Head unit microphone placement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the catskill mountains and the delaware river, NY
I am about to install a Pioneer AVH-W4400 AVIC that I picked up for $350 refurbed on eBay. I have a plan for most of the wiring (still not sure about the GPS antenna) but I am hung up on the microphone.

What have you all done with your radio, not CB, mics?

Thanks in advance

I ran mine along the driver side A-pillar and clipped it to the top of the panel that can be removed while running the wire behind that press-on door seal/gasket. I’ve also seen people clip it to the sun visor. I’ll try to get a pic for you next time I go for a drive.

Top of the steering column; great audio and inconspicuous.

Same as some others. Top of the steering column.

I guess mines not on the bottom actually but on the mounting arm. Here's a pic. Would like to see pics of the steering column option.

Mic.jpg

I ran mine along the driver side A-pillar and clipped it to the top of the panel that can be removed while running the wire behind that press-on door seal/gasket. I’ve also seen people clip it to the sun visor. I’ll try to get a pic for you next time I go for a drive.

Same here. Works well for me in this location.

Has anyone tried putting it in the dome light / sunroof control housing? It's there in my Audi and works great. Seems like a good, common invisible location.

I haven't opened it up to see if there space in there.

Thanks everyone for the info!

I put the mic behind the little vent in the lower left corner of the AC control module. Audio is good and out of sight.

Put mine in the hand throttle control hole just below the steering column. Popped out the plug and the mic fit perfectly inside the o-ring already there. Cannot see it and works great.

I ran the cable across the headliner and down the passenger A pillar. Then I clipped it into the sunroof controls. It's as close to the driver's mouth as possible, but I'm not happy that it's as clean looking as I would like. I'm still considering something a little more subtle, but it works for now.

IMG_20200413_161325.jpg
IMG_20200413_161325.jpg

I ran the cable across the headliner and down the passenger A pillar. Then I clipped it into the sunroof controls. It's as close to the driver's mouth as possible, but I'm not happy that it's as clean looking as I would like. I'm still considering something a little more subtle, but it works for now.

View attachment 2271313View attachment 2271313

If you get rid of the clip and just use a piece of double sided tape it'll look a lot more subtle, especially taped to the front edge of the control panel.

I'm in the top of the steering column camp. It's easy to pop the wire over to the radio from there and really doesn't stand out unless you're looking for it. I only get complaints about not being heard if I have the windows down and I doubt any different placement will fix that.

View attachment 2271313View attachment 2271313

Did similar but mine is clipped onto the liner at the windshield gasket just behind the mirror arm.

I am putting mine on the side of the rear view mirror pod, and routing the cable under the headliner.
1601048263401.png

This requires pulling up the glue on the headliner and re-gluing
1601048300416.png

This glue works very well for this purpose--and you can pull it up again if you need to. Very similar to the OEM glue.
1601048353081.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom