hard to shift + whirring noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE: April 22, 2017
There is a video a few posts below, showing off the sounds this thing makes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL:
Before my buddy tucked his 73' 40 away for winter, he one day suddenly had difficulty shifting in/out of 2nd. Sometimes it would grind going in, then it would be a feat of strength to get it out of gear. This came shortly after a 3-day wheeling adventure in central Utah. When he told me about it, I thought it could be synchro related.

When he tried to move it last week (after sitting for months), he couldn't get it into any gear (including reverse) without a lot of work. Once in a gear, it doesn't want to come out. If he double clutches it seems to work a bit better, all of this is while it's just idling in the driveway. Now I'm thinking it's clutch related.

There is also a whirring sound coming from somewhere near the clutch. It gets quieter (but doesn't go away completely) when he holds the clutch pedal down. Now I'm thinking it's a bearing issue. Maybe we have two problems simultaneously.

The master is a tad low on fluid, maybe a half-inch. I've only had a chance to watch and listen but we'll be putting the tools to it in the next couple of weeks.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions?
Complaints will be handled by Oxyartes

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I guess that'll teach me to post on a Sunday.

The master is a little low on fluid..........how about the tranny and transfer case?First thing I would do is pull a drain plug and see what-if anything comes out.Go from there.Could be multiple things.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check the clutch slave throw and double check the clutch pedal height setting. Perhaps over time a nut has loosened up. Hopefully that's all it is.

The master is a little low on fluid..........how about the tranny and transfer case?First thing I would do is pull a drain plug and see what-if anything comes out.Go from there.Could be multiple things.

Good call. We'll put it on the list.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check the clutch slave throw and double check the clutch pedal height setting. Perhaps over time a nut has loosened up. Hopefully that's all it is.

That would be nice. I'll start there.

Sounds like something is wrong internally. Does it shift fine with the engine off and wheels able to rotate? If no, then you know something is wrong in the tranny. If yes, start thinking clutch, but it doesnt rule out internal issues.

Is the clutch engaging/disengaging? if it is and you are having shifting issues in certain gears.....that doesnt sound good.

Sounds like something is wrong internally. Does it shift fine with the engine off and wheels able to rotate? If no, then you know something is wrong in the tranny. If yes, start thinking clutch, but it doesnt rule out internal issues.

Is the clutch engaging/disengaging? if it is and you are having shifting issues in certain gears.....that doesnt sound good.

I didn't think to check it with the engine off. Good idea. I can't tell i the clutch is disengaging but I somehow suspect it isn't.

Put the car in gear, push the clutch in, and try to start it. If it starts moving the clutch isnt working.

I had a clutch come apart in a tractor and jammed a piece of the disc between the clutch and the flywheel. Clutch pedal felt dead but the clutch was engaged. Didnt understand what had happened until I took it apart.

UPDATE:
It was a little low on gear oil so we've fixed that already.
The slave rod is almost as short as it goes, and the threads are filthy so I'm confident this hasn't changed since these noises started.
The slave moves in/out just like I would expect, the clutch pedal goes all the way to the floor.

There is a video of the noises (written descriptions below):

Sound #1:
~ While parked with the engine on or off, clutch in or out, it will go into any gear
~ While parked with the engine running there is a whirring sound, which changes but doesn't disappear when the clutch is in
~ While driving the whirring sound seems about the same.

Sound #2:
This is the weird one. Once in a while (maybe 1 out of 10 times) when rolling to a stop with the clutch in we get an even louder rumble/vibrating sound. It seems to be related to the first sound, but it's much louder.
~ While idling, if he shifts into neutral while holding the clutch the sound almost goes away.
~ Keeping the clutch in and shifting into gear makes the sound come back.
~ Letting out the clutch to start rolling again makes the sound go away completely.

Sound #3
While driving he can shift in/out of every gear without problem, except a short/quick grind when going into 3rd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom