with him. Even if you did something like that and put insulation on the top it would be fairly easy to heat. And you don't have to insulate the entire area.

Good luck.

Unless you're there for less then 30 days then an infrared heater pointed at you may work.

wood stove with a fan and DRY wood is probably the best in your case.

X100. This is what I used while insulating my shop in the dead of winter. As long as there's not too many drafts coming in, it works great. Just a box fan or oscillating fan will circulate the air enough to warm the entire shop.

Insulation is cheap when comparing it to any form of heating. It will also help keep it coolin the summer.

10 gallons of diesel for the exsisting furnace= $ 45
Load of fire wood = $200

3 bats of pink unsulation = $30 (You will need more insulation than that.)

If you insulated the garage, maybe the landlord would take the cost of materials off your rent. Never hurts to ask.

i have a 40,000 BTU "infrared" propane heater installed in a VERY airtight, insulated shop and, i can tell from experience, your advice is poor advice.
"infrared" heaters DO NOT heat the items in the room, they heat the air which in turn heat the items. i go into a nice long factual debate with you on this one if you wish.
Unless you're there for less then 30 days then an infrared heater pointed at you may work.

I'd love to insulate the snot out of it, but we're only renting this house so I don't want to make a big investment in something that'd stay with it once we move out. It'd be so easy to insulate it too, given that there's very little mounted to the walls and it has an attic that'd lend itself well to some blown-in insulation.

valentine, I've considered either one of those or a kerosene Reddy heater. I know the Reddy heater puts out some slight fumes from the combustion (though I'm told not nearly as much as the propane heaters). Would I be correct in assuming that the style you use puts out some degree of fumes too?

None that I notice. Sometimes I'll be out there for a few hours with it running.
I don't vent the garage at all when I'm working out there.

None that I notice. Sometimes I'll be out there for a few hours with it running.
I don't vent the garage at all when I'm working out there.

This certainly explains a few things...

:flipoff2:

i would ask the landlord to cover the cost of the insulation, and would add some coal in with the wood

i would ask the landlord to cover the cost of the insulation, and would add some coal in with the wood

Or a waste oil drip system

i have an old oil furnace hooked to a 5 gallon can and my garage is nice and warm ,a friend of mine uses an old mobile home furnace same set up .dont need duct work just a plenam and a filter on the cold air return .paid 50 bucks for mine.

I use a ready heater 70 K BTUs It really works fast. Then I use a propane mr. heater that is radiant. I then will warm it up withthe ready heater. I do vent the garage though when the ready heater is running. My Garage is 24 X 24 uninsulated and a 12/12 pitch on my roof. No sheet rock or anything on the walls.

It is below ten today and works like a champ.

John

I'm with the unsulate, or more efficient wood stove group. If the lanlord doesn't want to pay for insulation, you can take the stove with you when you move.

i would stay away from the pellet stoves, they are a pain in the ass, and they do not put out the heat a wood stove does, put a fan behind the wood stove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom