half cabs soft or hard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

back in 1982 my first vehicles was an fj40 with a full hard top and a half soft top. The half soft top had soft doors, 1 bow and went to the floor, so it was not one for a fj45, but made for an fj40. The tag on it was from some speed shop in Va. Cannot find any pictures yet been looking for a while. Once I put a roll bar in I had to cut it and add velcro, but it still worked. Looked real cool.

something like this
_DSC0002 saltrig.jpg
_DSC0410 saltrig.jpg

Here's my old Kayline top.
fj jamboree 98 001.jpg

I have an older unused 1/2 soft top and doors that I have been holding on to for several years. PM me if you would be interested in mine....

I asked for one when I did a group order in 2006, I basically got the front part of the fj40 bow set but I still need the latter part you will be making to make it work.

Working on this as we speak.. I should have a proto ready soon.
Ehsan

Here's my old Kayline top.
The absolute first item Downey ever made was the FJ40 1/2 Cab. They were originally made for us in Long Beach, windows were sewn-in, not molded-in. Later we had K-line become our supplier, then the tops looked like the one shown here with molded-in windows (much nicer). We supplied a sheet metal wall for the lower 1/2, behind drivers seat, had to remove rear heater. You moved very rear bow forward, then we gave short connectors from main bow to rear bow. These died from a lack of popularity.

there is a picture of the downey one on the 77 catolog rear cover.looks pretty sharp lime green with white top .

The absolute first item Downey ever made was the FJ40 1/2 Cab. They were originally made for us in Long Beach, windows were sewn-in, not molded-in. Later we had K-line become our supplier, then the tops looked like the one shown here with molded-in windows (much nicer). We supplied a sheet metal wall for the lower 1/2, behind drivers seat, had to remove rear heater. You moved very rear bow forward, then we gave short connectors from main bow to rear bow. These died from a lack of popularity.

i'd like to see some pictures of the early 1/2 cabs...and also later ones....have any that you can scan in?

Here was my hard top half cab.
That looks very sharp.
Initially that is the look I wanted , then to make room for groceries , i went longer.
myfj.jpg

Vicm

Would you have a few more pics of your truck. I really like the added space. Thought about putting a FJ45 cab on, but I know it would be too tight. I really like what you have done.

Here's a couple pics of my buddies rig with his custom top he made.. took a regular top and made it shorter...

He likes it and says it keeps him nice and warm..

Edit: Just noticed this thread is a couple years old..
IMG_2036 - Copy.jpg
IMG_2059.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom