Hard Rear Collision in Denver- December 8th, 23 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang- sad post. A wingnut Subaru driver slammed into me yesterday- interstate was stop and go and he didn’t touch his brakes and just high speed slammed me. I saw him coming- and had time to slay out load ‘I’m about to get hit hard’.
He lifted up the rear of 80, and then hit me again once it’s landed. He hit me so hard it ejected two pairs of skis that then disappeared somehow. This one only has 155k miles on it.
Anybody had a similar injury to their rig?
What would y’all do? We all know it a ‘total’- if I could get the rear doors air and water tight we’d be fine- and yes of course the body and frame are bent. Once I pulled the trim out of the rear passenger tire I drove it home- it’s fine (but you guys already knew that- it’s a 80)

Thanks for the condolences and hopefully some useful info- what would you do if this was your 80?
IMG_0413.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg
IMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

Hey gang- sad post. A wingnut Subaru driver slammed into me yesterday- interstate was stop and go and he didn’t touch his brakes and just high speed slammed me. I saw him coming- and had time to slay out load ‘I’m about to get hit hard’.
He lifted up the rear of 80, and then hit me again once it’s landed. He hit me so hard it ejected two pairs of skis that then disappeared somehow. This one only has 155k miles on it.
Anybody had a similar injury to their rig?
What would y’all do? We all know it a ‘total’- if I could get the rear doors air and water tight we’d be fine- and yes of course the body and frame are bent. Once I pulled the trim out of the rear passenger tire I drove it home- it’s fine (but you guys already knew that- it’s a 80)

Thanks for the condolences and hopefully some useful info- what would you do if this was your 80?
View attachment 3502517View attachment 3502518View attachment 3502519View attachment 3502520

View attachment 3502516
That blows! Really sorry you have to go through that. Is/was it a daily driver or just for adventures? Maybe convert it to an 80 UTE? A buddy of mine with same rig is doing something sort of like that. He’s chopping the roof behind b pillars to install a popup to match the roof line. Given how low down the body the damage is on yours maybe that’s less of an option. But if the chassis is still ok, perhaps you can convert the rear end in some way.

Sorry about your rig getting hit. Hope everyone was okay.

I don’t know anything about fixing frame damage. Here’s a good read with some good advice from a recent incident in Colorado.

1702157842514.png

Here's the gist of what I was talking about (only this is a 200 I believe). Obviously a major transformation, but if you're intent on keeping it and the whole rear half is compromised, maybe it's worth considering.

What's the insurance situation? I'd get the guy for everything you can and get another 80 honestly. Looks like a really hard hit.

That blows! Really sorry you have to go through that. Is/was it a daily driver or just for adventures? Maybe convert it to an 80 UTE? A buddy of mine with same rig is doing something sort of like that. He’s chopping the roof behind b pillars to install a popup to match the roof line. Given how low down the body the damage is on yours maybe that’s less of an option. But if the chassis is still ok, perhaps you can convert the rear end in some way.
I like where your going with that- I had thought about a westfalla type pop up too- before this happened.
It was a daily in town- I’ve got a 16 and 15yo that would be occasionally getting around locally- and it’ll go to the mountains in the winter in there’s a storm, or in summer for some Colorado adventures. We all know it’s crazy capable in stock form.
Sorry about your rig getting hit. Hope everyone was okay.

I don’t know anything about fixing frame damage. Here’s a good read with some good advice from a recent incident in Colorado.

thanks for that link- pretty useful conversation there. USAA is my insurer- and I have comprehensive, we’ll just see how the process unfolds. Thanks!

That frame is toast.

The other driver is at fault. I’d be gathering comps across the country for 150k mile clean 80/450 and going after their insurance for full replacement value.

involve yours if needed

Read the similar threads like linked above. Don’t take their initial offer. Take care of the sore neck :)

What's the insurance situation? I'd get the guy for everything you can and get another 80 honestly. Looks like a really hard hit.
I'm USAA with comprehensive coverage- $3k in losses between skis and roof box. The at fault driver had insurance and was cited by the police so he's clearly at-fault. I think you guys are on the right track, a replacement is ideal, but this one still has life left in it- would be great for a trail rig at least. I started a claim with USAA- my experience has been to go through my own insurance and let them subrogate with the other company.

Looks like everything behind the B pillar is toast with how badly your doors are tweaked.

Definitely worth buying it back, either for your own parts, or hook someone up willing to part it out. I assume the interior is pretty cherry still due to the lower mileage and there's plenty of parts that would make it worth someone's while.

As someone who has tried to rebuild a rolled truck (far different damage pattern, yet similar in extensive amount of repairs needed, not just the obvious), I ended up swapping bodies, since my frame was still good. Salvage the drivetrain, interior, body panels, front parts, and get the Suby owner's insurance to put you into another rig.

Glad you're okay.

I'm betting that frame is tweaked and a chop
is out. If you do go for a chop, check out Mule Expedition Outfitters for some sweet canopy options.

If you can buy it back and have the time/space/energy it could be a goldmine of parts.

Glad you are okay but as others have said that frame is toast. But I would suggest buying it back from insurance for your own good or parting it out for others.

Also, do not settle with the first offer your lawyers get from their insurance company. Get treatment for you back, and for anyone else that was in the car. My wife was in an accident and still deals with issues from the accident.

If you end up getting a replacement 80, might be worth buying that one back from insurance for a parts vehicle.
Considering that- depending on the numbers- but the thought has crossed my mind
Glad you're okay.

I'm betting that frame is tweaked and a chop
is out. If you do go for a chop, check out Mule Expedition Outfitters for some sweet canopy options.

If you can buy it back and have the time/space/energy it could be a goldmine of parts.
thanks for all the replies. I actually do have the space for it now. I don’t have a lawyer and I don’t know if I’ll need one or not. Leah is always backed up for like a year and a half on oil changes and they cost like an arm and a leg to even look at anything. I think they’re quote for exhaust work was like triple what I got it done for I’m sure they do good work And didn’t say anything negative about them. They’re just hard to schedule and pretty expensive and don’t need too much of my business.

Considering that- depending on the numbers- but the thought has crossed my mind

thanks for all the replies. I actually do have the space for it now. I don’t have a lawyer and I don’t know if I’ll need one or not. Leah is always backed up for like a year and a half on oil changes and they cost like an arm and a leg to even look at anything. I think they’re quote for exhaust work was like triple what I got it done for I’m sure they do good work And didn’t say anything negative about them. They’re just hard to schedule and pretty expensive and don’t need too much of my business.
I would honestly lawyer up, leave the negotiations to the experts. Not sure what percentage the lawyers take in your state but here in AZ they take. 33% but it is worth it as they will also negotiate with the health care providers on your behalf to reduce the bills. But this also increases the amount your lawyer gets too.

Sorry about your ride, but glad you're okay. Good luck with the aftermath.

I had a total where I did a buy-back for the totalled rig once for parts since I knew I was going to replace it with the same thing. Depending on how the numbers add up and if you have the space, that could really be a good way to go. With 155k, I would be surprised if you couldn't sell just the engine on here pretty quickly for what the buy-back costs... Someone with a blown head gasket would probably snap it up, just to avoid cracking theirs open.

Parting a rig is a lot of work though. You may find yourself walking around it until you get annoyed and sell the whole thing off. Also, be aware that if you post it on CL or FB marketplace you will get every stupid question in the world about s*** that you state clearly in the ad.

My experience:
Ad: Engine, transmission and transfer case are not available. Cash only, no shipping.
Message: How much to ship to Nigeria if I send you a money order

The upside is that you could probably sell it all on here.

Hey gang- got some updates-

USAA was very straightforward with the valuation- they used comps from the date of loss back 90days and they came up with around $19,100, but then deducted $1,300 for interior condition.
I filed a separate claim for the damaged roof box and the 2 pairs of lost skis, and then there’s also the medical claim.
My neighbor also pointed out that the other driver’s license plate was imprinted on my bumper!

I have found another Lexus gold body and we will slowly resurrect this one, but I also found a ‘97 Lexus with 228k that’s a little rough, but currently is getting a glow up.

IMG_0618.jpeg

Sad day. To me seems like the offer is good. I’d say you could find another.
I do like the rear camper half cab pictured above. But I’d go for max payout for another
80. Then if possible see if you can get the wreck back for parts or ‘fun time’ conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom