Hard starting in extreme heat conditions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I dont think the FP is the problem, or condition we're experiencing here is over pressurization by the FP.

I would think that if it were vapor lock, cooling the lines, secondary fuel filter, (under hood plumbing) would be a faster remedy to return the fuel to a liquid state. That's basically what people are doing by waiting 30min for things to cool down. A spray bottle with ice water, or anything non flammable aerosol that can cool the lines. (Just a thought )

If excess vapor is bypassing the charcoal canister and exiting the fuel cap- I would start with testing purge control valve on the canister.

so maybe I was too wordy, I was trying to find a way to run the pump without turning over the engine or getting techstream out or undoing plastic trim inside the truck.
I don't mean as a fix, just to get back on the road faster. I'd circulate the fuel with the tank cap off.

Guys, I had this exact situation on my 06. It lasted for two years and I replace one cat, a cam position sensor and another sensor (I forget the name) all as Toyota service bulletins and under warranty.

Turned out the problem was that for all 100's up to 2006 the same fuel pump was used. However, for the VVTI engine, that fuel pump was not sufficient and when used extensively in high heat caused overheating. In 2nd half of 2006 and through end of 2007 production a new pump was issued. I replaced With a 2007 fuel pump (different part number then pre2006 pumps) and issue has not appeared in 2 years including a recent trip to Yosemite, 90 degree temps with 8 people in the car driving 2hours daily.

To summarize, if you have a 2006 100, it's likely you have a overheating fuel pump.

Update from My weekend drive to Frazier Park.

I Loaded up the family and gear for a weekend camping trip to Frazier Park. The park is located approximately 90 miles away, It was extremely hot this weekend, the hottest was 113° and about 90 when we arrived at the park. Also, drove from 1000ft elevation to 6000ft elevation. the LC drove great, but after stopping the car, i smelled gas and I heard gurgling from the filler port and when I opened it, there were hot fumes coming out, I believe the fuel inside the tank was boiling and it had spilled out of the filled neck. I tried to started and it sputtered a couple of times, then it wouldn't started all. when i turned the ignition, i don't recall hearing the fuel pump prime as it usually does. after two hours i tried again and it started just fine and ran great. we drove back with no problems in 100° heat, Although we were driving downhill on the return trip And uphill on our trip to the park, so a much lower load. I don't know if this was an overheated fuel pump or vapor lock. I'll be talking to my mechanic on Tuesday and I will post any updates. btw...my tank was 2/3 when the stalling issues happened.

so far i have replaced:
-fuel pump with updated part number 160 (A mechanic whom I'm not familiar with did the work and I believe it was an upgraded pump)
-Fuel filter approximately 2 years ago
-cam sensor Approximately 3 years ago
-Charcoal canister approximately 3 years ago
-left catalytic converter approximately 4 years ago

This issue seems to be back, however, before I would be driving in high heat and under heavy load and engine would just Sputter and stop. This time, Everything worked fine on the drive up, it was only after I stopped and tried to restart, that this issue Ended up coming up.

Last edited:
Don't ever shut it off?

Or I can drive the LC off of a cliff to stop the problem entirely...but I was hoping for a practical solution :).

Or I can drive the LC off of a cliff to stop the problem entirely...but I was hoping for a practical solution :).

I don't have one for you, but when you figure it out inquiring minds want to know.

Experienced this today with 100 degree weather and regular unleaded in the tank. Outside temp cooled down and she starts right up. I rarely ever put regular. Nothing but premium moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom