HDJ81 Remote Start Install - 24V Starter Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had this problem? extensive searching with no results. Aftermarket AUTOPAGE RS665-2WA alarm and remote start. When pressing remote start engine starts but starter will not shut off, continues to spin. It is appears to be intermittent, the pause time is set to setting 1 which I understand keeps the ignition start to the minimum length of time. :(

The story; Couple of weeks back I had a remote start installed on Bella. I knew that the 24V would be an issue so I went with a place in Chicago that's been doing alarms and such for over twenty years. My thought was, lots of experience, maybe not with Diesel 24v, but...

6 days later I remote start from friends living room. We chat for a wee bit then I head off to the rig, I hear a wine coming from engine, I think right away its the starter still spinning. Shut her down immediately and try to re-start, nothing. Pull out meter, check batteries correct voltage, try banging side of starter to unseat contacts, nothing. I am stranded in a suburb with a suspected fried starter. :mad: 3 days and a good chunk of change for the new starter truck is up and running.

:banana::banana::banana: job based on top bolt and wiring loom

So back to installer. "Maybe your starter was old", OK it's possible I figure, but have techs check over the install to insure all is correct. "Yes" all is installed correctly, "probably an old starter."

Sunday, remote start Bella, starter spools up, engine starts but starter wont stop spinning, so I shut her down immediately. Have not used remote start since. Truck is running and starter appears fine. :mad:

That's where I am now. I have since discovered that the remote start is probably a waste of time and money anyway because of the diesel not really warming up strictly on idle and I should go with Webesto or similar instead if I am looking for cold start reliability. For what I have paid so far that would have been the better choice.

I doubt this issue has anything to do with the starter being 24V. More likely an issue with the starter system not being properly set up to recognized that the engine is running.

I'm not sure what my installer did, but my starter runs for probably 4 seconds, even if the engine has caught and is running on its own. I've asked him about it and was told it was the best he could do. It's never stayed engaged beyond that though.

It turns out to be perfect for when it's actually cold out, as the engine takes a few spins to catch (like -30C cold), but as stated the 1HD-T won't ever warm up just idling when it's cold out. I've got a Webasto TSL17 in the garage I need to get installed before the mercury plummets, which I'll have wired to the aux function on the remote. The only real plus I've found with the remote start, is I gained keyless entry, lol.

I doubt this issue has anything to do with the starter being 24V. More likely an issue with the starter system not being properly set up to recognized that the engine is running.
Douglas, what you're saying is its the remote start install not being wired up correctly.

I'm not sure what my installer did, but my starter runs for probably 4 seconds, even if the engine has caught and is running on its own. I've asked him about it and was told it was the best he could do. It's never stayed engaged beyond that though.

It turns out to be perfect for when it's actually cold out, as the engine takes a few spins to catch (like -30C cold), but as stated the 1HD-T won't ever warm up just idling when it's cold out. I've got a Webasto TSL17 in the garage I need to get installed before the mercury plummets, which I'll have wired to the aux function on the remote. The only real plus I've found with the remote start, is I gained keyless entry, lol.

Yes apparently the settings are 1 through 5 with five being the longest. This setting is set by the installer upon install and unless you know the codes (which I don't, yet) it cant be changed by user. I have read that sometimes on the older vehicles the "Tack" ometer line if not set up correctly can cause this.

I think the Webasto is the way to go. Chicago gets cold but not as bad as Winnipeg, luckily!!

Yes apparently the settings are 1 through 5 with five being the longest. This setting is set by the installer upon install and unless you know the codes (which I don't, yet) it cant be changed by user. I have read that sometimes on the older vehicles the "Tack" ometer line if not set up correctly can cause this.

I think the Webasto is the way to go. Chicago gets cold but not as bad as Winnipeg, luckily!!

Webasto for sure, I could idle my truck for an hour and still not get any heat from the vents, or I could run the Webasto for 1/2 hour and go outside to start a warm engine, and have instant heat from the vents (from what others have reported). I understand you can also wire them in to trigger the HVAC fan once it's hits a certain temp, and actually warm the cab and defrost the windows off just the Webasto! And it will use a fraction of the fuel the engine would, with none of the cold start wear & tear issues. Not a cheap gadget, but I'm very excited to try it out!

Douglas, what you're saying is its the remote start install not being wired up correctly.
I would say so as the only part of the starter system that runs on 24V is the starter itself. The entire starter switching system runs on 12V just as it would in a normal car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom