Head unit microphone placement (1 Viewer)

the catskill mountains and the delaware river, NY
I am about to install a Pioneer AVH-W4400 AVIC that I picked up for $350 refurbed on eBay. I have a plan for most of the wiring (still not sure about the GPS antenna) but I am hung up on the microphone.

What have you all done with your radio, not CB, mics?

Thanks in advance

I ran mine along the driver side A-pillar and clipped it to the top of the panel that can be removed while running the wire behind that press-on door seal/gasket. I’ve also seen people clip it to the sun visor. I’ll try to get a pic for you next time I go for a drive.

I ran mine along the driver side A-pillar and clipped it to the top of the panel that can be removed while running the wire behind that press-on door seal/gasket. I’ve also seen people clip it to the sun visor. I’ll try to get a pic for you next time I go for a drive.
Same here. Works well for me in this location.

Dan2722

SILVER Star

Put mine in the hand throttle control hole just below the steering column. Popped out the plug and the mic fit perfectly inside the o-ring already there. Cannot see it and works great.

the catskill mountains and the delaware river, NY
I ran the cable across the headliner and down the passenger A pillar. Then I clipped it into the sunroof controls. It's as close to the driver's mouth as possible, but I'm not happy that it's as clean looking as I would like. I'm still considering something a little more subtle, but it works for now.

IMG_20200413_161325.jpg
IMG_20200413_161325.jpg

I ran the cable across the headliner and down the passenger A pillar. Then I clipped it into the sunroof controls. It's as close to the driver's mouth as possible, but I'm not happy that it's as clean looking as I would like. I'm still considering something a little more subtle, but it works for now.

View attachment 2271313View attachment 2271313
If you get rid of the clip and just use a piece of double sided tape it'll look a lot more subtle, especially taped to the front edge of the control panel.

I'm in the top of the steering column camp. It's easy to pop the wire over to the radio from there and really doesn't stand out unless you're looking for it. I only get complaints about not being heard if I have the windows down and I doubt any different placement will fix that.

View attachment 2271313View attachment 2271313
Did similar but mine is clipped onto the liner at the windshield gasket just behind the mirror arm.

John Young

SILVER Star
I am putting mine on the side of the rear view mirror pod, and routing the cable under the headliner.
1601048263401.png

This requires pulling up the glue on the headliner and re-gluing
1601048300416.png

This glue works very well for this purpose--and you can pull it up again if you need to. Very similar to the OEM glue.
1601048353081.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom