hard top for ragtop 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
here i go again, i needed a break to clear my head from the troopy build
so
i had an old 74 series hard top sitting here and with the wet summer last year i decided to make a removable fiberglass top for the ragtop 70 series.
measure, measure and one more time ... damn, i think it will work. (it also helps i saw the same idea at auction in Japan).

test truck 1991 PZJ70
donor hard top
the 'roll bar' and spreaders
PTO latch 001.jpg
PTO latch 002.jpg
PTO latch 004.jpg

remove all attaching points for factory soft top
remove snorkle top section
remove hold down screws for windshield.
PTO latch 005.jpg
PTO latch 006.jpg
PTO latch 010.jpg

remove black cover and bolts from windshield hinges
flip wipers out of harms way. if you take a look at the far wiper compared to the closer one you will the second flex section for when you fold down the windshield. the BJ73/74/75 do not have these wiper arms. so far the only 70 series i have seen with these is the ragtop versions. to fold the windshield down on the other versions you have to remove the arms completely.
parts so far and replacement windshield frame.
PTO latch 011.jpg
PTO latch 012.jpg
PTO latch 014.jpg

notice the difference between the hard top version of the windshield upper channel and the soft top version.
for those that do nto want to run the soft then you can just drill out the spot welds and reuse the same factory soft top frame to mount the hard top to.
i did not realize the channel was the only difference.
PTO latch 017.jpg
PTO latch 019.jpg
PTO latch 020.jpg

a few more differences, the ragtop has these clip recieves on the removable roll bar
the important bolt hole on the 73/74 series roll bar to keep the hard top from moving in the wind.
the ragtop doesn't have this bolt. if you don't want to change out the roll bar you could use a nutzert to hold the bolt in place. there are cheaper ways to do this build.
i was lucky since i had recieved a good deal on the replacement 74 series windshield frame. not so lucky on the hard top but ... oh well.
PTO latch 022.jpg
PTO latch 024.jpg
PTO latch 025.jpg

not sure what this switch does that is located under the windshield frame. anyone know?
slight differences between the 74 roll bar and the 70 ragtop. the bolt holes is the one and the soft top retainer grove on the 70 is the other and it is in the way for the hard top to seat properly. i would recommend the 74 series roll bar if you are going down this road. of course you could remove the spot welds if you wanted to do on the cheap.
PTO latch 026.jpg
PTO latch 027.jpg
PTO latch 031.jpg

remove roll bar
install 74 series windshield frame (purchased from Sheldon W, it is in very nice shape and extremely well packaged for the trip across country)
notice how the folding windsheild wiper arms work, pretty slick, eh?
PTO latch 030.jpg
PTO latch 032.jpg
PTO latch 033.jpg

Last edited:
the windshield folded down
the 74 series roll bar installed
ready for the hard top.
PTO latch 034.jpg
PTO latch 035.jpg
PTO latch 036.jpg

set it on, measure the needed decrease
mark the roof, if i was doing it again i would cut the upper section at the rib and the lower in the middle of the window.
hind sight 20/20 :doh:

also, remove the liner metal trim on the inside top before cutting. :whoops:
PTO latch 037.jpg
PTO latch 042.jpg
PTO latch 048.jpg

the blade goes all the way through the top section.
you need to flip the roof to do the inner upper corners and the lower section
the hard top is plastic and fiberglass combo.

yes, it is a whee bit ... nerve racking doing the cut.
PTO latch 049.jpg
PTO latch 050.jpg
PTO latch 051.jpg

set the front on
set the back on
and there you go.

i delivered it to Gozzard, he is a fiberglass wizard so why not use the pro.
i get it back the end of next week.

the top is very light, easy on and off and since i took the soft top off 3 years ago i have yet to reinstall. it is a bugger to install and not the quietest ride over 90 k/h. this will make the truck more versitile and i can still use the bikini top for summer fun.

cheers and thanks for reading.
PTO latch 054.jpg
PTO latch 055.jpg
PTO latch 056.jpg

I had a quick read through the manual about that switch under the front window frame , its the control switch so as soon as the front window frame is folded down it automatically loads up and folds out the secret rocket launcher in the back.It won't work to good with a hard top on now though

never knew they actually made a ragtop 73/74 ... humm.
a compliment from Louis, appreciated.
damn, someone removed the rocket launcher before i got the truck.
Rusty, if i get the windows installed then yes, it will be on for the Ardbeg run.

thanks for the compliments guys. it was fun ... so far.

very cool project indeed....

i wish i was there to see / help u guys with this one

I would have twisted your arm to make sure you remove the headliner BEFORE you cut the FRP top with the zip disk

didnt you refer to the detailed drawings and project specific work plan that I left there for you ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom