Head Light Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience with these headlights? I would like to find a pair if someone can validate their quiality. Thanks for the help
upload_2018-5-27_10-10-37.png

So what brand are they? The Offroader Life is just a website for T-Shirts and stuff

Mine were bought on amazon. I think Anzo. Not the same as those but they work. Mine dont have the built in side marker. I had to adjust the heck out of them because they were pointig all over the place. The cutoff is not bad! And I dont get highbeamed, since I adjusted them down. For the price they work decent. They have plastic lenses and I have had no water moisture issues with mine.

OI001992.jpg

I think @jcardona1 and a few other guys have the ones that are more like the ones you posted.

They look a lot like the ones that came on mine, but with the housings blacked out. The brand is Sonar, i don't know the part numbers for it, but I do know that when I looked into them, I couldn't find any information on them. They were installed in Japan.

full

full

That's with the HID kit installed.
They have low beam projectors in them, the halo rings and little bottom LEDs can be lit up too, so they're a bit on the blingy side. They were DOT approved, but the light cut off was backwards and I had to flip the shields so I could run them on north American roads.

I switched over to led in the factory housing, way better over the halogen bulbs. the stock housing has good light pattern just the bulbs don't really put out a lot of light

I personally would never put an LED bulb into a housing that was not designed for one. They have a different light pattern than the regular bulb and stock assembly is designed for halogens. This being said, I have not done so in my cruiser but have in other rigs and the results sucked. Stray light all over the place, not an even pattern. Sometimes they would have a decent cutoff, but still sucked.

Just put in some HIR bulbs. I put the higher wattage 9011 in both the low and high beam. These have the filament at the same point as the stock bulb and so throw off the same pattern. Here is one of many threads. In this one, LandCruiserPhil actually did a real test:

Testing HIR lamps - What I found

I live rural. No street lights, few houses out here. Very dark at night. Lots of deer too. With the new bulbs, I have no desire to do any further upgrade. IMHO it is one of the best, cheapest upgrades I have ever done.

As is with everything in life, this is JMHO. YMMV.

Last edited:
9011 and 9012 for me, and it's a huge upgrade with no mods to my truck. It's a winner.

color me 80 series crazy, but I actually really like the old school look of the stock headlights and bulbs.

with that said, cheap input = cheap results. esp with lighting. it's a pricey component to upgrade to do it right functionally and cosmetically.

if icon released something like this setup for the 80, then i'd consider it, but even then, the aesthetic would be a bit off though maybe with a few other mods i may be convinced.

ICON Signature LED Headlights | shop.icon4x4.com

color me 80 series crazy, but I actually really like the old school look of the stock headlights and bulbs.

with that said, cheap input = cheap results. esp with lighting. it's a pricey component to upgrade to do it right functionally and cosmetically.

if icon released something like this setup for the 80, then i'd consider it, but even then, the aesthetic would be a bit off though maybe with a few other mods i may be convinced.

ICON Signature LED Headlights | shop.icon4x4.com

Agreed. Most of the aftermarket ones that have been linked look too mall-ninja/lightbar aesthetic for my taste. If anyone has any suggestions for upgrades that look at least relatively stock I would love to hear them. I don't understand the need for all the excess bolt on cannons, but the stock light output is absolute ass and can definitely be improved on.

Lookin' Good!

Got my order from Rock Auto (very next day). The bulbs (as thought) are simply Re-Boxed Philips bulbs (Made in Germany).

Hard to beat the price.

9011 bulb Rock Auto2.jpg

9011 bulb Rock Auto.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the cheap Rock-Auto bulbs. 6 of these just landed on my porch as well and are also labeled as Phillips bulbs. I'm looking forward to a night-test soon.

Thanks for the heads up on the cheap Rock-Auto bulbs. 6 of these just landed on my porch as well and are also labeled as Phillips bulbs. I'm looking forward to a night-test soon.

Did yours come in a big Ol' honking box? Sheeeesh... Rock Auto must have lost money on just the packaging.

HUGE box...stuffed full of filler, bulbs inside of another smaller box that contained the white box the bulbs were actually in. You would think these things were radioactive or something. Maybe they hire ex-drug smugglers to package them? ;)

Box.jpg

ha, yeah same packaging only some of the little white boxes were directly in the large box and a few were in their own individual brown boxes as your's were. I went ahead and ordered 6 bulbs to have a few spares on hand since, I'm guessing the low beams won't last too long, and I assume that all of the intermediate size boxes wouldn't fit so they unpackaged some of the bulbs to get it all into one big box.

if price isn't an issue. Get clear glass deops and do a HID projector retrofit.

Best output and keep a stock look.

Everything else is pretty much not worth it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom