Headlight Fire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Merry Christmas everyone.

Unfortunately one of my first postings to this forum is a bad circumstance. Came home from the store (not less than a 20 second drive away) and parked my truck to head inside. Normally I would walk because the store is so close to my house however it is pouring rain so I took the landcruiser. Inside the house I smell burning plastic so I head back outside to see where its coming from and I have flames jumping out from underneath my hood and the DS headlight. Hit it with my extinguisher to buy some time to call the Fire Department.
They do what they have to do and now I am in need of part numbers. The metal hoop on the center of my hood needed to be cut because the hood wouldn't unlock with the latch, I assume something the line that runs from the interior hood release must be run on the DS and got melted (correct me if I'm wrong). It doesn't look like my battery was impinged by the flames despite the fire being right there. It also doesn't look like the fire got far enough to affect the radiator either, hopefully I can start her up in the morning and move her so I can take my wife's car out of the garage and use that as my daily.
Basically what I really need help with are part numbers for anything in that side of the truck that needs to be replaced. I am uploading pictures of the damage, hopefully that will show the extent of what needs to be done.
Unfortunately the island that I live on (Lanai, Hawaii) has very limited resources and everything needs to be flown in or shipped in. No wrecking yards with spare cruiser parts and there are 2 mechanics on island but they have very limited knowledge of landcruisers. I have only ever done my own maintenance.
I need a new hood and DS front fender for sure,
New headlight (gives me an excuse to tell my wife I need Euro spec lights)
New wire harness - Does anyone know if the slee upgraded wire harness will include everything I need in terms of wiring?
Is there anything that burnt that is NLA?
Any knowledge and help will be greatly appreciated.

0C3BEAAD-B464-4A64-A34F-E0353E422A09.jpeg

43C036A5-BD97-4D2F-94AA-F5B91158EF22.jpeg

02094C7E-5ABE-4C19-82F6-6B9E5B28B4A1.jpeg

EBE02FDD-4093-4633-9E00-A4D71DE2A89C.jpeg

74A58B44-20D7-442D-8BAB-6D89DA12DF0D.jpeg

Was it the headlight harness that shorted out?

Did you already have a Slee harness installed?

What year and what color?

Get on www.partsouq.com to see exploded view diagrams and write down part numbers.

You can order quite a bit from www.absolutewitsend.com or from McGeorge Toyota.

Good luck!

Add a battery hold down bracket to your list. Looks like it was sliding around and cut some insulation off of wires back there starting the fire?

Thanks guys. its a '97 40th anniversary in the emerald green. Just last year I had a full paintjob done except I added more gold flakes so the paint really sparkled in the sun if I ever kept her clean. I did not have the slee harness previously nor upgraded bulbs but the fire came from the light bulb that was installed. After assessing the damage today I need a new front harness; not sure of the proper name for it. All the wires coming from the fuse box in the wire loom going towards the DS headlights. Most of the plugs got melted on the harness side as well as damage to the wires. I will have to splice a new/used one in. I believe that the battery got moved around when the fire department was trying to make sure the fire was out, however a battery hold down bracket is a must. @slow95z ill send you a PM.

Seeing as how some of your AC rubber, and hard lines run close by where you had that fire. You might want to give those components a good once over too, just to make sure they weren't damaged.

Seeing as how some of your AC rubber, and hard lines run close by where you had that fire. You might want to give those components a good once over too, just to make sure they weren't damaged.

I was just looking those things up in my FSM. The hard lines look okay but my pressure switch got melted so that's another thing that I need to replace

I haven't looked real close on my own truck, but if there are any hard line connections close to that fire. I'd make it a point to open that connect up, to replace the O rings inside it. Seeing as your going to have to evacuate the system to replace that pressure switch, I'd replace any O rings at that same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom